Samsung 850 EVO - new install - slow speeds?

Associate
Hi all

Just purchased my first ever SSD (from Overclockers UK) - a Samsung 850 EVO - and then installed Win10.

Installed the Samsung software and ran the tests with the following results:

Seq read : 375
Seq write : 260

Random read : 42617
Random write : 35664

Is this normal? Seems low?

After running the performance optimizer and rebooting the speeds were all very slightly slower than above.

PC setup is ASUS P8Z68-V Pro with the SSD plugged into the Marvell SATA 6.0gbs connector (as opposed to the Intel Z68 SATA 6.0gbs connector)

Should i be expecting faster speeds and if so any suggestions as to how to fix?

Many thanks

Associate
I upgraded to windows 10 recently and must admit I saw my SSD speed drop a lot. Thought it was because I upgraded and didn't clean install. I have a 250gb 850 and get those speeds. Was getting way more on win 8.1

Associate
OP
thanks mattmos

At bootup BIOS it says its 6gbps - so hopefully that ok

if i change ports as suggested will that mess up the windows install or anything?

In the meantime any other suggestions welcome [gonna hold swapping SATA ports for a bit as it means removing graphics card]

cheers

Associate
OP
I upgraded to windows 10 recently and must admit I saw my SSD speed drop a lot. Thought it was because I upgraded and didn't clean install. I have a 250gb 850 and get those speeds. Was getting way more on win 8.1

makes me feel a bit happier - sortof :p

might your speeds be due to SATA port being used like me? only if you are using an Intel port then maybe my Marvell port isn't the problem

Associate
I was getting full speed, plus boost speeds on windows 7 and 8.1. Just something about this windows 10. Not a major issue for me. But guess reinstalling is on the cards.

Associate
OP
rebooted and looked at BIOS

there is an advanced setting where AHCI is enabled, and also a separate setting for the Marvell controller where AHCI is also enabled - so far so good

still got to try swapping to the intel controller

am curious as to what speeds other win10 users are getting? - just to get a feel as to how far off i am from what i should expect

thanks

Associate
OP
finally swapped to intel controller - and a big improvement :)

Seq read : 539
Seq write : 513

Random read : 64451
Random write : 59240

are random read/writes still a bit slow???

anyway, thanks all very much for the advice

cheers

Soldato
Here's the latest win 8.1 Intel Rapid Storage download link for your board - link

This should install just fine on win 10.

Just for your reference here's a recent crystal disk mark benchmark done on my 512GB Samsung 850 evo.

Associate
OP
Here's the latest win 8.1 Intel Rapid Storage download link for your board - link

This should install just fine on win 10.

Just for your reference here's a recent crystal disk mark benchmark done on my 512GB Samsung 850 evo.

thanks - i had followed wazza300 advice and looked on mobo website but the latest versions they had seemed very old and certainly didn't reference win10

am a bit wary as you say "should install just fine" - what happens if they don't - could it break the system or is it something you can just uninstall if speeds get worse?

thanks

EDIT
I found this forum post which some may find useful - i think i may hold out until Intel release the win10 version - just to be on the safe side
http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5927-cant-install-intel-rst-program-2.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom