** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
Likewise bought from a competitor and due to the return policy and apart from the 2 pin plug and the two bright pixles ( white on white) as per my previous screenshots cant complain. Currently selling my other monitor.Using the mini Dp cable provided and no issues. Defo a keeper for me. Happy you got a good one

Assuming you got from the same place as I did with the 2 pin plug, send their customer services a complaint form about it. They offered me 5pc (£23) off the price. As it happens I've returned the monitor for the Phillips 40" 4k one so didn't take them up on their offer.

Soldato
Possibly. Samsung might do a 3440X1440 VA. The only other screen is the Acer Predator XR341CK that looks good http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm but they also brought us the, Acer XB270HU - The worlds Worst IPS, 1440p, 144hz with Gsync.

Samsung already do a 3440x1440 VA in the S34E790C... or did you mean they'd be doing this with Freesync/G-Sync? I've not seen or heard anything about that, but it would be nice if they did. Acer clearly don't know what the hell they're doing!! I predict bad things for the XR34... how anyone thinks they're going to turn the monumental disaster that is the XB270HU in to something vastly superior is beyond me, especially with a panel that is already known to have bleed and glow issues in the Dell/LG panels it's already featured in... and yes, it IS the same panel, just overclocked.

Caporegime
urgh still so tempted by this, can't see us getting any other 144hz IPS freesync screens this year.... why can't asus just have better qc and cs!!!!!!

Soldato
urgh still so tempted by this, can't see us getting any other 144hz IPS freesync screens this year.... why can't asus just have better qc and cs!!!!!!

Having both those issues isn't good hense why I haven't brought one but if you go to a decent retailer you will at least get a good returns policy :) Sad it has to come to that sometimes though :(

Caporegime
Yup, the majority of monitor manufacturers are a joke these days, asus along with acer and lg... I would never touch unless as you said you get a very good retailer, of which there is only really 1 (for long term support) that would be good if anything were to happen within a year.

I am just hoping what badass rumoured comes true and soon (benq version of this screen) but I doubt it or we at least won't see anything until winter probably :(

Soldato

well, I don't know will this affect your decision in anyway, but, I would advise you go for it and purchase the Asus. It's by far and away the best monitor that I have ever used. The combination of great IPS colours, 144hz and 1440p is just amazing and throw in the added bonus of freesync and all for under £500.

really it's a no brainer, especially if you buy from a reputable dealer.

If you have the money and are looking to buy a monitor then don't hesitate. Winter could come and the next round of monitors might be even worse.

And if you are in the UK, where its relatively easy to return a monitor, you can't really lose. Even it has really bad IPS glow or some other problem that you can't live with look for an RMA or return it under DSR.

If you like a 27 inch 1440p gaming IPS monitor, then I promise that you will love this monitor.

*edit* if you are looking for the perfect monitor or one without issues, then you will never purchase and you should just save your money :) I haven't seen a monitor yet that people haven't had some issues with, either back light bleed, IPS glow, stuck pixels, colour shifting, poor stand, etc. the list goes on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yup I agree with what you said, poor CS and QC just annoys me though and I think it is completely unacceptable getting "refurb" monitors as replacements for monitors that have failed in less than a year.

I currently have a LG 29um65, which is nice overall but I badly want improvements in these areas:

- freesync (for the lack of screen tearing + increased smoothness)
- much improved motion clarity (my biggest gripe with current 60HZ IPS monitors)
- very little IPS glow, my screen use to be very good for lack of glow but for some reason, it has got worse over the last few months....

The benq TN 144hz freesync seems like the "safest" option but I think the heavy anti-glare finish would annoy me.

And the other issue is do I really want to be tied to AMD for 2+ years? :( Damn nvidia..........

Soldato
That's why this monitor is so good. It's a 144Hz IPS. You aren't tied to AMD, you can still use a NVidia card with this monitor without issue.

It's a problem with having so much information and user opinion so readily available, you start to over analyse everything, and have a fear of purchasing incase you get a lemon.

But in this case, you have nothing to lose, so I can't see why you wouldn't buy it and see. If you get a bad one return it, you will know after a few hours of use whether you like it or not. Or you might actually get a really good one and love it.

It really is a win-win situation.

Caporegime
Yeah I know but I would hate to lose freesync (one of the main reasons I would be upgrading to this) as from reading it sounds like one of those things were once you experience it, you won't want to go back to a non g/free sync display.

I am going to try and hold of for one more month to see what is what with regards to nvidia vs AMD i.e. driver situation, monitors + windows 10 for the gpu drivers.

Soldato
You have the money now, you want to buy something now, there is nothing on the horizon, what exactly is to be gained by waiting unless you plan to wait until the new year. It will be a few months before windows 10 makes any impact on gaming.

Maybe I am been a little pushy, but I just don't understand. Two brilliant Freesync monitors out right now, The BenQ and this one, one TN, one IPS. The BenQ seems to be an amazing monitor in all aspects. Great Picture quality, blur reduction feature, fast response time but TN and 40hz lower freesync range. Personally I wanted an IPS and a lower Freesync range, the upper didn't bother me as most of my gaming is between 35 and 90fps.

The Benq has got a great reaction on this and other forums since the firmware update. The Asus after a shaky start seems to be getting better. Even PCPer loved it, giving it a gold reward.

I am really sorry, as I said I just don't understand the waiting, nothing to lose and so much to gain. You could be gaming on a 1440p 144Hz IPS by Thursday, or even a killer 1440p TN Freesync monitor that is getting rave reviews.

Caporegime
I am just very in decisive :p :(

I see your point though and I think I am pretty close to pulling the trigger as badass has pretty much told me that there is nothing coming this year except possibly a benq 144hz ips freesync screen...

I just need to decide between this and the benq, I would much rather go with the asus but it is just their CS and a high chances of receiving one with bad IPS glow or/and severe glow that puts me of :( I think if the benq was at least a £100 cheaper, I would probably go for it.

Like I said, whatever I get next, I will be keeping for a looooooooooooooong time.

Soldato
I am just very in decisive :p :(

I see your point though and I think I am pretty close to pulling the trigger as badass has pretty much told me that there is nothing coming this year except possibly a benq 144hz ips freesync screen...

I just need to decide between this and the benq, I would much rather go with the asus but it is just their CS and a high chances of receiving one with bad IPS glow or/and severe glow that puts me of :( I think if the benq was at least a £100 cheaper, I would probably go for it.

Like I said, whatever I get next, I will be keeping for a looooooooooooooong time.

lol I can see why you would keep it for a long time :) Anything not to make a decision again :p

Caporegime
:p

It is more so cause I sort of rushed into getting my LG 29" and whilst I have greatly enjoyed it in that time, I knew that I should have waited a bit longer as we then got the more choice of 34" 1440 not long after and for not much more money either + freesync monitors were just coming about then as well, I have only had this screen for a year now and will already be replacing it, cba with selling it on as chances are people would complain about the IPS glow (I use a very low brightness which makes it less of an issue and most likely lower than what others would use) or/and it would get damaged a bit when in the couriers hand and possibly introduce severe bleed....

Soldato
Has anyone used AMD's new frame rate target control yet?

Seems like it will offer another option to deciding if to enable Vsync or not after 90FPS.

Associate
Hi all

At the moment I'm torn between the Asus MG279Q & BenQ XL2730z freesync.
Can anyone who experience an Yamakasi catleap 120hz can confirm that the new Asus MG279Q is quicker at 120hz or on par due to 5ms.

Back
Top Bottom