Metal Gear Solid. The Phantom pain.

Associate
Twin snakes is inferior to the orignal MGS and I would advise not playing that instead of MGS.

http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-a...8-original/?section=articles&content=ttsvsmgs

My only real issue with twin snakes is the voice acting. It does feel like most of them couldn't be bothered redoing their lines. I could live with the matrix cutscenes if it wasn't for that.

Funnily enough the voice acting (keifer Sutherland) is also why I'm really on the fence about phantom pain. It did annoy me a lot during ground zeroes.

Associate
Soldato
just got a code for this with my new 980ti which will arrive tomorrow :)

Unsure what this series of games is like as never played one before.

I just found this article with info from an la event dated yesterday.

All info also below

How long would you estimate the game being?

@YongYea: Can’t say for sure, but eight hours of the game only yielded five percent: six main missions; four side ops. The story is more spaced out, but there is definitely a lot of story. But you’ll spend much more time with gameplay.

How is the gameplay compared to Ground Zeroes?

@YongYea: Everything feels better and more refined. Also, much more open, more options, more freedom, more everything.

Can we actually crawl slowly in The Phantom Pain?

@YongYea: Yes. You can even hold triangle to lay down completely flat on the ground and reduce your profile. Can’t inch-worm, though, though like in MGS4.

Did you feel the game was “fractured” at all, as was stated in that article you discussed on the Codec?

@YongYea: No, everything’s quite seamless. There’s the occasional loading screen between field and air command, but everything just flows.

So how expensive/difficult is it to fulton assets? Sometimes it looked to me like you can just fulton everything. Do you get to start customizing Mother Base as soon as you finish the first mission in Afghanistan?

@crimsonfox_MGI: Gameplay demos show everything fully upgraded. Nothing is given to you. You have to work for everything. It’s worth it.

@YongYea: Items and weapons are developed instantly, only new struts/facilities take real time to develop. Usually around one hour.

Can you talk about the weapons you’ll have access to and be able to build in the beginning of the game?

@YongYea: MRS4 rifle, tranquilliser gun, and a couple of other things. Because your Mother Base is in infancy, so is your arsenal. That grows with time.

Is weapons customization as huge as it was in MGS4? Also, Mother Base menus look clunky, are they easy to navigate through?

@YongYea: Yes, it’s even bigger. The MB menu can be overwhelming. Once you get used to it, it’s relatively intuitive.

How did progression ‘feel’ in the time you played? How much stronger was your army at the end of your play from when you started?

@YongYea: Progression feels very gradual. Very limited equipment starting out, but then you get newer and cooler stuff.

How does the game feel? Does stealth work well?

@YongYea: Extremely well. Soldiers are smarter, mechanics are sharper.

How smart is the AI?

@crimsonfox_MGI: I played GZ for a while to prepare for this event. My perception was betrayed; the AI is no joke.

@YongYea: I got detected a decent amount. Enemy AI is smarter than GZ.

Has the gameplay been improved? Head-shots with the DualShock4 in Ground Zeroes were kinda hard.

@YongYea: There are improvements. Head-shots still require skill, though, because of bullet drop.

Do you know how long on average it takes for soldiers to go from alert phase back to normal?

@YongYea: A really long time. Thankfully, you can escape the base thanks to open field, but it still takes a while until soldiers ease.

Can you tell us some of your favorite game mechanics that haven’t been revealed so far?

@YongYea: One cool new addition is that when Snake dives from high place, he does a roll and seamlessly transitions.

Do you find pop ins a lot?

@YongYea: Occasionally yes, but you eventually forget about it. There’s many other things to worry about.

How is D-horse to control – does it feel as good as Red Dead Redemption?

@YongYea: They feel really good. One of the best horses in games. Hopping on D-Horse while sprinting is awesome.

How alive do these sand boxes feel?

@YongYea: The bases feel pretty alive. Some bigger than others. Obviously, it’s no GTA, purely infiltration. The fields are empty, with mostly flora and fauna, but that’s not a bad thing. Empty field is useful for escape and to plan.

Are there any indoor areas that are more complex than outposts? Like an actual facility or buildings?

@crimsonfox_MGI: Tons of different environments. There’s a nice range of difficulties.

Were you able to unlock harder difficulties so far or do you think it’s not something that’s going to be available before the end?

@YongYea: I believe harder difficulty is unlocked once you beat the game once.

Are there still lengthy cutscenes and how much does Snake interact in them? Do we hear Keifer’s voice much?

@YongYea: Cutscenes are more spread out, but they are all awesome. We hear him quite a bit in intro and cassette. In cutscenes after that so far, only a handful of times.

We’ve seen the main menu screen shows Big Boss in the chopper post-coma, but what is it when you first fire up the game?

@YongYea: All I can say is that the game does begin with hospital sequence.

So far with what you have played, would you say that MGSV is an early contender for GOTY?

@YongYea: The hospital scene alone makes this game a contender.

I’m assuming you can’t say much about it, if anything at all, but how is the hospital escape scene? General impressions?

@YongYea: It’s BAT**** CRAZY. Some of the best presentation I’ve seen ever. Pure thrills, horror, and brutality.

@crimsonfox_MGI: [It] took me a good little chunk of time. I’m not sure if I can say exactly, but… It’s definitely worth taking your time.

In terms of story presentation, how does it compare to games like The Las of Us?

@crimsonfox_MGI: The cinematography by Kojima is something to phone home about in TPP for sure. I’ve replayed certain parts just to see it again.

Were there any cool features that surprised you?

@crimsonfox_MGI: All the features surprised me. The game is mind **** from the very beginning. Literally nothing is what it seems. This game will throw everyone for a loop.

Have there been any cool Easter eggs that you have noticed so far?

@crimsonfox_MGI: It’s a game for fans for sure. Enough to keep new players invested as well.

What’s been your favourite part so far?

@crimsonfox_MGI: Music has been amazing.

Can you tell us one thing you don’t like (besides the opening credits)?

@YongYea: Sometimes traveling long distances can be a drag, and chopper takes a bit too long to pick you up/drop you. I think this was done to allow game to load maybe, I don’t know though. Not terrible though. You can still interact with idroid.

Soldato
Konami has confirmed that the PC version of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will not support a pre-load option on Steam. Which means that everyone will be hitting the servers at roughly the same time on September 1.

Robert Allen Peeler, the Metal Gear community manager, confirmed this to a fan on Twitter, and added that the console versions will still allow pre-load, which is somewhat puzzling.

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/20/no-pre-load-for-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-on-pc/

This is going to be a pain on my crappy internet.

Associate
since batman, im worried about "console ports" etc, can any one confirm how well ground zeroes ran on pc? should be good enough to go by that!

You should be able to run both games with your build fine. At worst possibly tinkering with some of the settings to get your frame rate to stay at 60 (if you are one of those) in the more demanding areas but that only applies to TPP
Ground zeroes is much smaller scope and you should be able to run it like a boss with 2500k/970

Like you am very skeptical of all things "ported" but its got to be said I don't feel they did too shabby a job with GZ... my laptop is very similar to what you have (cpu/vga) and mopped the floor with it. Main setup at home is even better.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh god, I am so hyped for this.

Been replaying a lot of them recently, or watching the Metal Gear Scanlon series on Giantbomb. This is possibly my top video gaming series of all time.

I think if anyone has the time and hasn't played through the previous games, cram them in as quickly as possible before launch. You will get so much more out of the Phantom Pain if you do. Each game is great on its own, but when you tie it all together it really makes it something special.

Soldato
since batman, im worried about "console ports" etc, can any one confirm how well ground zeroes ran on pc? should be good enough to go by that!
It apparently ran extremely well. With lots of nice PC-specific enhancements.

Looks like Phantom Pain is continuing with that, creating even better/more graphics options, and of course, most reassuringly - is again all being done in-house.

I'd say chances of this being a good port are very high.

Associate
when is this out? again I'm really looking forward to this and fallout 4

The PC release date was moved forward, so both the PC version and console versions come out on the 1st September. Though PC users won't be able to preload.

MGO (The multiplayer mode) won't be available straight away, MGO comes out on consoles in October and for PC it will come out sometime in January. :)

Associate
Wrapped spoiler just for the sake of those who have not seen the countless trailers, previews etc floating around on YT

Its a fan edit, just thought the dialogue from Kaz (one of my favourite characters) a minute or so in was beautifully executed

Also thought the E3 2014 "nuclear" trailer was brilliant, Kojima a Mike Oldfield fan, who would had thought :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If we can go by Ground Zero for Performance of Phantom Pain then I can say This games PC optimization is simply superb.

At 1440p I changed three settings to get locked 60fps Shadows, Screen Filtering, SSAO. Everything else was on highest.

At 1080p 60fps locked on full highest setting.

And this on a i7 3770k @4.2 and a single 290 @1030

I was completely shocked how well this runs.
Here a test video, I didn't expect intro to be so long, so I just run and gun after it.

Soldato
Completely forgot its coming to the older consoles too, so must be a pretty scalable engine! Does make me wonder how much nicer it could look fully focused on newer hardware but it looks great anyway!

Back
Top Bottom