Downing St petition to make unauthorised traveller pitches illegal

Man of Honour
Except that the Police don't have the bottle!

I know somebody who runs recovery vehicles. He was contracted by the Police to go with them to a "Traveller" site to recover half a dozen or so stolen vehicles.

When they arrived on site, all the Men came out waving their (no doubt totally illegal) Shotguns and the Police all got back in their cars and nothing more was said about it!

No vehicles were recovered, No arrests were made, No illegal firearms were confiscated! ***** shield of invulnerability strikes again! :mad:

Funny that as I was on a job which involved a nasty assault on a female traveller by a male and I went in and dealt with it on my own.

Back to your story - cops were threatened with illegally held shotguns and nothing was done about it ? I find that a little difficult to believe.

Soldato
But how did they achieve it? As far as I'm aware, it's a lifestyle choice? There are other ways that they could prevent persecution...

No, it's just like being transgender, some people are just born that way and have to go to Kilkenny for a special operation where they have gold earrings, wife beater shirts, and a propensity for scrap metal inserted as well as special lessons where they learn terms like 'dags' and 'I'll fight ya'tor it'.

Soldato
Funny that as I was on a job which involved a nasty assault on a female traveller by a male and I went in and dealt with it on my own.

Back to your story - cops were threatened with illegally held shotguns and nothing was done about it ? I find that a little difficult to believe.

Obviously I wasn't there, and of course the story teller doesn't necessarily know what happened down the line (as it were)

But I have known this chap for 30 years and I have no reason to believe that he was bull****ting me about his own experience on the day.

Soldato
Signed. Lived in a peaceful area, every time the scum pitched up, crime rate went up, cats and dogs would go missing. I left my pushbike out in the garden for years. Rode past a bunch of them a few times after they pitched up next to a round about. Spotted them eyeing me up a few times. Each day (regular timing due to cycling back from work) getting closer and closer to my home. Thought nothing of it.

Then one day. Bike gone.

All could just be coincidence. But I hate them and will never accept their way of life.

Associate
Considering that they have pretty much overrun Birmingham and destroyed both my local parks. I am certainly signing it. They got moved out of one park and just went to the next one down the road, the police stood there told them to go away so they went back to the old park and then just went back a few hours later. How this is acceptable behaviour especially since they vandalise barriers and gates to get into the parks too. It is a joke. Me and the wife wanted to go out for a walk today but now we are stuck inside until they get moved off tomorrow which I am sure they will just move to the next local park.

Soldato
I always find it infuriating on those police shows, like Traffic Cops on the BBC, when the commentator says something like "and the car thieves turned off into a travellers camp" and the police are too scared to follow any further so give up the pursuit with some lame excuse.

Caporegime

Me too. The firearms unit would have been called straight away. The police are not that scared of ******. To ignore it would have been a total dereliction of duty.

Soldato
remember we need to protect this cultural heritage:

<snip>

Some of the subsequent video after that are depressing.

A friend of mine owns a self storage company in Cambridge.

An Irish guy turned up one day saying he had a unit on his caravan lot, and he was going back to Ireland and needed to stash the contents whilst he was aways.

My friend asked why he didn't just leave the items in the unit he already had.

"Good god no, I can't leave it there, it'll get stolen".

They're a group of people that are very hard to like. Whilst they may not all be bad, the only contact any of them seem willing to have with non travellers, is when they're causing trouble.

Soldato
I won't be signing that, but I can appreciate why people get annoyed. Mainly, I get annoyed that Travellers litter. I'm not sure where else they're supposed to go, though, if they want to live a nomadic lifestyle.

I think the way in which Travellers are peddled all over TV, same with these benefit programmes etc, is pretty irresponsible. It mainly seems to generate hatred. I'm sure not all Travellers are unreasonable.

Associate
Stupid petition, it won't get any where.
First off you can't enforce the legal system on a traveler because they are still governed only by common law.
You see their parents didn't take them down to the registry office when they gave birth and sign/register them up to the legal system like our parents did. So essentially they are still free from any sort of government rule.
The police have absolutely no jurisdiction over them until they break an actual law, and not an ACT of law set by our government. Why do you think the police can only move them off public land after a judge has made a ruling against them?

Making it illegal will do nothing to a traveler, but it will mean we can be prosecuted for pitching a tent or parking a caravan in a random spot around the country.
Why anyone would willingly give up their freedoms is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom