Cat C Bike

Soldato
I always wanted to buy one to strip down and rebuild as a track bike. So interested to see what people say and if you buy one :)

Soldato
I bought one. It was re-sprayed rubbish etc. I polished the wheels and re-sprayed it. When I wrote it off 6 months later I got market value for it which was a lot higher than I paid for it.

You have to know what you are looking so be careful. Check the frame over carefully and why it is a cat c. Can be because the frames scratched so new frame needed for insurance etc and not an issue.

Soldato
Are they more to insure? Only thing I'm worried about is if the frame is bent,forks fairings ect I can replace

Take measure and straight edge. Measure wheel base etc and check forks over carefully lock to lock etc.

I'm looking at cat C's too. Can be a minefield though. ALWAYS get a HPI check as bikes are so easy to nick and strip.

Soldato
The one I'm interested in seems like a front end crash,mostly fairing/headlight smashed,the rest looks straight

Get it on a centrestand, get someone to hold back down so front wheel is in air, spin wheel and hold screwdriver against fork and wheel rim edge to check for straightness etc. Loads of little tricks. I used to race and so every time I crashed I had to strip and check everything to rebuild it. Never bent a frame but bent forks/yokes/wheels nearly every time.

Soldato
Yh I can get the wheels straightened,far as I can tell its front top fairing,left/right mid fairing,right bottom bellypan,headlight,lever,bar end,exhaust can,and maybe front leaking fork

My main concern would be why is the fork leaking? Is it because the fork is slightly bent so not sealing right?

Fairing is easy as it's just a repair kit form Halfords.

Caporegime
OP
Could have popped it from impact? Idk mine leaked like that when I hit a kerb,can get it straightened if its bent it all depends how cheap I can get the bike for

Would you buy one without looking over it? Just from pictures

Back
Top Bottom