Clothes .... Do you have many ?

Caporegime
I've been sorting today and realised I wear none of my clothes ...

I lean towards old faithful T shirt and and jeans..and have two pairs of linen pants for work ...

I have a trusty short .... And that's about it.

Are any of you the same ?

Man of Honour
I have too many and used to wear few of them. But I'm in the process of cleaning out my old wardrobe and building a new one, having recently discovered a genuine interest in clothes that I never used to have. The reason I have/had too many is because I've hung onto a few sentimental items that in all honesty I won't wear anymore but can't throw out... just in case ;) But I buy more wisely now and choose classic items. I also now decide what I want before I look for one rather than seeing something and thinking "Oh that looks good so I'll buy it". I've found I don't tend to wear those items much if I haven't specifically gone out to find them.

e.g. I'm building my new wardrobe around shirts, a few non-distressed jeans, trousers, classic jackets (blazers/sports jackets, peacoat, leather jacket, etc) and a wide selection of shoes (again the classics like oxfords, brogues, chukkas, loafers, etc). The idea is to build an interchangeable collection so most of my trousers will complement most of my shirts which will equally complement most of my jackets.

As I've got older I've realised that trainers and tshirts are OK for casual but don't really suit someone in their mid 40's anymore so I'm moving away from them to some extent.

I've also found that I'm trying to move upmarket in quality. I couldn't care less what label is on it (I never wear anything with a blatant label or logo). But the actual quality of the clothes is increasingly important to me now.

Man of Honour
I lean towards the same old faithfuls for day to day wear but I've got a ridiculous amount in the wardrobe quite a bit of it only worn 2-3 times and thats after sending half of it to charity last summer :| i.e. jeans wise I've got 2 pairs of Levi 501, 2 pairs Wrangler texas stretch, 2 pairs of Crosshatch 55 in regular use and about a dozen pairs of lee cooper, armani, burton and I think the odd diesel that I've barely worn.

Find it hard to find clothes I like and often make do with something close until I find something that is perfect i.e. the Wranglers are a new purchase and pretty much replacing the Levis as they are closer to the fit and style I was looking for.

Associate
I have too many. Mainly because family members buy me stuff for xmas and birthdays - even though I beg them not to lol. They sit in my wardrobe for ayear or so then I sling 'em!

Soldato
I'm not a woman so no.

We'll take your word for it. :D

I stopped drinking about 3 years ago and don't go out much, as in socializing. I still wear stuff I bought nearly 10 years ago. I have a pair of Wrangler boots I bought 16 years ago and they are still in good nick. I'm just more jeans and T-shirts these days, jumpers in the winter.
I usually buy all my gear whilst on my travels, mainly with work.

Soldato
Most of my clothes are dreadful. These days unless i can drag some poor woman around to tell me what actually looks socially acceptable then i stick to bargain buys.

Man of Honour
Only women count their clothes. I bagged four sack fulls a few months ago during a major de-cluttering but then I am guilty of never throwing out stuff that is old or doesn't fit. Might now rent out some draw space to my wife.

Caporegime
OP
What do you have that you don't wear?

Trousers
Jumpers
Shirts
Couple of jackets
Couple pair of black leather shoes
A suit ( interviews and formal )

I have 5 pairs of ZX 700...M and S essential T shirts various colours as they wash nice and three pairs of Next jeans.One pair of 501 unworn as belly is a bit big.

Few plain zipped hoodies for colder days and a Parker for winter...

I get in from work ... Take boxers off go commando in my old shorts and flip flop it up ... In winter replace the shorts with a pair of joggers and socks.
In the summer months I leave my linen pants in work and change when I get into work out my bike gear
One pair of ZX 700 in navy I leave in work... One pair at home which are knackered for garden etc...and one pair for best ...two unused pair in boxes ready when needed...
I tend to stick to multi options when I find the ones I like
Buying trainers and choosing is stressful so at least I don't have to think about trainers for a few years lol

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a load of t-shirts, but they're mostly vendor or event ones that I've picked up, usually for free, when I've been away.

Everything else I only have a couple/few of. Except for socks and boxers, and I have a lot of socks.

Man of Honour
I have spent a lot of money on clothes in the last year, jackets, shirts, jeans so mostly smart casual stuff. I've also lost just over 2 stone and have more to go so frankly I now need to spend a load more on clothes as the ones I bought are all to big :(

Man of Honour
I have a lot of 'house clothes', stuff that I'd wear to lounge around in but not for going out. I don't wear a lot of it anymore. I don't have a huge amount of clothes but I have enough that I could go a week or two without needing to laundry.

Caporegime
Yes, way too many. I tend to have a clean out every year or so to a local charity shop, but haven't for a while for some reason.

I have some clothes that haven't ever been worn, and probably never will be worn. Complete waste of money. :(

Man of Honour
I have spent a lot of money on clothes in the last year, jackets, shirts, jeans so mostly smart casual stuff. I've also lost just over 2 stone and have more to go so frankly I now need to spend a load more on clothes as the ones I bought are all to big :(

Ha, exactly the same here :)

I've got multiple jeans gradually going down in size from 36" to 30" and most of them are hardly worn.

Man of Honour
I have a lot of 'house clothes', stuff that I'd wear to lounge around in but not for going out. I don't wear a lot of it anymore. I don't have a huge amount of clothes but I have enough that I could go a week or two without needing to laundry.

I used to (still do?) keep some older / tatty / ugly clothes to wear when doing DIY, gardening, lounging about etc but I've come to the realisation that I may as well just wear decent clothes all the time as I have enough of them. Anything that I wouldn't wear outside the house I should probably just bin.

One thing that doesn't help is that I have a slightly unusual body shape whereby my legs are short (28") relative to my height (i.e. my torso:legs ratio is considerably above average). Aside from issues finding trousers with short leg, it means that sometimes casual tops are a bit too short and expose my waistline if I raise my arms above my head. So I've got some otherwise nice polos etc that I don't really like going out in. I find I have to buy most tops in XL which can make them a bit loose/baggy up top or on the arms.

Overall I have far too many clothes and could probably go a month without doing any washing if it was all clean and well organised.
One nightmare is socks, I have about 35-40(?) pairs but mostly with patterns etc on so pairing them up is a fulltime job in itself. One of these days I will finally bin them all and buy loads of identical pairs.

edit: another bad habit is I've kept some older clothes where I like the design but they don't fit any more. And it goes both ways i.e. I've got some trousers that are too loose around the waist having lost a bit of weight over the past year, but equally I've also got stuff from 8-12 years ago when I weighed even less. The stuff that's too small I should probably just get rid of, since if I end up dropping back down to a Medium / 32 waist then I'll probably be happy anyway even if I do need to buy new clothes... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom