• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon FURY thread

Caporegime
The Fury/Fury X aren't that bad though? Perhaps a little expensive for the performance they offer, but nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be?

The stock issue is the biggest problem with the Fury X, realistically for most people it hasn't launched yet, stock just doesn't exist!

They're not bad, but they're still second to the market and second best and more expensive :p? Fury X compared to the 980Ti.

Fury's unknown quantity till price is out, but even then, in the context of performance upgrade, it's meager. To be perfectly honest, I found the whole 970/980 to be massively underwhelming too, bar what they offered as a package.
Lets not forget the hype the Fury X had. Many people were banging on about "Unprecedented performance" with its paper specs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sad thing is the 390X nor GTX 980 are a worthwhile upgrade for me with a 290.

290's released at about £300 2 years ago, i paid £320 for my PCS+, now you can have +10% for £350.

What a load of old ####!

I totally agree, Maybe it will be worth upgrading when dx12 games are out.

Associate
Any idea of what time the fury will be available at tomorrow to order and what the price will be. Rocking an overclocked 290 here and just looking for an upgrade but not sure either are worth the cash.

Soldato
With the current pricing levels, the AMD Radeon Fury series might very well be seen as another miscarriage in the GPU industry. We want AMD's Fury to succeed, we need the competition. Currently however AMD is letting the competition walk all over the R9 Fury series, as well as its own R9 390X in terms of value.

Ouch

Soldato
Fiji just isn't performing as well as it should, I said this so many times but its worth saying over and over again. 45% more Shaders, 60% more memory bandwidth, clock for clock at 1440P its 19% faster than Hawaii-XT.

Whats wrong with it? seriously, overclock a Hawaii-XT and you can't tell them apart.

Poor optimization from drivers, high cpu overhead, no mantle and looks like shader performance becoming saturated. That's my guess.

Caporegime
Fiji just isn't performing as well as it should, I said this so many times but its worth saying over and over again. 45% more Shaders, 60% more memory bandwidth, clock for clock at 1440P its 19% faster than Hawaii-XT.

Whats wrong with it? seriously, overclock a Hawaii-XT and you can't tell them apart.

The same 4 shader engines (but more compute units per shader engine), the same number of geometry engine, same number of ROPs.

Having more shaders only helps you if :
A) The game is limited by shader performance
2) You can effectively utilize the extra shaders. The more you have the harder it is to maintain efficiency and peak load.

I expect 6 Shader engines with the same number of compute uits per shader engine and 2 geometery engines per shader engine would have boosted performance a load but was infeasible on 28nm.

Caporegime
Honestly i just cant fathom what possessed AMD to release the Fiji cards as they are, considering what Nvidia done with the Maxwell cards, surely AMD must have known it wouldnt be well received? :(

DX12 will help us 290 owners as well, i dont even want to buy a new monitor now til i see the next round of cards, as you pretty much lock yourself into a vendor now with monitors, i need to see what Nvidia and AMD bring in 2016.

Sadly it take a long time to go through all the design work, tape outs and processing so once they commit there is no going back. Once the tiny Maxwell V2 in the 750Ti was released they probably knew they were going to have issues but by then it was too late and they just had to push n with their design decisions.

Soldato

Ironic from HardOCP. 780Ti came in at $150 more than 290X yet gave very similar gameplay experience (less than 10% faster overall) on all games apart from the handful with PhysX. Yet HardOCP decided it was worth a Silver award.

Don't get me wrong, I think Fury is overpriced at anything more than £400 considering the ~10% slower 980 is available for £360ish.

It is clear AMD have decided they will no longer sell their GPUs cheap as they don't want to be seen as the cheap alternative. The problem for AMD is that neither Fury card is seen as a truly viable alternative to Nvidia's offerings.

Fury is marginally faster than 980, yet offers no tangible gameplay benefits.
Fury X does have one benefit over 980Ti (AiO cooler as standard). On the other hand it is demonstrably slower at anything below 4K.

But these are not big enough reasons for anyone to go red over green. Overall FuryX is a decent card for 4K users, but the 980Ti is a better at the same price. Fury is just Meh to be honest. For me Fiji has made people sit up and take notice of Nvidia.

Overall Fiji will be seen as a failure IMHO, regardless of the fact they are reasonably competitive in certain scenarios.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 980ti in my basket waiting until tomorrow to click buy.

I'm 99% sure the Fury price is gonna be a big nope from me and I'll go green. After 15 years of AMD cards this is how it ends...I feel so dirty.

Caporegime
Wonder if these are flashable....seeing as the chip and hbm are all in one package and the fact that the sapphire card seems to be exactly the same pcb as the fury x. Assuming the sapphire one has the dual bios id imagine it wont be long before we find out. That being said reviews seem to suggest not all that much between this and the fury x performance wise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom