1 £3,000 door

Tea Drinker
Don
OP
The thing is though, seeing it's all CNC machined, it's no "craftsmanship" really, and the entire point of CNC machine is to increase production volume and raise consistency. The return should mean a high quality product at what would be a lower price point.

Theoretically correct however the cnc machine is £700k plus the running cost, maintenance, a roof, insurance, training, loading and a cad monkey.

Associate
If you can do for half the cost I've got 400 I need in batches of 10 weekly starting October.

I'm only a two man band + subbies, it would probably take me a whole year to do them all with my current setup but it could be done far cheaper by just about anyone with a joiners shop. The hardest thing is to source that much timber, I struggled with the few I had to do here, not even a dozen doors worth.

Besides, I'm busy for at least the next 18 months.

Not to say that I would be disinterested as I reckon I could probably up my income by at least 30%, I think I might get a little bored of making doors though.
I'll have a word with my partner as I may have to renege on a contract or two, I really do not want to do that as my business is nearly 100% word of mouth recommendations and I would like to keep my current reputation intact.

If all is O.K. and I can up the manpower, would sapele be sufficient over mahogany?

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the fact that they're barely touched by human hands during construction would be the most galling part considering the price tag. I'd much rather have doors handmade with the inconsistencies that go with that process.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Theoretically correct however the cnc machine is £700k plus the running cost, maintenance, a roof, insurance, training, loading and a cad monkey.

You would need all the above like roof, insurance, tools with a handmade door anyway, with higher material costs, longer lead time, more craftsman than a single CAD monkey. The only difference is the investment in the CNC machine, which by raising production volume should really offset that and drive the costs down because you will be fulfilling a lot more orders.

Take guitar making, CNC machines has meant you can now get a £500 real wood guitar made to the smallest tolerance, much more consistent but they are less desirable than a luthier handmade one.

Human beings likes unique well made, handmade objects, machine made objects is less desirable.

And it comes down to the white elephant in the room, it's still veneer on MDF.

Last edited:
Soldato
And it comes down to the white elephant in the room, it's still veneer on MDF.

You are of course aware that means its wood on wood?

As for your 'what it will look like in a decade' comment, It will look the same except unlike a hardwood door it will still open and close ;)

The OP has done a number on this one, you couldn't get the same door made in solid wood as it would never meet there required acoustic and fire protection so its a mute point but some of the comments in the thread are hilarious - made for some fun reading!

Caporegime
You are of course aware that means its wood on wood?

As for your 'what it will look like in a decade' comment, It will look the same except unlike a hardwood door it will still open and close ;)

The OP has done a number on this one, you couldn't get the same door made in solid wood as it would never meet there required acoustic and fire protection so its a mute point but some of the comments in the thread are hilarious - made for some fun reading!

I didn't say a decade, I said 100 years.

As for I know it's wood on wood, well, it's wood on wood powder mixed in a lot of glue.

I am aware of the requirement for fire regs (I have an architecture degree FYI and spent 3 years in practice). I struggle to believe that there are no doors in existence that can meet the same acoustic and fire requirements and U values under £3k.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't say a decade, I said 100 years.

As for I know it's wood on wood, well, it's wood on wood powder mixed in a lot of glue.

I am aware of the requirement for fire regs (I have an architecture degree FYI and spent 3 years in practice). I struggle to believe that there are no doors in existence that can meet the same acoustic and fire requirements and U values under £3k.

There will be plenty, none of them solid wood so will still be veneer based...

Back
Top Bottom