• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just because new shiny hits doesn't mean we all have to upgrade

Associate
I'm rocking an i5-3450. Should I upgrade? Probably not. Do I want to? Yes!

I have the money to play around with at the moment and I'd like to build an entirely new system, new case, everything. I don't particularly think anything's wrong with that.

As someone else has said - If you sell your Z97 after going to x99, then sell your x99 when going to Z170, you probably won't be losing that much money, and that satisfies the hobby of an enthusiast. They get to spend time doing what they enjoy - playing with shiny new components, there are much worse hobbies to pursue.

Soldato
Easily.

Add a USB 3 card for a fiver (which I did) and a Sata 3 card and you're set.

Anything I've read says PCI 3 doesn't make an ounce of difference yet.

PCIe 3 makes the difference when using 4 lanes for a GPU. 2.0 will throttle with 4 lanes. There's also the same benefits to southbridge. However you need to be in a fairly specific situation to benefit from it.

Caporegime
OP

It's 12 months old... And people are upgrading to it from 4790k

Why didn't they do it in August 2014 they've missed out on 12 months of an upgrade :p

Just because skylake is only 5% faster doesn't suddenly make 4790k pap :p and urge me to spend hundreds on 12 month old tech !

What they need to do with x 99 is to strip the mobos down to what we need on them ...I don't need ten sata 3 ports and HQ onboard audio ... A cheap DAC will always be superior ... I don't need two lan ports :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Skylake hits and now all our systems are as old has the hills ? Nope ... I've been on the quite old x99 platform and saw very little performance for the amount of coin I laid out .

Regret selling my 6 core Xeon x 58 and I'm currently rocking a 4790k

Upgrades have to be worth it people . If your a gamer buying a 5820k will see you no upgrade in real terms . I've seen it and worn the t shirt

Quite frankly I think a 5 % increase with skylake over Devils canyon is just taking the mick .In a blind test no one would know !

Tbh I haven’t really been excited for a CPU release since Ivy Bridge as I was expecting a decent improvement over Sandy. Upon reading the reviews and readying the press slides Intel released it became obvious to me what Intel’s strategy was. Since then I don’t pay much attention to the CPU's reviews, the only thing of interest is Zen and that's only because I want to see AMD get back into the game.

The only compelling reason to upgrade these days is to get the motherboards with all the least features, USB 3.1, SATA express, M.2 etc, those might actually be important to people rather than any marginal increase in CPU performance.

Associate
The best thing about Skylake is how cheap it is ! For £600 you can get a new Chip , Board , DD4 for under £600 and you won't need to upgrade for another 5 years.

Same could be said about 5820k; and you get 2 more cores and 4 more threads.

It's treading far too close to X99 territory, it's even trying to intrude.

Soldato
The best thing about Skylake is how cheap it is ! For £600 you can get a new Chip , Board , DD4 for under £600 and you won't need to upgrade for another 5 years.

I've been looking and Skylake is way over priced. I just spec'd an equivalent Ivybridge system and the Skylake system is not far from costing double.

Considering that Skylake is 14nm the 6700K should cost a lot less than the 22nm 3770K.

Associate
I've yet to run into any games that wont run smoothly with my i5 750 paired with a NVidia 970.
Sure I could maybe crank one or two settings up a bit further with a faster processor but I've never found that a game is not playable or enjoyable with this setup.

Associate
well im going from a AMD 8350 to a i7 6700k, so i think its worth it and be massive boost ,

This is exactly the problem. You can get a 5820K and X99 for the same price as a 6700K and get far better performance. For gaming you only need a z97 board and a 4690k, any more is pointless, but the price of the 6700K makes it completely terrible given that the 5820k is better and the same price.

Associate
Is the i5 6600K not good value at £200? I am upgrading from an i5 2500 (non k) and think that I will see a significant bump as I am now CPU bottlenecked in lots of games on my 980ti.

Caporegime
OP
Is the i5 6600K not good value at £200? I am upgrading from an i5 2500 (non k) and think that I will see a significant bump as I am now CPU bottlenecked in lots of games on my 980ti.

I would rather have a 4790k for 30 more or even less used...4 cores 8 threads and 4.5ghz +

I tested both the 4690k and 4790k in games and HT really offers a boost in certain games.

The 6600k is not a 200 quid chip IMO.

Back
Top Bottom