The best Tennis game ever?

Soldato
OP
Smash Court Tennis 2 on PS2 was so much fun.

Well I got the first one today(the 2nd is on its way) and it's really good. The licensed players are spot on so far, Pistol Pete(Sampras) lives up to his billing as does Rafter at the net.

Playing as Agassi is, well as entertaining as it was watching him.

Very impressive, waiting for a 2 player session for my final verdict, it is defo Virtual Tennis quality, no doubt about it. It hasn't got the depth but hopefully the second one will cover that area too.

Thanks for mentioning it, really chuffed to have it in my collection :)

Soldato
Well I got the first one today(the 2nd is on its way) and it's really good. The licensed players are spot on so far, Pistol Pete(Sampras) lives up to his billing as does Rafter at the net.

Playing as Agassi is, well as entertaining as it was watching him.

Very impressive, waiting for a 2 player session for my final verdict, it is defo Virtual Tennis quality, no doubt about it. It hasn't got the depth but hopefully the second one will cover that area too.

Thanks for mentioning it, really chuffed to have it in my collection :)

No worries! The gameplay feels really tight and responsive on Smash Court which is why it's fun. It's not quite a simulator as such but it feels real and absorbing enough I thought. I think I've played every franchise of tennis game and I would say Smash Court 2, Top Spin 4, Grand Slam Tennis 2 would be the best in that order. Never did like Virtua Tennis, way to arcadey for me (I know it's meant to be). Oh and I actually thought Wii Tennis was a lot of fun. But I think you'll really enjoy Smash Court 2!!

Edit: Meant Top Spin 4.

Soldato
OP
No worries! The gameplay feels really tight and responsive on Smash Court which is why it's fun. It's not quite a simulator as such but it feels real and absorbing enough I thought. I think I've played every franchise of tennis game and I would say Smash Court 2, Top Spin 4, Grand Slam Tennis 2 would be the best in that order. Never did like Virtua Tennis, way to arcadey for me (I know it's meant to be). Oh and I actually thought Wii Tennis was a lot of fun. But I think you'll really enjoy Smash Court 2!!

Edit: Meant Top Spin 4.

Ordered Top Spin 4 yesterday, it sounds ideal. Smash Tennis 2 should be with me by the weekend, and I should get some 2 player action in too. Will let you know how my mini league table looks like after ST2 and Top Spin 4 :)

Soldato
OP
Top Ranking Tennis on the Gameboy
Great Courts 2 Tennis on the Amiga

were my faves back in the day.

Always been tempted to add an Amiga to my collection, it was like the rolls royce of 16bit computers back in the day, you were very fortunate if you had one(I had a Spectrum).

Got to play a lot of the Amiga though due to having a pal who had one, Speedball 2, Lotus Espirit, North and South... Kick Off 2, Sensible Soccer the list is endless, no doubt that Tennis game is class, I'll try it the cheap way at some stage.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Tennis Elbow 2013 (PC)

I was looking at this. The file size is just 100MB, so I don't expect it to be a showcase, which isn't a problem(Super Tennis is under 2mb) in the play-ability department, but in this era I want some famous players to play against, ones that mimic their real life counterparts.

For me, real players, done well, in Tennis games(even Super Tennis JAP) adds character and just more interest, plus it's more awkward to play 2 player on my PC.

It's on my wishlist(has been for a while), so if it comes down to the fiver region I'll defo pick it up as it is meant to be awesome play-ability wise(but I want some real world realism).

Associate
Always been tempted to add an Amiga to my collection, it was like the rolls royce of 16bit computers back in the day, you were very fortunate if you had one(I had a Spectrum).

Got to play a lot of the Amiga though due to having a pal who had one, Speedball 2, Lotus Espirit, North and South... Kick Off 2, Sensible Soccer the list is endless, no doubt that Tennis game is class, I'll try it the cheap way at some stage.

Thanks

They were awesome. I stuffed up my GCSE's because I used to play too much Championship Manager 93/94 on it but there were so many great games on it. Shame I sold mine a few years ago due to lack of space.

Associate
I thought Top Spin 3 was fantastic.

I have absolutely no interest in tennis, but it was a cracking game, and that made the sale on its own.

Back
Top Bottom