2/3 Computers for £3k ?

Associate
Hey there Overclockers,

In about few months I plan on buying two/three computers for about £3k and would like to see now what I can get for this price. So the main thing is that I need a two computers which will be as portable as it can be so I figured out that I will stick for a 2x Ultrabooks for around 1.1k each. So I have looked around for Ultrabooks and thinking about getting this one -> OcUK Professional W540 UltraNote 14" LED HD Intel Processor, DDR3, SSD / HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics - Windows (I don't know if it's a good choice tho.)

So here it goes:

OcUK Professional W540 UltraNote 14" LED HD Intel Processor, DDR3, SSD / HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics - Windows
This one will need to handle a lot of Virtualisation aka around 3 or 4 VirtualBoxes with Windows XP, 7 or 8 and handle a lot of data, that's about it if you ask me, So I choose:

Primary Hard Drive: 1TB SSD Samsung 840 EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB SODIMM (What is SODIMM and what's the difference between a normal Ram and a SODIMM, does SODIMM rebuild itself when there is a problem and doesn't crash OS ?)
Processor: Intel Core i7-4800MQ Haswell Processor
Total: £1117.92 inc VAT

Should that be enough to pull Windows XP, 7, 8 or even more (around 4) in the same time on this Ultrabook ? I think it should be as it has 16GB Ram.

OcUK Professional W540 UltraNote 14" LED HD Intel Processor, DDR3, SSD / HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics - Windows

This one is the same as previous one but with less power as it will be mainly used for Internet, should pull some Full HD Movies (not sure if it can pull 4k? Dose someone checked that or is it too weak ?) and finally pull from time to time one virtual Windows 7 machine. So I went with this set-up:

Primary Hard Drive: 500GB SSD Samsung 840 EVO
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB SODIMM
Processor: Intel Core i7-4712MQ Haswell Processor
Total: £821.92 inc VAT

So the two Ultrabooks in Total are £1939.84 and I have £1060.16 left for a PC.

When it's coming to a PC I just need a build itself as I don't need Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor (I have an AOC 27" with HDMI, VGA and DVI), Speakers and OS as I already have those. What is my main requirement for this computer is that I need to have a lot of SATA ports on Motherboard as I would like to connect a few 8TB Hard Drives (Click) in the future as well as make it upgradable as I will probably would upgrade it in a few years for better processor, ram etc. There will be two main purposes for this PC primarly I will be archiving a lot of data and for playing modern games like GTA IV, V or Global Offensive on High or Very High settings if it's possible for that price. I also would like this PC to be darn quiet as I had a couple of computers in the past and it gave me freaking migraine as some of them were blowingly noisy. Also don't try to put together a PC with secondary HDD as what I only need in this build is a 250GB SSD at the moment. Do you guys think that PC with this requirements will be in my range of £1060.16 ?

Also can I trust this "self made" Ultrabooks by Overclockers ? I never bought such thing in the past and my friend bought similar thing but it was a phone which you could choose all the parts by yourself and it broke after few months, how I can be assure that won't be a case here ?

BTW as you may have noticed I didn't listed any OS because I don't need one.

P.S Going a little bit of topic, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Can someone tell me why I can't change my avatar to my own one ? There is just one pre-setted which I can chose :rolleyes:.

2. Why is it better to buy a computer parts/computer builds on here rather than on other various websites ? Is it because it's cheaper, the products coming out directly from a manufacturer or what makes us as a users of Overclockers to buy computer stuff here ? Sorry if this question sounds a bit lame but I never bought anything here.

Thanks for your help or even reading this thread as it's long as hell and I realise that.
Thanks

Soldato
P.S Going a little bit of topic, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Can someone tell me why I can't change my avatar to my own one ? There is just one pre-setted which I can chose :rolleyes:.

2. Why is it better to buy a computer parts/computer builds on here rather than on other various websites ? Is it because it's cheaper, the products coming out directly from a manufacturer or what makes us as a users of Overclockers to buy computer stuff here ? Sorry if this question sounds a bit lame but I never bought anything here.

Thanks for your help or even reading this thread as it's long as hell and I realise that.
Thanks

1. We have a mobster style ranking system pushing beyond just post count. Some can only be gained by appointment.

2.a, Customer service is absolutely next to none you will never see service like it elsewhere.
2.b, Great forums provided to us free of charge.
2.c, Free haribo.

EDIT : As below i forgot to mention i thought your sig was mahoosive.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
I have not time to do the builds but the two last questions:

1) The forum has a gangster theme to which there are set avatar's for various post milestone, the FAQ will show this, also your sig is to big - see the FAQ regards criteria :)

2) These forums are run by the Overclockers shop and they do good deals, offer good customer service and competitors are not allowed to be discussed :p

Last edited:
Associate
T4HO said:
can I trust this "self made" Ultrabooks by Overclockers ? I never bought such thing in the past and my friend bought similar thing but it was a phone which you could choose all the parts by yourself and it broke after few months, how I can be assure that won't be a case here ?

I have never ordered one myself but laptops are completely different to phones in building it yourself, with what Overclockers allows you to change on the laptop any laptop manufacture could do or yourself, the components are down gradable or upgradable. its no different to getting a 1tb ssd to replace a stock 100gb ssd that came in a laptop or putting more ram in it

T4HO said:
What is SODIMM and what's the difference between a normal Ram and a SODIMM, does SODIMM rebuild itself when there is a problem and doesn't crash OS ?

nothing that complex, SODIMM is the same as a normal RAM module but is smaller to fit inside the laptops small casing also known as (small outline DIMM) for example its the same as a ATX vs ITX motherboard its only smaller

Soldato
Hi,

I have read your 'wall' OP, i justwant to make sure i understand the requirements fully. The guys above have sorted out the easy stuff so i won'tbe covering that again. :)

So you need 3 seperate systems;
1) Laptop (ultra book) to run 3-4 VM's
2) Laptop (ultra book) to use normal programs (internet) and maybe 1 VM
3) Desktop to run games and act as storage

Am i right here?

For the first ultrabook, i think you have picked a good starting peice. For VM's the most important part is RAM, (that is why ultrabooks are sort of limiting as SODIMM is slower [naturally] than stanard desktop RAM) though for the amount your running (which in the grand scheme of things Isn't a lot) it should be fine. I'd go for 16GB of RAM though.

The CPU isn't so important, so the 4712MQ will be fine. does this REALLY need a 1TB SSD? Wouldn't a 500GB SSD and a 1TB (or 500GB) SHDD do? Thats less than £1k.

YOUR BASKET
1 x OcUK Professional W540 UltraNote 14" LED HD Intel Processor, DDR3, SSD / HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics - Windows £399.95
- 1 x Intel Core i7-4712MQ 2.30GHz (Haswell) Mobile Processor - OEM £149.99
- 1 x No Operating System £0.00
- 1 x Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz SODIMM Kit (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) £107.99
- 1 x Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB Solid State Drive - Retail £199.99
- 1 x Standard Build Laptops - Approximately 3 to 5 working days £0.00
- 1 x Seagate SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - (ST1000LM014) OEM £68.99
Total : £936.50 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Ill try and get to the rest later..hope this helps to start with.

My idea is get a cheaper laptop ultrabook for the 2). say around £500-£600 max.

Then you've got nearly £1500 for an amazing Gaming PC. :)

Associate
OP
I have never ordered one myself but laptops are completely different to phones in building it yourself, with what Overclockers allows you to change on the laptop any laptop manufacture could do or yourself, the components are down gradable or upgradable. its no different to getting a 1tb ssd to replace a stock 100gb ssd that came in a laptop or putting more ram in it.
You say that "its no different to getting a 1tb ssd to replace a stock 100gb ssd that came in a laptop or putting more ram in it" but normally you as an end user won't change a CPU or Graphic card as it's hard to do in general opposite to RAM which is very easy to change.

Hi,

I have read your 'wall' OP, i justwant to make sure i understand the requirements fully. The guys above have sorted out the easy stuff so i won'tbe covering that again. :)

So you need 3 seperate systems;
1) Laptop (ultra book) to run 3-4 VM's
2) Laptop (ultra book) to use normal programs (internet) and maybe 1 VM
3) Desktop to run games and act as storage

Am i right here?

For the first ultrabook, i think you have picked a good starting peice. For VM's the most important part is RAM, (that is why ultrabooks are sort of limiting as SODIMM is slower [naturally] than stanard desktop RAM) though for the amount your running (which in the grand scheme of things Isn't a lot) it should be fine. I'd go for 16GB of RAM though.

The CPU isn't so important, so the 4712MQ will be fine. does this REALLY need a 1TB SSD? Wouldn't a 500GB SSD and a 1TB (or 500GB) SHDD do? Thats less than £1k.

YOUR BASKET
1 x OcUK Professional W540 UltraNote 14" LED HD Intel Processor, DDR3, SSD / HDD, Intel HD 4000 Graphics - Windows £399.95
- 1 x Intel Core i7-4712MQ 2.30GHz (Haswell) Mobile Processor - OEM £149.99
- 1 x No Operating System £0.00
- 1 x Corsair Vengeance SODIMM 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C10 1600MHz SODIMM Kit (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10) £107.99
- 1 x Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 500GB Solid State Drive - Retail £199.99
- 1 x Standard Build Laptops - Approximately 3 to 5 working days £0.00
- 1 x Seagate SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - (ST1000LM014) OEM £68.99
Total : £936.50 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Ill try and get to the rest later..hope this helps to start with.

My idea is get a cheaper laptop ultrabook for the 2). say around £500-£600 max.

Then you've got nearly £1500 for an amazing Gaming PC. :)

Thanks for the advice however I have re-thinked my options again and I would like to see what I can get for £3k right now as I will be buying the build itself in a few months. However I would like to spend that £3k on PC gaming computer with a:

DDR4 Ram (Maybe 32GB or more ?)
2 - 3 Graphics Cards (?)
Two Good processors (maybe ?)
500 GB SSD
Some Nice Looking Case with a lot of LED (red)
I think in this case Watercooling would be essential as I freaking hate noisy PC's and want to have a computer to be as quiet as possible.
Good Gaming Chair and Headset

I also would like to leave around £400 for my Bro PC upgrades and few games. So the whole cost of all my computer comes to £2.6k.

So basically I want a badass PC on which I could get any game in Full Details for next 5- 6 years ? I don't need OS/Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor but I need a good gaming chair as well as Headset.

Stulid must be sleeping

I swear that guy is like a computer doing builds

Could rattle these up in a jiffy

So Stulid is a member of stuff then ?

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest you can't really say it'll run games at max in 5-6 years whatever you buy now. Chances are it probably wont, not within any kind of sensible budget anyway. Your best bet is to get the best card you can for the money now with the scope to add another in a few years to keep up.

This will largely come down to what resolution you're running.

Associate
OP
To be honest you can't really say it'll run games at max in 5-6 years whatever you buy now. Chances are it probably wont, not within any kind of sensible budget anyway. Your best bet is to get the best card you can for the money now with the scope to add another in a few years to keep up.

This will largely come down to what resolution you're running.

So 2.6k is enough in this case ? Anyway I mostly play now on AOC 27" monitor.

Soldato
Okay, quite a big change in requirements. Something we can help with.

I like the idea of your spec but really that doesn't scream gaming PC, that more workstation. Having 2 CPUs normally means they are xeons, which have HUGE amounts of cores and threads but very little 'horsepower', ideal for rendering/servers but not for gaming. For gaming you need a lot of 'horsepower' (clock speed) and enough cores/thread to run games smoothly.

An ideal 'future proof' CPU for that would be the 5820k, 6 cores and can be over clocked pretty high, 4.5-4.8.

I'd love to do you a proper spec but only on my phone hopefully someone else can help out.

Associate
OP
Okay, quite a big change in requirements. Something we can help with.

I like the idea of your spec but really that doesn't scream gaming PC, that more workstation. Having 2 CPUs normally means they are xeons, which have HUGE amounts of cores and threads but very little 'horsepower', ideal for rendering/servers but not for gaming. For gaming you need a lot of 'horsepower' (clock speed) and enough cores/thread to run games smoothly.

An ideal 'future proof' CPU for that would be the 5820k, 6 cores and can be over clocked pretty high, 4.5-4.8.

I'd love to do you a proper spec but only on my phone hopefully someone else can help out.

Well, thanks for help, so one processor is enough for gaming as from what I can see then we can leave it like that. Hopefully someone will do it soon as I'm waiting few days for someone to do my build and still waiting, tick tock , tick tock .... =/

Back
Top Bottom