Rant - London rent prices...

Caporegime
yeah tbh I'm not sure what the issue with a flat share is as a student - tis pretty standard

though a 1 bed flat is still feasible for the OP south of the river

Soldato
Have you tried looking for private rents rather than ones through estate agents? Some private landlords are dodgy but you'll save quite a bit of money.

Soldato
Everyone's an expert on OcUK aren't they? If you actually click on the adverts you'll find they're either parking spaces or flatshares. People like to lie a lot too when advertising these places which makes finding places even more difficult.
I have to admit, I've never seen that before - that'll teach me to check the actual "properties" in future. :D:o

Man of Honour
yeah tbh I'm not sure what the issue with a flat share is as a student - tis pretty standard

though a 1 bed flat is still feasible for the OP south of the river

Depends a bit on the setup but as a relatively private person I'm not the most comfortable with house/flat shares. Fortunately not been in the situation so far to have to consider it.

As IIRC the OP mentioned to a degree going further out you have to weigh up the travel costs but from my own experience south of the river has plenty of potential if you are realistic.

Caporegime
I'm talking zone 2 or 3 - South East London

so travel costs will be the same - he could feasibly get a 1 bedroom apartment with an easy commute to London Bridge/Waterloo East/Charring Cross or Cannon Street

Soldato
You think a 4-bed house would be the norm for two people?

What are you smoking? And can I have some?

Want to study and live in central London full time? Have rich parents.

Or flat share in a dive.

Otherwise, forget it.

Associate
Yeah, you could be your own lanlord, and rent your own place to friends/people you know, and actually pay less than everyone else. Only downside is..youre responsible, so no fawk ups if they dont pay you! only people you trust

Associate
OP
You think a 4-bed house would be the norm for two people?

What are you smoking? And can I have some?

Want to study and live in central London full time? Have rich parents.

Or flat share in a dive.

Otherwise, forget it.

Okay so the whole 4 bed thing? I think everyone should have so much more space I don't think it's right humans live in such cramped conditions and be told that's how it is.

Associate
Okay so the whole 4 bed thing? I think everyone should have so much more space I don't think it's right humans live in such cramped conditions and be told that's how it is.

That's how it is unless you have lots of money (particularly in London).
It is simply supply and demand.

Soldato
This is why I left the UK. Just emigrate, it's so refreshing to be away from the endemic British property insanity. Apart from all the other cool stuff about living somewhere new.

Associate
LOL four bed house for a student and his gf in London.

When you sober up you should consider a house share. I moved to London last year after graduating and found a decent sized room in a four bed house in Tooting for £500/month bills inc. I was on a pittance graduate salary of £22K. A year later I'm on 50% more and I can consider something marginally better. Maybe I'll have your four bed in Zone 2 in 20 years if I'm lucky.

Soldato
Sorry, I only mentioned Sweden because I like the country - not for the rent prices.

And did you like London and not look into the rent prices too?

When I worked in London I lived in a box room in shared accommodation. When you are young you suck it up. You are being totally unrealistic.

Soldato
Jesus, i'm nowhere near london and i cant afford to rent a room in halls let alone privately, i'm having to live at home, driving a 15 year old skoda thats not too far from death and i can still barely scrape by with student loan+ money from parents and i consider myself well off (i can afford a car for a start)

Soldato
you're only a student - you should really be house sharing like most other students.

And then when you graduate you can move out of the over priced dump that is london ;)

Associate
Who would subsidise that? When councils are struggling to house their own residents, I don't think they should be spending money on subsidising students.

Universities already subsidise student accommodation they own. However, they only can generally support first year students.

I'm sure the government can help with the expenditure. Afterall, they will invest supposedly £50 billion on the HS2 transport link, which will cut down transport from London to Birmingham by 20 minutes, wow; and I don't even like Birmingham.

Caporegime
Lol a student living in a 4 bed house in London?

Check your reality at the door mate.

It's not just London either, there's some new houses here in a ****e location and the two beds are up for rent at £1,200 a month!!! It's a joke.

Back
Top Bottom