OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Associate
It might be cheaper but I don't think it'll be as good. You only get 10GB bandwidth and host up to 5 domains vs Vidahosts 50GB bandwidth and 16 domains. You'll probably find a lot of cheaper hosts but it depends what price you want to pay for performance and reliability.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
It might be cheaper but I don't think it'll be as good. You only get 10GB bandwidth and host up to 5 domains vs Vidahosts 50GB bandwidth and 16 domains. You'll probably find a lot of cheaper hosts but it depends what price you want to pay for performance and reliability.

For sure,

decided to upgrade with Vida after reading reviews and looking at various hosts. It's just my space is filling up quick! :) due to my photography.

Associate
Anyone think Vidahost have reached a point now where their growth is having a detrimental effect on their customer service?

Gone are the days when you would receive a response to a ticket within 10 minutes or so. Be lucky to get reply within an hour now. At least, that's been my experience recently.

I have noticed this. We use to get response within 10-20 minutes now more like 30 min to 6 hours.

Still happy with the service thought, they always provide good solution to any server related issues.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a free host? I'm considering starting a blog and with being on such a low income I'm looking at keeping costs down to an absolute minimum

Associate
I've used Falcoda for years. They are excellent and I've never noticed any downtime. They even consistently respond to any queries outside of working hours, which was always a nice surprise! Very respectable pricing structure as well.

Soldato
I currently use TSOHost and they have been fantastic for years.

However does anyone know of a web host which doesn't use a cloud system?

Do you mean you want a traditional dedicated server?
Lots of places offer that, including TSO Host but it's very expensive. A cloud-based virtual server is considerably cheaper and also has a lot of advantages over a physical server.

Associate
For cloud based virtual servers you can't go wrong with Digital Ocean. I've been using it for over a year now and only had 1 downtime of 10 minutes, which was caused by maintenance. Also consider Linode.

As for most people who use Tsohost/Vidahost, I think their service has gone downhill since 2013. We have many services with them inc 2 EV SSL certificate, 2 virtual servers and 2 shared and this year has been difficult getting support with most enquiry taking more then a day or longer.

We are likely to migrate all our services away from Vidahost to Rackspace once the expensive SSL certificates come to an end.

Associate
On the few tickets I've raised it looks like they've got some newer staff. I wouldn't rush to move away though if your query was urgent you could phone them and get an answer straight away. If you moved I don't think you'd get better support plus the hassle of moving.

Man of Honour
For cloud based virtual servers you can't go wrong with Digital Ocean. I've been using it for over a year now and only had 1 downtime of 10 minutes, which was caused by maintenance. Also consider Linode.

As for most people who use Tsohost/Vidahost, I think their service has gone downhill since 2013. We have many services with them inc 2 EV SSL certificate, 2 virtual servers and 2 shared and this year has been difficult getting support with most enquiry taking more then a day or longer.

We are likely to migrate all our services away from Vidahost to Rackspace once the expensive SSL certificates come to an end.
After a bit of searching I've located a ticket where you're having an issue getting a new EV issued. But last year I actually issued your SSL for 2 years with Comodo. Let me have a look and get back to you :)

I don't think the forum has PMs (or it didn't back when I posted 24/7!) - my email is [email protected] if there's anything else I can help with that's either gone wrong or not worked well.

Soldato
I'm after a really cheap host for what will be my portfolio. It will basically be some examples of various kinds of sites and will need a SQL database too so I can show I know how to use it. I don't really want to spend more than a fiver a month. I've looked at a few under that range but don't really know what makes one better than the other.
I already have a domain registered.

Soldato
What kind of SQL do you need? If it's MySQL/PHP then any of the top 3 on the website will do you just fine:

http://www.ochostreview.co.uk/

Disclaimer: I work for Krystal ( 2nd in the list ) - and a number of other people in this thread work for TSO and Vidahost.

Well this will say a lot but I didn't know there were different kinds other than SQL and MySQL. I thought MySQL was the most common so was going to focus on that. Thank you for the link, will have a looksie now.

The £15 a year option on TSOHost does seem very good value.

Last edited:
Associate
After a bit of searching I've located a ticket where you're having an issue getting a new EV issued. But last year I actually issued your SSL for 2 years with Comodo. Let me have a look and get back to you :)

I don't think the forum has PMs (or it didn't back when I posted 24/7!) - my email is [email protected] if there's anything else I can help with that's either gone wrong or not worked well.

I take back what I said about Vidahost last year. They've been really helpful over the last 6 months with numerous issues such as advising of SSL installation on another server, installation of GlobalSign server and subsequent improvements to make it A rated (from C), and today fixing mssql connection issue.

Special mention goes to Steve, Usman, Adam, Craig, Gareth, Patrick and Dom, who've been really helpful dealing with our problems in timely and friendly manner.

ps: You guys should seriously stop selling TrustWave certificates, instead use GlobalSign and Verisign exclusively.

Soldato
Having a truly horrendous experience so far with i3D. Took them nearly a week to setup a basic dedicated server, said server has now died and is non-responsive (even after attempting to connect through system rescue).

Back
Top Bottom