******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
OP
Look for the sim box, think it's always white, round etc. Usually on the level with ships. That should let you into the various flight modes of arena commander

Soldato
OP
Merlin is available to test drive for anyone now: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//14901-Test-Drive-The-Merlin

Also Ben has said that the free flight for GAMESCOM has been extended until the 24th August (said on Reverse the verse.)

If you want to try it (and it's a HUGE download 20Gb+):

1. Visit https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/gamescomflyfree2015
  2. Choose "Enlist Now" to create a new account, if you have an existing account skip this step.
  3. Once the account is created, enter GAMESCOM2015 into the coupon field and hit "Apply Coupon"

Soldato
What the hell is the Merlin? Is this yet another pay ship? Dang... this game gonna make you potless by the time the game is out.

Thanks for the info, whatabout the um.. Raptor is it? No way to test drive that?

Whats this module commander exactly?

Soldato
What the hell is the Merlin? Is this yet another pay ship? Dang... this game gonna make you potless by the time the game is out.

Thanks for the info, whatabout the um.. Raptor is it? No way to test drive that?

Whats this module commander exactly?

U can only fly one ship at a time :)

I have no idea what a raptor is in this context#

ummm, if your package has alpha access, then you are fine. If you only have beta acess, then you need to pay $6 to alpha test each module

Soldato
Yes, as far as we know right now all the ships are purchasable ingame with ingame money. Outside influence through real cash will be limited amount per week, also the ships values will be increased so they cost more ingame/real cash once released.

The only ships that will have difficulty being purchases are the special edition ones such as the 350r, superhornet etc. as they where limited runs to start with. They will have a much lower production instead of the standard models.

Associate
Is this game as expensive and it looks?
No. The cheapest starter package is £23 at the moment, which will get you access to the Star Citizen and Squadron 42 games when they release. There's no firm date for that, so you might be waiting a while.

If you want to play now, you can get the Arena Commander module pass for an extra £4 or so. Not sure about other options, that's pretty much where I am with my pledge.

The biggest barrier to playing the game isn't the cost of the game itself, it's that you need a relatively good PC to play it. And plenty of bandwidth to download!

I mean, £11700 completionist package? will anyone EVER buy that?!?
Some have, others will. Personally I think it's crazy, but each to their own. I'm sure I have hobbies that others would scoff at.

Associate

Not really, you only need a cheap package to play the game. All the more expensive ships you can gradually work your way up to when the game releases.

Something like the Aurora MC AC Starter is enough if you want to jump in right away. Alternatively if you aren't particularly fussed about arena commander or beta access you can get a basic Aurora MC package that doesn't include either for £23.

As for the completionist package I'd have thought there were some people who would spend that kind of money. I mean there was one $10,000 package sold on kickstarter and that only had one ship :p

Soldato
OP

I know at least a dozen guys who have that, some have spent far more than to. These aren't us usual chumps earning £25K/year though, these are millionaires. I might point out that those aren't the top tier of pledge, there is at least one higher one which isn't listed on the site and which can only be purchased after contacting customer services direct.

You can get the game for far less, details in the OP. These guys are doing "pay to own" so they don't have to earn the ships in-game later, the irony is that the instant the game launches the tech in their ships will be outdated as it's all standard equipment, or in the case of the Javelin it's a bare structure which requires weaponry etc to be added later essentially a massive sitting duck. :p

It'll take very little time for the time rich, cash poor to streak ahead. Those guys throwing money at this just want to give it the best chance possible of completion ;)

Soldato

As said, 'pledges' at the moment are funding the game. It's been a wildly successful funding model so far, tapped into my generation (mid-30s professionals who played the original Wing Commander games and have disposal income to chuck about).

I spend $275 on a Constellation last year. For me it was a pledge to support development of a game I really, really want to see succeed. I don't see the ship itself being a huge advantage come launch, not for long anyway.

Back
Top Bottom