A question for people who wear glasses...

Soldato
I really don't know where to put this, so GD seems like a fair place.

I don't need glasses, so have never been to an opticians. The only glasses I've bought are sunglasses. I bought a pair 10 years ago and they have served me well. However, they are almost falling apart now.

I'd like to buy a new pair of sunglasses, but for some reason every pair I've ever tried on (besides my current ones), look a bit silly on me.

I guess my face is very anti-glass frames. D/W, I'm a sexy beast without them, so don't feel bad for me ;).

Anyway, my question is this: Can I go into an opticians and get them to make a frame that fits my face properly and just have them put sunglass lenses on the front?

And if so, can I get designer ones made up in the same way? What does would something like this cost?

Soldato
from the sunglasses range you can choose a pair. but they don't make frames up. you just pick a pair. Some come in big & small sizes but they are not exact.

The only thing they measure up is the distance between pupils to line up the prescription correctly

If memory serves most normal glasses cant have tinted lenses in them?

Soldato
Any normal glasses can gave tinted lenses. The problem is, most frames for prescription glasses look silly as sunglasses. Prescription glasses tend to be 'flat', while sunglasses often have a curve to them. The best prescription frames to get with tinted lenses tend to be classic styles like the Wayfarer and Clubmaster.

Associate
Where have you been to try some? Places like John Lewis or Vision Express normally have loads of styles and brands to try. I find it hard to believe not a single pair suits you.

Soldato
I have to get female sunglasses because I have a tiny pea head :(

I'm 6'2" and when I went to get my very first motorbike helmet, I had to have XS, with XXS padding.

Soldato
I have to get female sunglasses because I have a tiny pea head :(

I'm 6'2" and when I went to get my very first motorbike helmet, I had to have XS, with XXS padding.

Haha pea head :D at least female sunglasses are an option. I have the opposite problem, I have a massive head (I wear XXL helmets) so most sunglasses look comically small on me.

Associate
try any decent boutique or independent optical places - they often have frames from vendors other than the standard fare you will find at the big chains. As has been observed any glasses can have tinted lenses so its' all about trying things until you find something you like. I have also found that smaller indies tend to have people that actually know something about the brands and product they sell as opposed to the bigger chains which often (but not always) are staffed by people who just want to get paid to turn up to work and could give a stuff about the product, or you particularly.

Soldato
I wouldn't bother trying to get tinted lenses in normal glasses frames. It would look weird.

I think you just haven't found the right pair of sunglasses yet, just go and try loads on. Start with the classic Rayban styles and go from there?

I have some Rayban Wayfarers and Cockpit. Clubmasters and other quite round oneas are in fashion at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom