Virgin Media broadband internet signal loss

Soldato
Any Virgin Media broadband / Cable knowledgeable people in here?

I'll shorten the history up until today...

* Moved into a house last year that had Virgin Media installed already.
* Ordered VM broadband and did a self install with the Superhub 2.
* Superhub is ethernet wired to a PC and does the wifi for phones and Playstation.
* Internet signal drop outs on wired and wifi started happening intermittently and the only cure was to reboot the router.
* Drop outs got worse so used Modem Mode on the Superhub and connected my own wireless router.
* Drop outs still happening intermittently.
* Contacted VM and was told the line is okay and maintenance has been done in our area.
* Drop outs continue :(

The above is spread out over the last year until the weekend when I got tired of rebooting the router all the time.

Google searching and contacting VM begins.

So, I have looked at the cable installation coming into the house which I believe was installed in either 1995 or 2006, by who I do not know but the outside box on the wall has Nynex embossed on it. A label inside shows 10/95 and a small record card also in the box shows 2006. In the box is nothing but 2 cables, one has a number of cores that connects to the telephone socket inside and the other is the coax cable that is inline connected to another coax cable going through the wall.

The cable goes through the wall into another box inside labelled NTL (no dates found) Inside is an Isolated 2 Way Splitter 5-1000mhz, model Vocom Digital Qamtex VQ302LC with 1 input and 2 outputs.

Now a friend suggested removing the Splitter and connecting the Superhub directly to the incoming coax. Sure enough this made a massive difference. The 'handshake' to the VM network was super quick and checking the Superhub settings shows all Downstream channels locked. Hooray!

Since doing this on Saturday, internet connection has been flawless.

Now some Q's...

* Is it accurate to assume the Splitter is faulty?

* Is it worth trying to get VM to come out or should I just buy a new Isolator off the tinterweb?

I ask as the fault is intermittent and when I eventually get through to VM and follow their 'procedure' over the phone, it works...but it dosent as it drops out again at some point.

Im trying to self repair the fault in the house short of opening up the street cabinet and poking about with a screwdriver lol (I wouldnt do this, just to clarify)

Associate
Sounds like you have a old isolator. Try not to by pass the ISO as can be a fire hazard. I can send you a new style ISO if needs be.

Also make sure the modem is in spec. ( downstream / upstream ) Power levels.

Underboss
I have to reset my router daily, my current cycle is first thing in the morning and when I get home early evening.

Not a habit I want to continue but alas VM say there is no fault on my line. Same exact issues as yourself, might look into this splitter issue.

Soldato
* Is it worth trying to get VM to come out or should I just buy a new Isolator off the tinterweb?

Of course it's worth it, its FREE!

Plus they'll know what they're doing. You can introduce bad stuff/interference into a cable network by using wrong type or poor quality things.

Back
Top Bottom