Client unhappy with me posting a few images of there wedding day on my Facebook page

Associate
Was a little disapointed to get a message like this from my client this evening , I posted a few photos from there wedding that I edited around about 10 total out of 800 + and I got a message like this !

I use facebook to get clients and get more work so I found this message a little upsetting , I posted 10 images I can't see how this could effect them in anyway.

This is what he sent me , by all means say if you think I am wrong I am new to all of this but I wasnt expecting a message like this :(

My main question is do I have the right to post them ?
Message below from client

"You rude *******! You were asked not to post ANY more photos on line before we had seen them. What part of that did you not understand? It's a special day for us not your ****ing business. Wise up."

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Were you aware of their condition to see them first? If so, why did you post then before they'd seen them?

Caporegime
I don't agree with how they worded their message, it is a bit strong. But why on earth did you post their wedding pictures on Facebook before they had even seen them?

That is pretty bad form I'd say... But so is their message to you. Two wrongs don't make a right, and they could have approached it more politely.

Personally I'd wait until a while after the client had seen them, and I would probably ask them for their permission to share the pictures online as well, before doing so.

How would you feel if hundreds of strangers had seen photographs of your special day before you had? Especially if you had paid somebody for their time to take the photos.

Last edited:
Associate
Dude you shouldn't be posting photos before the client has seen them. I'd be organising a peace offering if we're you and doing free prints/refunding some of your fee and grovelling especially if you want to have business.

Caporegime
In terms of a response, you have 2 options, well, really just 1.

1 - Apologise and explain that is just over 1% of the total of images and assure them they would be happy with the set and remove them.
2 - Play the contract/copyright angle. Which I would not advice you should do as it will only make them even more angry and you will not get a favourable word from them for your work to their friends.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would just like to say I have always posted 1% of my clients images on my blogs / Facebook after a shoot and most have requested I do this , I have posted about 10 - 15 images to give my client a little look in to the lovely images I have created for them, out of 10 weddings this is the first client that has got upset about it and sent me a message like this so was a little baffled.

I totally understand its someone's special day so on this occasion and in future I will make it clear to couples that I like to post 1% of the images before releasing them the final album ,

In this case I have apologise to the client and removed the Blog / Photos from my FB page.

Still not happy with the message he sent but hey everyone's different. lesson learned.

Associate
I still think you should't even consider posting them before the client has seen the pictures. it's absolutely fair to post some assuming your contract retains the copyright to you and ideally, expressly states that it's your practice after releasing the album to them, that you post a small number of shots from your assignments etc but from a client-satisfaction perspective, after they've got the images.

Underboss
"Wise Up" - refund him his money and destroy the photos.

Or alternatively do what you have already done tbh, damage control stuff etc.

Soldato
I'm quite surprised you haven't had more complaints if you haven't explicitly asked / told them beforehand.

Pics from your wedding splashed all over social media before the bride has seen them - brave, brave and quite honestly stupid move

Soldato
Honestly, you are 100% in the wrong. No excuse for the crappy message but some people get a tad over emotional.

You really shouldn't be putting up pictures before they have seen them, on collection ask them to sign something that gives you permission to use some for your profile, then your covered against any bridezillas

Soldato
I think you need to poo in your own letterbox.

Haha.

I understand where they are coming from but that email is immature and not needed - probably a heat of the moment message.

Imo, you shouldn't be posting the 1% on blogs/your facebook page until after the people see them first, or see the 1% sneak peak photos to get them excited about the rest to come.

Maybe this person saw the photos without her partner there to enjoy them with her?

Soldato
Honestly, you are 100% in the wrong. No excuse for the crappy message but some people get a tad over emotional.

You really shouldn't be putting up pictures before they have seen them, on collection ask them to sign something that gives you permission to use some for your profile, then your covered against any bridezillas

While I agree with you that the op shouldn't post images until the couple have seen it there is no need to get them to sign anything on collection. It should be clearly stated in the OP's contract with the couple that they sign first.

OP, if you've only done 10 weddings it's still early enough to change the way you do things.

The order in which people see photos for me is:

Myself
Wife (checks over some of them and the slideshow for me, if it makes her cry it's good)
Couple
Wait a week so they can show people and then post online and tag them in them.

Soldato
Yeah i have to agree with the crowd here also.

While it was incredibly rude for the client to send that message with such a tone. You really should have agreement from the client first before uploading photos. They may not want any of their wedding photos online EVER. You have to accept the clients wishes if you want your business to succeed.

Back
Top Bottom