• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
In Windows 7 I had no issues other than what I said a few weeks back where I was facing stuttering problems (at the time it was Assassin's Creed Black Flag).

I think I am just been unlucky with Windows 10 and am ready to give it up completely at this rate.

Maybe it's not your GPU? Maybe something else in Windows 10 isn't playing nice with another of your components? Maybe Windows 10 is more efficient and all the components are under load even more, to the point that it's uncovering an issue with the hardware that Windows 7 wouldn't show?

Maybe it's using more RAM and you might have a slightly dodgy stick somewhere? Could be anything.

The fact is, Nvidia drivers seem to be getting in the neck recently from various people over various forums (here and Guru3d) but anecdotally I play a lot of games, I use Windows 10 and i've not had any of these issues.

So for all we know it's not even a GPU/driver issue. Unless every game is specifically crashing to desktop with a display driver error?

Soldato
Maybe it's not your GPU? Maybe something else in Windows 10 isn't playing nice with another of your components? Maybe Windows 10 is more efficient and all the components are under load even more, to the point that it's uncovering an issue with the hardware that Windows 7 wouldn't show?

Maybe it's using more RAM and you might have a slightly dodgy stick somewhere? Could be anything.

The fact is, Nvidia drivers seem to be getting in the neck recently from various people over various forums (here and Guru3d) but anecdotally I play a lot of games, I use Windows 10 and i've not had any of these issues.

So for all we know it's not even a GPU/driver issue. Unless every game is specifically crashing to desktop with a display driver error?

Possibly it could be hardware related, but sometimes when I get "The driver has stopped and managed to recover" error, I can see in Event Viewer the error: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." If I am lucky it recovers, but the majority of the time it is a hard crash. Surely that frequent error indicates a problem with the driver as opposed to a hardware fault?

Soldato
827.png

Why no cuda?

Soldato
I don't like the sound of this at all....

I guess windows will install over the top of drivers.

Something I loathe!

I don't think Windows give a damn about what drivers you may currently have installed, it seems they do indeed just install whatever drivers they want over existing ones.

I'm very particular with how I set my system up, I always clean uninstall existing drivers before installing fresh ones - Windows does not care for this however.

Associate
Anyone having issues with constant driver crashes? I'll be playing any game, watching some videos nothing too major and randomly both my screens will turn off and turn back on again after a few seconds

Soldato
Have you checked that "Cuda GPU All" is ticked under Nvidia control panel?

Could be just GPUZ not reporting it correctly.

As for the Windows Update thing over in the Windows 10 thread they say Windows Home is set to auto install windows updates. You cant turn it off or select Download but dont install or check but dont install.

Windows 10 Pro allows you to turn it off or select the choice but not Home. This has turned me off Windows 10. I think I will wait till someone produces a workaround so Home Users can choose not to auto install every windows update/driver! :eek:

Soldato
Anyone having issues with constant driver crashes? I'll be playing any game, watching some videos nothing too major and randomly both my screens will turn off and turn back on again after a few seconds

I think someone a few posts back mentioned this problem, but for me it's hard crash restarts though :(

Soldato
So does that mean there is no reason for Nvidia/AMD to release new drivers for win 10 as a manual download, as A) they get pushed out automatically and two if you manually install an older version it is just going to auto upgrade it anyway? :confused:

Associate
I have a 980 strix, I had latest drivers installed and have been playing witcher 3, shadow morder on oc as well as stock no problems, my children play lego games no problems. yesterday GeForce experience did some updating now only one basic game (lego worlds) will cause a black screen restart at random times after 10 mins of playing. only on this game ?any ideas, witcher 3 and mordor no problems even when I overclock like mad. driver 353.30

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 980 strix, I had latest drivers installed and have been playing witcher 3, shadow morder on oc as well as stock no problems, my children play lego games no problems. yesterday GeForce experience did some updating now only one basic game (lego worlds) will cause a black screen restart at random times after 10 mins of playing. only on this game ?any ideas, witcher 3 and mordor no problems even when I overclock like mad. driver 353.30

I'd do a system restore to a point prior to the Geforce update, and unless you specifically require it, I would un-install Geforce experience.

maj

maj

Soldato
Apologies if mentioned already in past day or so but anyone else unable to open geforce experience? Nvidia control panel opens fine.

Back
Top Bottom