Win 10, yay or nay?

Soldato
Against my better judgement, in a fit of insanity I installed 10 this morning. Actually surprisingly seamless apart from bit defender*
Everything seems to be working as before which is nice!

*BD decided to block all internet traffic even after being upgraded to the win10 compatible version. Deselecting stealth mode on my network interface fixed it.

Now I've been BSOD and "graphics device hung" free for some time now on 8.1, so it'll be interesting to see if any stability issues crop up.

I blame kiwi! ;)

Associate
Quite content to sit and wait until christmas, they would had put out the majority of their initial updates and tweaks by then, and as someone that owns most of the GOG catelogue I'm naturally skeptical about making OS leaps on a whim :)
It will also give the hardware community more than enough time to play catch up.

Although I will say I'm very genuinely very encouraged by the reception it seems to be getting amongst actual people using it in general, as opposed to the "omg get it now!" lark you see on youtube etc
If its as good as MS claim then maybe they won't pump out the successor in a weeks time.. windows 8 certainly taught them a few home truths

Last edited:
Associate
I installed it earlier this week and found it to give me no troubles at all, even slightly better performance in a couple of games.

However, when turning the computer on/logging in the keyboard would not register any key presses, requiring a restart before it would work. Also, the screen would never sleep, despite the settings being set.

I rolled back for now, I'll check it out again after the service pack.

Associate
Thumbs up from me. Bit weird how they've split settings and control panel and to a certain extent feels like they just ran out of time. But I like what they've done with the start menu and yeah I like it.

Game performance wise I've only been playing GTAV. And on my sli rig it runs superbly and even better than win7 64bit! I also no longer have to disable HT which on win7 caused loads of stuttering for GTAV. On win 10 butter smooth. So for me whatever is happening under the hood with win10, appears to be a definite step up from win7.

Caporegime
Don't see the point when you get a WHOLE year to use the free upgrade, why update when its in its infancy and drivers are crap/nonexistent?

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgraded on release day.
Works well, slight increase in performance on cpu bound games (world of warcraft etc)
Boots quicker too.

Associate
Don't see the point when you get a WHOLE year to use the free upgrade, why update when its in its infancy and drivers are crap/nonexistent?

Perhaps some of us have taken an image of their data to fall back on so have upgraded with the knowledge they can revert if they don't like it or have issues. With that in mind why not upgrade?

Soldato
I'm liking it, not found any incompatible programs or games yet.
System seems smooth & as already said boot up is quick, although I have installed to an msata drive so was expecting a speed increase.

Associate
I'm already sold. Was actually surprised that I enjoyed Win8.1 on an Asus transformer book I bought recently so I'm in for the count.

Also considering ditching my Galaxy note 4 for a W10 phone to normalise desktop, tablet and phone.

The Note is fine an everything, but really don't need it with the transformer book. Even considering lumping 1.2k of a surface pro 4 when its available.

Now just waiting for the upgrade notification...

Soldato
Has anyone got a PS3 controller working through bluetooth on Windows 10 yet? It's just about the only thing I'm concerned about that is stopping me upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom