BT and the Law

Soldato
OP

Ok according to that they do the work outside first. Where it says 'This stage involves connecting a fibre cable to a small box that we'll fix to your outside wall, close to where your phone line enters your home. ' is there a reason why it is near the current phone socket? I would prefer it to be in a different room.

Caporegime
You'd have to ask them. It's all academic at the moment since you aren't even at the point where the systems will let you place an order.

Soldato
OP
You'd have to ask them. It's all academic at the moment since you aren't even at the point where the systems will let you place an order.

No the order was placed, but there was an issue porting the number, so BT escalations are going to raise a new order tomorrow. but as this has dragged on for weeks I was hoping I could just swap to another provider.

Soldato
OP
AFAIK it's only BT Retail who offer services over FTTP.

Yeh, I found Zen and IDNet will do it, but they want a lot of money for the privilege so will have to keep hope BT actually get their act together and get the order processed soon. I have already booked 2 days off work that I didnt need to.

Thanks for your help, I was assured today by the order team my last order is now fully cancelled so there is no reason that the new order cant be raised tomorrow. dont understand what porting the number does, and how it can fail, but have to just accept what they tell me, even though it does seem a lot of it is incorrect like getting slow fibre until job is finished.

Mobster
Soldato
It's absolutely crazy that only BT Retail offer it for a reasonable cost.

The wholesale cost is the same to all ISPs so it is very odd no others are offering it (or making it obvious at least, for a reasonable cost).

Plusnet will offer it too if you ask them, I believe.

Soldato
OP
It's absolutely crazy that only BT Retail offer it for a reasonable cost.

The wholesale cost is the same to all ISPs so it is very odd no others are offering it (or making it obvious at least, for a reasonable cost).

Plusnet will offer it too if you ask them, I believe.

I checked on plusnets site and it says I am not in a fibre area, even though BT wholesale say I am and BT will accept orders (I thought plusnet was a BT company). Looks like I will just have to wait it out with BT and hopefully by Christmas I will have it installed.

Soldato
OP
so I wondered down to the bottom of my garden (where the telegraph pole is for my house) and the FTTP cable is going up it, so looks like its just a case of replacing about 10m tops of copper cable and connecting both ends together, all the digging has already been done. I assumed they would come through the front of the house as all the other roads are that way, but looks like as you suggested I have a short bit of overhead cable to the property.
my original order still hasnt cancelled even though I was told yesterday it had, so still waiting for them to put a new order in to get it done.

Soldato
OP
ok, new order generated, hopefully will be online for 19th aug. quick question, the openreach modem for FTTP (is it the same as the VDSL one as it has been pointed out i dont have a vdsl cabinet) that i was told will be fitted in my house will be going in the utility room, i want to get all the trunking sorted before they come, does anyone have the dimensions of the modem? i have the HH5 already so thats not an issue, just so i know places i can put the modem would be handy to know its size

Back
Top Bottom