Cheap vs Expensive helmets and your preferred bike style?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
This is one of those topics which was mentioned many times and there's tons of similar threads created. But... what are you opinions on the expensive helmets vs cheapish helmets?

I personally have Shark S700S which is not bad for the price, but when I had in my hands Icon Airframe Ghost Carbon it felt a lot more premium, it was lighter, the ventilation seemed better and the inside of the helmet seemed to be engineered better.

I'm also interested what sort of bikes you ride along with your opinion, as from my observation people on naked and supersports have more protective gear and it usually costs quite a bit more as its usually leathers. Not saying other bike riders don't wear appropriate gear, as they wear appropriate gear to the bike they ride.

So what are you thoughts on this topic?

Man of Honour
I guess I fit your profile. I have a Shoei GT Air and a Triumph Street Triple.

My life is worth protecting well, so I buy decent helmets.

Soldato
Shoei GT Air here too, but paired with an Aprilia Caponord, so of course it is the Italia version of the helmet :)

Good gear is really important to me. I don't plan to come off my bike but if / when I do I want to be counting the cost of replacing my gear, not bits of me.

dsb

dsb

Associate
I have a shoei Hornet Adv and an XR 1100 the wife has a GT Air, so over £1000 in helmets, thats how much i value mine and my wifes head. All decent gear as well inc boots gloves.
I ride a KTM 1290 Super Adventure

Soldato
Shoei GT Air. Bought on a combination of research points rather than price point alone.
Bike is an S1000R and I had a 690 Duke before that. Both nakeds.

PPE Wise - Everything. Full textile jacket, leather/textile mix trousers, leather gloves and boots. Cost wise, it's actually no THAT bad when you put it into perspective. Probably about £1,250 all in.

Soldato
Schuberth C3.

I'm under no illusions that it will give me any more protection than a £50-£100 helmet, but it's nicer to wear. I have a lot of very expensive kit - usually I wear most of it, sometimes I don't.

Best safety advice is don't ride like a **** on the roads. I see lots of sports bike riders on a sunny Sunday in full leathers riding with a death wish, hence why I tend to stay away from biker roads these days. They are more of a liability than cars.

Associate
Shoei GT Air here also
Full Alpinestar GP Pro leathers with supertech R's
I guess I fit the sports bike profile based on gear and cost.

I have nothing against other bike riders but knowing how people drive o would personally never take the risk of skimping on protection. An expensive helmet might not save your life but I'd rather know I bought the best I could afford in order to keep my friends and family at ease should anything happen.

Man of Honour
Caberg Duke.

I bought my helmet on its Sharp rating, as getting into biking + bike + tests etc. was quite a lot to spend at once. Other than that, fully armored JTS leather jacket, fully lined Kevlar jeans with knee and hip armor from Hood UK, Nitro shin high boots and leather gloves with CF armor - always wear every bit, but don't slate those who don't.

Bike is a Honda NT650 Deauville, medium weight upright V-Twin tourer.

Soldato
I have an Arai axcess 2, and I own a £1500-1700 naked CB400.

In fact, all my gear (full set of textiles, leather jacket, 2x kevlar jeans, Arai helmet, A* boots, kriega rucksack, 2x pairs of gloves) probably cost me more than my bike!!!

However, I do 10-12k miles a year so something cheap that I don't mind getting ruined by winter salt makes sense. Something a lot nicer around the £6-8k mark will find its way into my garage in a year or so.

Associate
I have a Shoei XR1100, did have a Caberg Duke but it was just a bit loud and plasticky. I always ride in full gear and feel I've spent a fair amount on good gear. If/when I come off I'd like to be alive and in as little pain as possible!
My bike is a sports tourer but will be going for a more adventure orientated bike once I move out of the big smoke and no longer have to apply lube before getting insurance quotes.

Associate
I wear a very large size helmet so only have 4 or 5 helmets worldwide that would fit my head. Still given the choice I wouldn't ever spend too much on a helmet unless someone could prove to me that it is safer than the cheaper options, although if it felt nicer I may shell out.

As for gear, I wear Hein Gericke textiles when I'm commuting on my NC700s. I **** myself everytime I get on my bike so there's no way in hell I could ride without full gear.

Caporegime
Cheapness for me,it passes safety tests just like the expensive stuff,if you go splat hard enough a helmet will only do so much,can't stop your arms legs torso from being squished

Airoh Miro,zx6r,zx10r

I've come off in the past and ruined expensive lids,i don't see the point

Last edited:
Caporegime
I like scorpion exo 500s I've had a few offs in them and they've always worked.

But I've noticed they are very noisy and a bit heavy.

Anyone recommend a light warm and very quiet helmet for motorway use?

Soldato
I like scorpion exo 500s I've had a few offs in them and they've always worked.

But I've noticed they are very noisy and a bit heavy.

Anyone recommend a light warm and very quiet helmet for motorway use?

I have the same helmet and now you mention it I suppose it is quite loud on motorways. Never had any problems apart from that though

Soldato
HJC IS17 - mid-range lid bought it based on sharp ratings.

You'll find that expensive lids are no more better at protecting you (in fact some might be worse!) but as you said they are lighter, cooler, quieter etc so it's a luxury rather than a requirement.

Rest I have RST textiles with armour etc, easier to wear over clothes than leathers.

I ride a Z750 Naked as I use it for 99.9% of the time for commuting so being more upright is better. Torquey engine too so nice around town. To be honest an NC700 / NC750 would be better suited for my needs but the Zed is a damn fun and as fast as I'll ever need a bike - didn't see the point in a "stepping stone" bike. You can kill yourself just as easy on a 50-75bhp bike if you're a ****!

Associate
I have several helmets;

Cheap Box lid - used for when I park up at the airport
Arai RX7-GP (Replaced Arai RX7-RR) Track day lid
Shoei Z7 (NXR) Commuting lid

Bikes;
SH300 scooter (Commuter)
VTR SP1 (Track Bike)
VTR SP2 (Road Bike)
450 Supermoto (Cocking about)

Back
Top Bottom