Headphone amp for HD800

Man of Honour
Sounds like the circuitry isn't quite ideal for the 228 (single amp version of the 2228) - appears to be stable (which with a lot of amps it isn't) as he doesn't mention it sounding "grungy" - the mid-range should be significantly "fuller" sounding though not quite as clear as the LME49710 if its working properly. Very much an op amp you can't just drop into most without some adjustments to the circuit so gets written down a lot.

Doesn't mention the veiled signature of the 8065 (single of the 8066) but I'd imagine it is still there :S

Associate
First off, look into the Anax 2.0 mod: http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,497.0.html

It makes the transition from the upper mid range - lower treble a bit more linear, and helps to reduce some of the nasty peaks without making the headphone sound dark. I would highly recommend doing this.

If you're after a decent amp for the HD 800, take a look at the Gustard H10.

It's essentially a Chinese clone of the venerable Violectric V200, which I find to be one of the better pairings with the HD 800 (at any price point). It's very clean sounding (no noticeable noise floor) and isn't as bright sounding as what people typically expect from a solid state amp. It also has much better low end control than similarly priced tube options. Be aware though that there is a lot of hype around the H10 (especially on Head-Fi...).

I haven't personally compared it back to back against the V200, but it does sound pretty damn good (overall slightly warmer/darker than neutral) and I think it stacks up pretty well against similarly priced options. It's also not going to gimp the tone of the HD 800 by making it darker than it should be. If you're trying to change the sound drastically with an amp, I honestly don't think the HD 800's are the right fit for you. There are plenty of other good options out there if you are after a warmer/darker tone.

Associate
mine doesn't the X7 sounds just as good as the essence one imo I have both.

If the one didn't look so damn nice i'd probably just have the X7,

for what it's got interms of features it's leaps and bounds over most DAC amp combo's maybe not as refined as some similar priced combos but they don't have bluetooth, NFC, dolby, a desktop mic, mic in's, stereo amplifier and regular 5.1 outputs for the money it's performance is frankly brilliant.

My biggest grudge with my Essence one is that i have to use the rubbish onboard mic input.

I can do you a deal on an X7 if you want one :)

Could i get a deal on one please

Soldato
I'd never pick a dac/amp combo that looks more plastic than Cher ... the x7 for the hd800 ? Love my grahamslee for hd700 ( although I had that before the headphones ).

If your short on power points get a combo .. otherwise get seperates imo

Associate
DH devices including Mixamps and any other surround sound device(Don't confuse with the Dolby headsets) will always be better than plan stereo. I can't even game in stereo anymore because DH opens everything up and makes it sound alive. Stereo is too limited for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom