Dell U3415W 34" Monitor First Impressions

Associate
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Dell U3415W Monitor from OC and as per usual with OC i got it the following day so great, fast service as usual.

I think its important to mention that the U3415W is a replacement from a Dell Ultrasharp 3000WFP 30" monitor and i currently have it set up with my dell 24" ultrasharp.

So first impressions so far is im liking the width and overall space of the monitor, as a web designer i must admit i do miss the height that the 30" ultrasharp gave me but so far my biggest gripe/worry is the fact that despite the drivers and settings the screen feels a little washed out next to my 5 year old dell ultrasharp. I have a post it note on my desktop as an example and it is a rich strong yellow colour on my 24" dell yet seems a little washed out on my new U3415W screen. As i work with graphics this worries me a little as it was one of my first questions to OC when ordering this that it had accurate colours and if im honest at the moment it kinda reminds me of a cheaper panel eg my sons samsung tn panel as apposed to the quality of my previous and current Dell Ultrasharps.

I have the monitor plugged in as MDP which im assuming is correct ?

Would really appreciate if anyone has any help or advice on this, am i being over picky or perhaps neive to think it would compare to my previous Ultrasharp screens ?

Does anyone else have this screen or can anyone point me in the direction of setting it up better or at least shed some light on this ?:confused:

Associate
OP
I thought it was worth mentioning here on the forums my continued experience of the Dell U3415W Monitor in hope it may help others who are considering the screen.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion based around colours and graphic design in general, as an all round monitor for movies or gaming this monitor is spectacular but as a person replacing this screen as a main Dell Ultrasharp it just doesnt hit the sweet spot for me for colours. I am aware its an LG screen and will differ somewhat from my other Dell US monitors but despite tweaking it on and off for days i just cannot find a happy medium. I feel its really lacks in rich blues like my other dell ultrasharps and even with several of the settings and different profiles setup i still couldnt help feel the screen felt washed out and similar to cheaper TN panels.

I will be returning the monitor and trying to get the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-DE as a replacement and am really hoping that it fulfills my needs.

Soldato
I replaced my U2412M with this monitor and I find it excellent. Have no problems with the colours personally and find no lag when gaming. The width with the added curve is just... :D:D:D

Soldato
If you're comparing it to the 3008WFP; the U3415W will not be able to match the saturation of the 3008WFP. The U3415W is a standard gamut monitor, covering the sRGB colour space fully and a bit beyond but not reaching any other colour space standards. The 3008WFP has a massive colour space, covering AdobeRGB and beyond. Naturally colours are going to look far more saturated on the 3008WFP and may look 'washed out' in comparison on the U3415W, but that says nothing for colour accuracy.

Associate
OP
Dont get me wrong the size and curve of the monitor is great and it looks superb for gaming but the colour accuracy isnt great (especially blues) compared to my other ultrasharps. I just assumed with it being an "ultrasharp" it would be as good but obviously not :(

Soldato
How are you measuring colour accuracy, though? It sounds as if you're comparing colours by eye and are used to deeper saturation, as above. What is the 24" model you have?

Associate
OP
Yeah maybe i am, yes i am going by eye yes but as a designer its how i base my work and just what im used to. i have the 2408 ultrasharp and the colours (especially blue) are much deeper and more vibrant. Great examples are the skype blue or xbox one green shades. Both look rich and like they are supposed to but look dull on this new screen no matter what i do i cannot get it anywhere near when tweaking the settings.

Maybe its just what im used to but my old 3000wfp was as good as my 24 as is my sons year old 23 ultrasharp. This U3415W has just really let me down. I just expected the same from this ultrasharp as well.

Last edited:
Associate
I got mine this week and have to say I love it. No noticeable bleed and the colours are perfect. That's coming from an Apple cinema display. Can't fault this thing in anyway.

Associate
OP
Yeah does seem most people absolutey love it !! i must be getting too old or im so used to the higher saturation older models because i cannot get used to it when designing at all !!

Don't get me wrong its an awesome screen and looks phenomenal on games etc and if it was for casual use and gaming i would be keeping it !

Associate
I've just bought one of these after dithering for awhile and must say I am really impressed. I have been using a 27" 1440p Dell 2712 for almost 3 years so am used to the colours and slight brightness to the edges when displaying total black.

for playing games it is great and I have not upgraded my 780 gtx just yet until the prices come down but it plays games great still.

have given the 27" to my daughter to play minecraft on in 1080p res!

Caporegime
I've just bought one of these after dithering for awhile and must say I am really impressed. I have been using a 27" 1440p Dell 2712 for almost 3 years so am used to the colours and slight brightness to the edges when displaying total black.

for playing games it is great and I have not upgraded my 780 gtx just yet until the prices come down but it plays games great still.

have given the 27" to my daughter to play minecraft on in 1080p res!

What games have you been running on that 780 gtx ? :)

I'm dithering too.

Associate
My single 780 struggled with new games @1400p so there's no way I'd get playable fps at higher settings on this. I have a TX now and I'm still concerned one may not be enough to power this monitor

I'm playing BF3 so admittidly not playing the latest games like witcher 3. I only like single graphics cards so will be getting a single 980ti reference model when the price has come down to around £450.

As long as it will run Fallout 4 then that's all I care about.

Associate
I just read the review of this monitor this morning then saw this thread. I've been tempted by curved ultrawide to replace my current 27" 1440p Asus. The review seemed favourable. Are you still not happy with it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-u3415w-34-inch-ultra-wide-curved-monitor,4186.html

I dithered and asked myself to justify the £650 price tag but it is worth it in my opinion. Purists will say that the colours are not spot on or it has backlight bleed but I really don't notice. It does take a week of using it to get used to the difference like changing to a mechanical keyboard etc.

Associate
The only issue I have had with this monitor, bar the obvious bleed issues that come with it.

I have gone through a few of these, but the issue is present in all of them. Might be down to needing a much better cable, but I have gone through a few of them already as well.

Anyway, if DP1.2 is used, then the display will randomly go black. Sometimes it's very bad and goes black every minute or so, or something not bad at all, and goes black randomly every couple of hours. It typcially only last for few seconds, but can be the most annoying thing ever.

Switching DP1.2 off will stop it from happening. However, that prevents the user of daisy chaining the screen, which sucks because I have another 2 Dell 2715's here.

Soldato
Now people have had some time with these monitors does anyone have a feel for how it might compare to my existing Dell2711 in terms of quality, IPS glow etc? I know there have been some concerns but I've been happy with my 27 so if the IPS glow etc are of a similar magnitude I could probably live with it just fine?

I could just order one and DSR but I'd rather not do that to OCUK if it turns out general opinion is the 3415 is much worse. My other option is to wait for the Acer but that could have it's own challenges and a significantly higher price point by the look of it. General desktop use and some gaming - not doing any colour sensitive photoshop etc. One caveat is I have it in a VERY bright room so tend to have backlight etc turned all the way to "11" :)

PCM/Badass - any thoughts? Give it a try or wait for the Acer?

Back
Top Bottom