New 6600k build wont boot.

Associate
Hi,

Ive just swapped out the guts of my pc with

i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-21300C15 2666MHz Dual Channel.

When I try to turn it on the board lights up and cuts of and the fans spin up for a split second and this repeats until I turn it off.

There are three LEDS on the board label CPU RAM and another. The CPU LED is blinking during this proccess.

I suspect and hope its because the mobo has a 8pin CPU connector and my PSU only has a 4pin one. Im sure ive seen this before though and it still worked! (just checked old mobo that was also 8pin and ran on four pin)

Ive tried one stick off RAM and a reseat to no avail.

If it is the CPU needing an 8pin is there an adaptor I can get or does it need the additional power from the PSU?

Hope you can help
Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:
Associate
OP
YOUR BASKET
1 x Akasa 4 pin to 8 pin ATX PSU adapter cable (AK-CBPW10-15BK) £2.88
Total : £2.88 (includes shipping : Ex.VAT).

Is your psu good enough ?

Its a 500w OCZ. Yeah I know you can get that adapter but obviously its still only giving the same power as a 4pin, it should run on a 4 pin. Ive googled and found a guy with the same problem and it ended it being a bent pin on the mobo! Hope its not that I really do.

Associate
OP
Before rechecking the CPU socket, try a CMOS reset.

Are you sure your PSU does not have a 8 pin :p

Yeah im sure. Ive tried a CMOS reset that made no difference either, im going to have to pull the CPU. Should be ok as its NZXT water one so easy access with rad mounted out the way.

Associate
OP
Right I pulled the CPU, It all looks fine that I can see. Apparently the pins are slightly angled so that when you clamp the CPU it makes a good contact.

Anyway screwed heatsink back down and still the same!

Associate
OP
Ive also just tried unplugging the 24 ATX and shorting the green wire (psu_on) with an earth and the fans on the GFX card spun but nothing else??

Associate
OP
Most of my mates don't even have a laptop haha they all just use ipads. I'll try loosening the CPU cooler when I get back from work. I think I'll have to take it to a PC near me hopefully they will plug a power supply in and see if it boots to rule that out!

Thanks,
Sean

Associate
OP
Right so I tried to slacken CPU cooler and made no difference.

So I then plugged my old mobo/cpu/ram in with just 24pin and 4pin connected and GFX and it all power up as normal although didnt post/boot just hangs.

So as a last resort I pulled the new system out the cased and placed it on the motherboard box with nothing connected (apart from m.2 drive) plugged hdmi into built in, one stick of RAM. Still the same issue flashing CPU LED and its like it gets power then resets constantly.

Where do I go from here? I would assume its the CPU at fault but thats only because the mobo says so haha.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Sean

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
yh socket looks fine from what I can tell

next would be to try and borrow a spare psu to test with,other than that idk,but my money would have been on one of those two things

Ill have to take it too a local pc shop im sure they will plug in a PSU for me to rule it out. If it still does not work then I suppose I would have to RMA the CPU? Although I did read someone else had a simila thing and it was a bent pin in the end. Mobo manual says - CPU not detected or fail .

Thanks,
Sean

Associate
OP
yh its either a power issue,cpu isn't receiving enough juice or a bent pin in the socket,same thing really as the pins wont be making proper contact with the tiny pads on the underside of the cpu

Ok thanks a lot. I take CPUs pretty much never DOA then?

Thanks again,
Sean

Back
Top Bottom