Spec me 70mW 32ohm per channel gaming headphones

Caporegime
Bought the new mixamp pro and it seems really weak.

are HD558's (50ohm) okay to use with the new mixamp?

got a schiit vali for double amping but I don't always want to do this.

Soldato
Does the new one have less power than previous models?

What are you currently using it with?

Regardless of whether it has less power than previous models or not, it should drive the 558 without any trouble I would have thought. They are sensitive headphones and don't require much amping at all.

Soldato
They work but they seem to be quite low and they don't sound as good as my old mixamp.

I think the new mixamp isn't as good as old ones most likely.

So you've already got the HD558's?

If the new Mixamp isn't giving them enough juice, then I'm surprised at Astro making it less powerful. I really did not think it was possible for anything with a headphone socket not to be able to drive the HD5xx well enough. Poor show, Astro.

Caporegime
OP
My Mixamp Pro 2011 drives my Q701. Maybe a problem with the amp? I can't see Astro making it significantly weaker than the previous versions.

Been reading head fi and it seems to be true.

The new mixamp is overall worse in terms of sound. It's really weak as it's powered by USB and not a power socket or batteries. So it's getting it's power from the PS4's usb and it uses that for both power and audio chat now not just audio.

I have only tested 1 game so far. I'll try battlefield 4 hopefully it's the game.

I don't think it's a defective mixamp from what i've read on head fi the newer ones aren't as good in the sound department due to them cleaning up the number of wires/connectivity.

it's still a very good product it just doesn't give me the same sensation of surround sound as it's older sibling or give me as much volume either.

i can crank it to full and it should be deafening but it's bearable. it's as if they don't have enough juice being fed to them which is compromising the sound a little.

I'll try my DT770's and momentums (never use that for gaming but it's my portable can so it must be easy to drive) and see if they are any different.

Might try my Q701's as well if I can be bothered unboxing them.

Associate
Hmmm what are your settings? Are you going using an optical cable because as far as I know, that's thr only way to get DH. In settifs optical out then select Dolby 5.1, then hold the PS button then select chat audio.

Have you done all that?

Caporegime
OP
played the last of us yesterday and wow on about 1/3rd of the dial (with it on 100% game) it was quite loud at times.

i think it's when i use voice chat i need to turn the dial more into the voice section in order to hear people clearly so i think i need to fiddle with voice chat volumes to make them louder.

Hmmm what are your settings? Are you going using an optical cable because as far as I know, that's thr only way to get DH. In settifs optical out then select Dolby 5.1, then hold the PS button then select chat audio.

Have you done all that?

Optical for game sounds
USB for voice chat and power

You could power it via a usb plug
I use hd700s and pc 360s with mine but use the older mixamp pro
Double amp with a fiio e9 will sort you out

I would lose voice chat then.

The new mixamp only uses 2 cables optical and usb that is it. You then obviously need to connect your headphones and mic but there is no power cable as it's powered by the same usb cable that delivers chat.

Caporegime
OP
Could it be a weak USB socket?

Are you using USB 2 or 3? USB 3 provides more power than USB 2.

it's working fine now. it must have been that games settings.

last of us was plenty loud yesterday. destiny was quiet in comparison a few days ago.

must need to change some settings in destiny.

Back
Top Bottom