Hungarian Grand Prix 2015, Hungaroring - Race 10/19

Caporegime
I thought after the Q2 time a 1:21 was going to happen for sure, maybe a better end to the warm up lap, less backing off due to Kimi being a poop head. Rosberg hasn't been remotely close to him all weekend.

Rosberg's fresh soft tire lap was slower than Hamilton's used tire lap, and as expected he went faster again on the fresh tires.

Caporegime
Wow was Paddy trying to make excuses for Rosberg, genuine mistakes in setup happen but saying the gap was small in the first run of Q3 is ridiculous, it was what 0.36 or something gap, which increased on the fresher tire run. He also said a lock up in q3 was responsible for most of the time difference, even though he was down on Hamilton's first run at the end of sector 2.. he was no where near before the lock up and didn't lose much in the final sector.

Soldato
Hardly an awful lot of interest in this one judging by the lack of posts after 4 sessions, an amazing showing of determination from a driver, probably the most spectacular crash of the season and coming off the back of loss of Jules Bianchi.

At this point a couple of years ago we had nearly three times the posts. Last year (though qually was wet) we had four times the posts.

Certain members have been so utterly desperate to claim the viewing figures are falling yet they've generally been brushed aside... either they're bang on the money, this weekend really has been this boring or people just can't be bothered?

I thought my interest was waning (and I'm unable to pinpoint one distinct reason), but it seems I'm not alone. I've not been this "meh" since the utter dross we had in the mid-2000s (I didn't mind Schumacher at the time, but the racing usually appalling, though Alonso's title challenges were refreshing).

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Hardly an awful lot of interest in this one judging by the lack of posts after 4 sessions, an amazing showing of determination from a driver, probably the most spectacular crash of the season and coming off the back of loss of Jules Bianchi.

At this point a couple of years ago we had nearly three times the posts. Last year (though qually was wet) we had four times the posts.

Certain members have been so utterly desperate to claim the viewing figures are falling yet they've generally been brushed aside... either they're bang on the money, this weekend really has been this boring or people just can't be bothered?

I thought my interest was waning (and I'm unable to pinpoint one distinct reason), but it seems I'm not alone. I've not been this "meh" since the utter dross we had in the mid-2000s (I didn't mind Schumacher at the time, but the racing usually appalling, though Alonso's title challenges were refreshing).

How can anyone get any enthusiasm and excitement when you know Lewis or Rosberg is going to get pole. Plus most of the time it is always Lewis.

The results are always in before it has taken place.

Must be a great time if you're into betting.

I'm a Lewis fan and this season has bored me.

Heh!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It was a very dull qualifying. The interest in F1 seems to have dropped off dramatically with each passing season, starting with the red bull dominance. This season could have been better had Rosberg challenged, but he has been nowhere.

Caporegime
It just doesn't seem as big a spectacle anymore. I think it is partly due to the sound. The iconic scream of the v8's and v10's is sorely missed in my opinion.

Also, they showed the pole times for Hungary today for the last 5 or so years and 4 or 5 years ago they were doing 1.18's not 1.22's. They should be getting faster not slower. This is the pinnacle of motorsport (at least it is supposed to be).

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
It was a very dull qualifying. The interest in F1 seems to have dropped off dramatically with each passing season, starting with the red bull dominance. This season could have been better had Rosberg challenged, but he has been nowhere.

Careful! You'll upset Crofty and Co as well as the F1 paddock with those kind of comments. ¬¬

Man of Honour
It just doesn't seem as big a spectacle anymore. I think it is partly due to the sound. The iconic scream of the v8's and v10's is sorely missed in my opinion.

Also, they showed the pole times for Hungary today for the last 5 or so years and 4 or 5 years ago they were doing 1.18's not 1.22's. They should be getting faster not slower. This is the pinnacle of motorsport (at least it is supposed to be).

Nail, head tbh. I thought the same when the times came up :(

Soldato
How can anyone get any enthusiasm and excitement when you know Lewis or Rosberg is going to get pole. Plus most of the time it is always Lewis.!

The same was true with Mansell, Prost, Hakkinen and Schumacher and before them Senna, Stewart and Clark. It's not that straight forward.

I think it's down to how stable everything is. It's something that's afflicting the BTCC and other series too. The circuits are too easy, the cars too forgiving. Some of the tracks layouts may be similar to before, but there's no challenge to them - the bumps have gone, the run-offs have gone, there's no punishment now for going beyond the limit. It's one of the reasons Monaco and now Singapore still rank among my favourites, as they're some of the most challenging tracks we've got, despite offering little in the way of overtaking. How many more? Spa and Monza are now shadows of their former selves. Interlagos too and Suzuka in most respects. Melbourne is up there for the most part. After that... erm...

The way they manage the tyres aren't going to change. That precedent was set by Bridgestone back in Melbourne 2009 and it's here to stay, no matter how consistent they make the tyres. The nanometre precision in the cars isn't going to change either. I'd love to blame the engines as so many others want to, but they're not the problem - indeed their torque has probably only delayed the needed change as much as any technical change in the last 20 years.

Still, we'll never have another 1999, with effectively a privateer having a genuine shot at the title. Perhaps that's what I loved about the sport the most - that every now of then an Olivier Panis would win a GP, or the Nurburgring 1999 could happen again. That magic is long gone now... the last instance of that was Montreal in 2008, and that was only because the one favourite ran into the back another in the pitlane.

They're changing the help the drivers can receive from Spa onwards, but it can't go far enough. The threat of last year couldn't go far enough. They need to strip the steering wheel of all buttons except for a pit-lane speed limiter and a radio button. Make the engines more basic for 2017 or onwards if need be, but do something to make the drivers actually have control rather than the ECU and maps doing everything. Yesterday we saw in detail Rosberg preparing for a start when his car cut out... how many buttons did he press for that? For ****s sake!

Unsurprisingly adding sparks has done sod all for the show, which is about all they've agreed on in recent times (and has even knocked one of Mercedes' challengers further back).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's down to how stable everything is. It's something that's afflicting the BTCC and other series too. The circuits are too easy, the cars too forgiving. Some of the tracks layouts may be similar to before, but there's no challenge to them - the bumps have gone, the run-offs have gone, there's no punishment now for going beyond the limit.

"Safety". German F3 used to run on the full Lausitzring oval, now that would be considered unacceptable.

Caporegime

It's quite simple, those who bang on about reducing figures are comparing what something like 2007 or 2009 numbers with 2014. The viewing numbers dropped drastically due to a largescale move towards subscription based viewing. Meaning profit per viewer went up massively and viewing numbers went down.

Bringing that up last year or early this year as proof of anything is ridiculous because these things are unconnected. Using the fact that number of people watched going down for reason A, as proof of statement B which is unconnected and happening years later is beyond laughable. That is why people get shot down.

Also last year wasn't even a fraction as bad as this year. We had better weather last year, more rain, more changeable conditions through the season. We had more reliability problems at the 'important' end of the grid last year where top 5 runners cars failed. But up and down the grid we had more action. Hamilton had some dodgy qualifying last year and so had to fight past Rosberg a lot, 9-1 this year in qualifying and that is gone.

Ferrari were 'in the pack' last year, rubbish, but in amongst other rubbish cars. That meant a big team and a big name driver who gets on screen a lot involved in a lot of overtakes. I suggested from preseason, the thing that worried me is Ferrari have moved beyond Williams, not to Mercedes, which actually reduces on track action. They are in their own little gap most races which is bad for racing. Rather than some races where Ferrari, RBR, Mclaren and maybe Williams too were all fighting somewhere 30-50 seconds back from the Mercs, but fighting, this year it's Mercs, Ferrari 15 seconds back, Williams 15 seconds back from them, RBR 15 seconds back, and Mclaren 2 laps back(or 25 if the cars just stopped).

Off the top of my head when I think Hungary last year, Hamilton had a battle with Rosberg, with Alonso, and was it Ricciardo maybe. RBR, Merc, Ferrari fighting it out, in plenty of other races Ricciardo and Alonso had great battles. This year we have a different spread of cars which unfortunately has meant the field is far more spread out, particularly the top 4 teams that get the most coverage.

We can absolutely talk about it being less interesting this year, the cars/rules haven't changed but you get good and bad years because some years the top teams are all equally good OR equally bad, doesn't matter as long as they fight each other on track. Some years it works out that everyone is in their own little space. That can happen really with any set of regulations. You can't regulate for one engine manufacturer getting worse, one team commiting hari kari and deciding to put a ludicrously rushed engine into their car and one team making an epic car.

But lets not remotely try and talk about 5-7 years of ratings decline and attempt to use them as proof the currently regulations suck or infer anything about last or this year.

Other key things I would say are Brawn retiring, if he hadn't there would likely be one other team that was significantly stronger than they are today with him in charge. Newey leaving you may blame on the regulations as they are boring, but then he's been in the sport ages and may have left anyway considering his car can't win because of Renault. Renault didn't put enough money or man power into the R&D for the engine, you get the feeling they weren't entirely committed, still unsure and that was noticeable in lack of investment in the engine. If they had committed earlier, or gotten out we'd likely have better Renault engines or more Merc/Ferrari engines out there. If Honda hadn't rushed like a bunch of idiots.

There is one final thing people just don't get which happens in all sports, knowledge. The further we go, be it american football, real football, tennis, motorsport. We get better at it, the knowledge improves, teams get more data, more R&D is done. Aero guys have vastly more knowledge than teams did 20 years ago, money is a bigger factor, across most sports the money gap between top/bottom teams has grown dramatically. Cost of technology increases to R&D costs increase, sponsorship money increases, meaning past success over key periods(in most sports) has established teams too big to fight and teams too small to ever grow to match them.

F1 gets more scientific by the year as do all sports, precision increases, difference between drivers decreases, mistakes decrease... sport gets more predictable frankly over time because of all these things.

Take any period of regulations and reinstate them today, with all the extra knowledge, with athletes in the cars and better materials, better reliability, we'd get entirely different results.

smr

smr

Soldato
I have to say that was the most unexciting qualifying session I've seen in a long time. The whole event seemed subdued. I don't know if it's because of what's happened earlier in the week but it just seemed all very blase, predictable, uninteresting and quite boring.

I reckon the race will still be really good though for some reason, due to the nature of the track, there always seems to be a good race around here with it's twisty and tight nature. Not much room for error and there's going to be some exciting racing behind Rosberg I think. I hope anyway.

Back
Top Bottom