Windows 10

Soldato

Thanks for the reply. I looked over that a good fair few times last night.

I thought the telephone activation system would mean I had to talk to some Indian call centre and get nowhere, something I wasn't in the mood for last night. Anyway just rang it to realise it was automated and sent a message straight to my mobile, 5minutes later I have managed to activate windows 7 again. Very clever system that.

Slightly better mood now. Think the overheating is because my old CPU is having to do all the work as it never had time to update the GPU drivers etc.

So this time round, because I never learn:

Fully update windows 7
'Upgrade' to windows 10
Then I can do a fresh Install of windows 10 and it will be activated already

Is this right?

Thanks

Soldato
Fully update windows 7
'Upgrade' to windows 10
Then I can do a fresh Install of windows 10 and it will be activated already

Is this right?

Thanks

Worked for me last night. Only niggle was Win10 didn't import my favourites folder so I lost them. Checked the WinOld folder and they were not there either, so I'd back them up first if I were you.

Soldato
I'm surprised how well Windows 10 runs on a laptop with mechanical. Its even faster and more fluid than 8.1. Just a shame I keep reaching out for the charms bar from previous 8.1 habits.

It activated by itself more or less instantaneously without me ever seeing it. Unlike most peoples problems.

Love the new clock/calendar format.

Runs a dream on my laptop also which was barely functioning on win 7 & 8.

The bit in bold me too! I miss them :(

Soldato
Windows 10 has been running fine for the last week but just had my first blue screen

maf1oy.jpg

Soldato
I seemed have a problem with Edge, how can I stop it download files automatically after I click file to download?

I wanted Edge to asked me whether or not to accept file download before download progress.

Soldato
Installed the full version of 10 Home on my trusty old laptop. Fairly surprised at how smooth the upgrade has been, although I was a little annoyed to find WU had started the upgrade without asking me. Was in the middle of something only to come back to the laptop and find it on the Extracting Files section. Thanks Microsoft! :p It's surprisingly quick, much more responsive than 7 ever was. I have been using the laptop all day today and it's noticeably cooler. I see the CPU is clocked down to 1.3ghz most of the time where I am sure it used to hover at 1.8-2.2ghz in 7.

Soldato
Why not just download the ISO and upgrade that way? I think that will still upgrade your license. I don't think you have to do it through windows update in order to get your upgrade license.

I downloaded media tool, choose upgrade from my win 8.1 and now runs win 10.
why wait for microsoft to get things sorted?
get proactive do it today
so that works

Soldato
I never got the notification on my two laptops, I had to open the notification tool, click the View Progress button at the bottom left and this opened a new window that had a "Get Started" button that I had to click and enter my admin password too, then it started the DL and upgrade process... I run a limited access user account, hence the admin password.

Soldato
Added a Samsung 840 SSD to the old rig and did a fresh install of 10. Skipped or pressed later for the parts where it asked for a key and it installed fine, went into settings and it had activated straight away! :)

Will do a fresh install on the main rig when I can be bothered!

Back
Top Bottom