The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
Update on my situation with Asus. After contacting them on Friday by phone and by email I now have to go back through the whole RMA process. I emailed them explaining how cheesed off I was with the whole situation, that to receive panel no.5, filthy, battered box and then to plug it in and it had a faulty panel was just terrible service. As a premium panel that i paid £699 for and I am now having to constantly RMA it, making sure I'm at home for when the replacement comes, this is just a total inconvenience. I'm now stuck borrowing a 14" Dell from work as I do not have the funds to just buy another panel although I want to. Never will I buy an Asus product again. To make things worse, I have a Maximus Impact VII and the optical out has died so I need to RMA that. Mind you, after this fiasco I'm more likely to just throw it in the bin and get a different mobo. Anyway, the following is Asus reply to my email of complaint.

Dear Chris Whitney,

Thank you for contacting ASUS and raising your complaint with our support team.
We are terribly sorry to be advised that you are experiencing issues with your ASUS product.

When the product is out of the DOA period we sent a refurbished LCD, if you have problems with this product please go to the website and ask for a repair number that we can change the monitor for you.
We cannot send you a new LCD monitor due to that the product is out of the DOA period.

I am really sorry for the inconveniences caused to you.

Kind regards
Mieke v T.
ASUS UK Support team

And just like that ASUS has lost me as a potential customer.

Associate
I just want to add I am not trying to wage a war on Asus nor am I trying to put people off buying their products but it's like this, I had read many times about their customer service record and I ignored the warnings thinking I would never have to use them. After experiencing Dell's fantastic customer services this is just horrific. I am fed up with having to RMA time after time. Part of me just wants to throw the damn screen away and increase my debt and buy anything other than another Asus. Madly, since posting my previous message, one of my colleagues has just received an RMA on another Asus panel (not a ROG I must add) and it's dead on delivery.

Last edited:
Associate
When you apply for your RMA on the Asus site, it has a drop down menu offering two options, Technical Support and Complaints. I decided to make a complaint using this offered option and I have just received my reply:

Dear Chris Whitney,

If you wish to file a formal complaint regarding our products and/ or service with our head office in the UK, please send your complaints letter to the address below. Unfortunately our complaints departments does not handle complaints over the phone due to legal reasons.

ASUS UK Service manager
1st floor Hemel One Boundary way
Hemel Hempstead
HP2 7YU

Our apologies for the inconveniences caused to you.

Kind regards
Mieke v T.
ASUS UK Support team

So pen and paper it is then :)

Associate
I have had the monitor since release. As a gaming monitor it does exactly what it claims, delivers the fastest smoothest flat panel gaming experience you can have. It has the quickest OSD, excellent positioning etc BUT, there must be an issue with the build quality which is backed up by the worst RMA service I have ever dealt with. I'm sure there are people who have had no problems, I just wasn't one of them. I'm still waiting for Asus to send out another reconditioned panel.

Soldato
All the stories in this thread have put me off this monitor

Yea I had one for a week and just got it refunded after seeing all the complaints. It had a dead pixel anyway.

Everyone else I know who has bought one has had some kind of issue. Don't risk it tbh, get something else.

Last edited:
Soldato
All of this certainly doesn't bode well for their upcoming Swift PG297Q IPS version... how and why are Asus so bad at this!? Criminal. OCUK should refuse to stock their products with reports such as these.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I've had no issues bar a self-inflicted scuff.

But I must admit my turtle head is out at the prospect of having to deal with them over a major issue.

Associate
I got my replacement one back yesterday and so far so excellent! I just need to find decent colour settings I'm happy with.

Man of Honour
Yeah but you dont hear from the ones that are fine like mine had no issues at all.

Thing is though - you don't spend premium range money on a panel and expect to get a refurb back, never mind a grubby refurb, if it fails within the first year or so - that just isn't good customer service.

If anyone else was making something comparable Asus would not have my money.

Associate
For now I have bought the Samsung s29e790c. Lovely panel but the downgrade from 144HZ to 60HZ is hard to adjust to in FPS. Trade off, lovely colours, better viewing angles. I do like the slight curve and build quality. If I was a competitive gamer though, I don't think I could keep it but as a D3 POE Grim Dawn kinda guy it's just fine.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I had a bug crawling between the screen and the display last night. One of those weird little mini bugs about 2mm x 0.5mm that wriggle quickly like a caterpillar.

My reflex of disgust to destroy it was quickly placated with the desire to not have the blotch of an insect carcass on the screen forever more.

Why is there a gap for these little buggers to crawl down?

Associate
I had a bug crawling between the screen and the display last night. One of those weird little mini bugs about 2mm x 0.5mm that wriggle quickly like a caterpillar.

My reflex of disgust to destroy it was quickly placated with the desire to not have the blotch of an insect carcass on the screen forever more.

Why is there a gap for these little buggers to crawl down?

That's a Thunder fly (I think) I had one crawl into one of my cheap monitors and its long dead but will be there forever :( there really annoying.

Those screens should be sealed free from dust and insects.

Soldato
Still having issues with long cables. Tried quite a few now and always seem to get flickers or black screens randomly for a couple of seconds.

Can anyone suggest a cable 4 metres or over that works with this monitor @ 144Hz issue free?

^^^
This

Mines been flawless since day one.

Seems a shame to sell it now I've gone to 4K.

Curious how you found the move from this @ 144Hz to a 4K monitor. Was the change worth it? Did you go for a larger screen or one of the smaller ones with G Sync?

Soldato
OP
Curious how you found the move from this @ 144Hz to a 4K monitor. Was the change worth it? Did you go for a larger screen or one of the smaller ones with G Sync?

Loving the 4K (Philips 40")

Prefer the better colours and image on the VA panel.

The only game that I can really spot the diff going from 120/144 to 60hz is BF4, notice a little bit of lag. Didn't use Gsync a lot as I preferred ULMB.

Still playing with the settings at the mo, but no regrets about the switch.

Hope this helps:)

Associate
I'm still waiting to hear about my replacement. The RMA was arranged last Friday for my
faulty RMA'd panel and still I wait. If I hadn't bought a monitor on my Credit Card it would be over 3 weeks now since I had a working panel. Tried ringing the number on the RMA email only to be told I have to email as they can't help. Yay ;)

Back
Top Bottom