Am I Being Unreasonable?

Associate
As the title.

I bought a graphics card off flebay which arrived today and wasn't the model which was listed. (290 Vapor X OC Listed - 290 Vapor X received) I contacted the seller who provided an invoice with the correct model but the box and gpu-z say different.

I asked the seller to cover the return costs which they refused so said I would keep the card for a partial refund which again refused as he believes it is not his fault due to the invoice been correct and they received the wrong card.

Going by reviews online the box is clearly marked as "overclocked" and higher clock speeds. (the card I received have neither)

Am I correct about the card being a different model and being reasonable about the costs?

Caporegime
YANBU

also his invoice from when he bought it has nothing to do with your transaction with him - you can return to him and he can take it up with whoever he bought it from

Man of Honour
Regardless of what it says on the invoice if the card has has sold you isn't running at the X OC speeds out the box he hasn't fulfilled his side of the sale.

Check what clock speeds it is actually running at as sometimes OC model cards don't look/named any different to regular models in stuff like GPU-z.

Caporegime
Item not as described. You've attempted to be reasonable with him, raise a return through eBay, return the card via recorded delivery and get your money back.

Associate
OP
Just as I thought, I haven't took much notice of the invoice as like you say it is nothing to do with me.

Gpuz says the default clock speed is 950MHz (If I remember correctly) and memory is 1400MHz. I'd rather double check I am correct before raising a case with eBay as the seller is fairly new on eBay and rather not mess it up for them if I am wrong.

Like I say I am going by reviews online and gpuz screenshot of the OC model.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Permabanned
Stop buying off Ebay it is a wind up merchants dream. What i would do is the following, Send one single warning and after that flag a PP/Ebay dispute win and then send him an email laughing and advising him next time to listen to the customer.

I bought a plug for a laptop off Ebay last week, From a powerseller the bag arrived ripped to shreds and the plug covered in paint. The response i revicved was that this was "impossible" and even so the plug should still be in working order and if i wanted i could pay for returns. I nearly spat out my tea and proceeded to inform him he had one chance to send a new one or a dispute and feedback would follow. Next day they are all sorry sorry new plug is on the way. At the end of the day DO NOT USE EBAY!!

All of this over a £5.99 plug.

Associate
OP
THIS! Research before throwing toys !

Have spent most of the evening looking for details to back up what I have been saying. Have just double checked the model number off the box and after a Google search brings up the non OC model.

Have you thought about overclocking it yourself.

As already mentioned it is not really the point that I can overclock the card more the principle and knowing it may not be the card I bought. Tbf if they had accepted it was the wrong card and apologized I would have left it at that as the other company has provided him with the wrong card.

Permabanned
Just send some poo and ask him to post it through his own letter box to save you the trouble - you could demand the postage costs if you wish.

Okay I know the joke is getting old but this is serious...

Last edited:
Associate
Look for 290 Tri X on Amazon it is the correct model number for the one you posted.

The Tri X OC is 11227-04-40G and runs at 1050MHz.

At the end of the day does it really matter, 100MHz is hardly a deal breaker.

I know this is a case of false advertising but if you got it for a decent price whats the problem, OC models aren't exactly that much more expensive second hand.

If you really want to get your money back just open a case with paypal, personally I would just keep the card, it is identical to OC model and you can OC it yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom