• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me a GPU!

Associate
Hey All,

Please spec me a GPU, looking at around £400 budget. Might spend more if it's worth it depends.

I need 3 display ports out as want to hook up 3X 1080p Dell 22Inch monitors. I program C++ and read pdfs for uni work, Gaming wise want to start playing some newer titles such at GTA V (don't mind not maxing out all settings as I'm not a die hard gamer) I'll only be gaming on one screen at 1080p . Currently play runescape and a few other mmorpg's. spec wise I had a i7 4790k and 16gb G Skills ram. with a gtx 460 :(

cheers

Associate
OP
planetary annihilation is another I play, However held back slightly due to my old card from playing some of the newer titles. Want to get best bang for buck. I doubt I'll upgrade again until 4k is more mainstream and gpu's can handle it without sli/crossfire at max settings so I say this is probs 2 +/- years

Don
£400 is possibly overkill for your current requirements (1080p and not worrying about maxing settings), but does get you right near to the current top end of the GPU market.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-074-KF&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812

£430 (slightly over budget, but all the £400 GTX980's are out of stock atm)

The GTX980's have 3 Displayports, although you don't actually need 3 Display ports if you are only running at 1080p (and or 60hz), DVI (or HDMI if the monitors support it) will be fine.

If you wanted to spend less money, then I imagine a GTX970 would still be fine for your requirements and would be around £250 e.g.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-013-PL&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

Associate
I think the 970 would be the better option as well but not that exact card. One with a better cooler. You'll be splashing £20-50 more but its well worth it for the temps and noise. Gigabyte, Asus or even EVGA are all good.

With the £100 saving you can treat yourself with a Mechanical keyboard for the exessive C++ programming or just not spend it :)

Soldato
390 or 970 imho -- depends which side you fall on. I'd be more inclined to the 390 but I generally do prefer AMD offerings.

Edit: Scratch the 390 - it doesn't have 3 display ports ... Think even my 7970 had 3 DP lol

Last edited:
Associate
£400 (ish) budget and you need 3 DP ports. Depending on which GFX card maker you tend to go with it's between the GTX980 or the R9 Radeon Fury.

I tend to stick with team red so I personally would go with the Fury as it is a little faster and it's only just over a month old so the full potential isn't fully realized as of yet.

Associate
OP
I said display port as I thought DVI was slowly being phased out in favour of it? and display port looks better ^_^

Not really bothered which camp (red/green) as bang for buck is more important providing it works.

Don
Edit: Scratch the 390 - it doesn't have 3 display ports ... Think even my 7970 had 3 DP lol

£400 (ish) budget and you need 3 DP ports. Depending on which GFX card maker you tend to go with it's between the GTX980 or the R9 Radeon Fury.

3 Displayports is NOT a requirement to run 3 1080P monitors - As far as I know Dell don't make any Displayport only monitors - therefore as long as the graphics card can drive 3 independent monitors simultaneously, it doesn't matter whether they are Displayport, DVI, HDMI or even VGA.

I tend to stick with team red so I personally would go with the Fury as it is a little faster and it's only just over a month old so the full potential isn't fully realized as of yet.

Doesn't the Fury perform poorly at 1080P at the moment? So probably a poor choice for the OP.

Associate
OP
Got my arm twisted by another etailor with a 10% off voucher and some... managed to pick up a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ for £450.

Now to hide it from the wife and order a 4k screen hahaha!!

cheers all.

Back
Top Bottom