Personal loan, early repayment

One

One

Soldato
The more you borrow, the lower the apr. If I want a 3k loan, it's at least 8%. If I get a 7k loan then this can be as low as 4%.

What's to stop me taking out the larger loan with the better apr and then making a 4k partial repayment and essentially having a 3k loan at 4%?

Soldato
There are penalties which you can have of up to 58 days interest. If it is small enough, sometimes overpayments don't attract penalties.

But you are right, it can often work out cheaper, even with fees.

Soldato
If it is a long loan, then the fee of 58 days interest isn't that bad.

A 4% to 8% gap is worth more over a longer term.

Caporegime
Check small print. Some loans might be a month or two interest.

Edit. I am out of touch. There are max limits of 2 months interest and it might be less. Full details here.

http://www.choose.net/money/guide/faqs/right-make-personal-loan-repayments.html

Of course depends on term of loan as to how much you save. Doing what you suggested on a 3 year loan would have a bigger affect than on a one year loan. By the time you have sorted it and paid the extra back and incurred two months interest you would have paid interest on the higher Moutn for 3 months of the year so only have lower interest for 9 months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a good idea on a fixed term loan. There will be penalties of which the main one is that on most loans the interest is added at the start of the loan, so let's say I the interest was £500 on a £7k loan, if you part pay off £4k immediately, you will still owe £3.5k.

You need a flexible loan though the rates are higher.

Associate
Not so for bank loans

Not a good idea on a fixed term loan. There will be penalties of which the main one is that on most loans the interest is added at the start of the loan, so let's say I the interest was £500 on a £7k loan, if you part pay off £4k immediately, you will still owe £3.5k.

You need a flexible loan though the rates are higher.

Generally these features will not apply to personal loans from a bank.

You can repay any amount at any time with no penalty whatsoever.

When you make an early repayment, it is a repayment of capital only and you will not be charged the interest in respect of the amount repaid.

Crappy lenders may have all sorts of arrangements, so try to avoid.

Regulated lending is a lot less expensive now that the FCA regulates consumer credit.

Caporegime
The more you borrow, the lower the apr. If I want a 3k loan, it's at least 8%. If I get a 7k loan then this can be as low as 4%.

What's to stop me taking out the larger loan with the better apr and then making a 4k partial repayment and essentially having a 3k loan at 4%?

Read the terms you signed up to. For s super bonus extra prize, understand what they mean!

You're welcome.

Soldato
We can work out the penalty very easily. It is up to 58 days interest, so let's say 2 months (can be less).

Assuming 24 month loan:

£3k at 7.9% = £3244.15.

£3k at 3.9% = £3121.21.
+
£4k at 3.9% for 2 months = £25.59.

So it works out a lot cheaper. If it is a 36 month loan it is even cheaper and so on.

Soldato
Because some companies have done this in the recent past.

No they don't do that.

What they show is the total amount payable which is

monthly repayment x number of months.

That is not the same as adding interest at the beginning of the policy. Imagine trying to settle a mortgage if you applied that nonsensical logic.

Any settlement then should show what you have saved in interest, they tend to call it a discount of some sort.

If by recent past you mean before 2005.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/1483/contents/made

Section 5a says the debtor must give 28 days notice and section 6 says the lender can further defer settlement for 30 days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom