Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand - holidays

Soldato
OP
Spent 3.5 weeks in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam earlier this year

Spent the following time in the following places.

3 Nights Bangkok
2 Nights Siem Reap
4 Nights Sihanoukville
2 Nights Koh Rong
3 Nights Phnom Penh
3 Nights Ho Chi Minh City
7 Nights Hoi An

Don't have time to go through everything we did but can whole heatedly recommend the Lazy Beach villas on Koh Rong Samloem. http://lazybeachcambodia.com/Home.html

Pretty expensive for Cambodian standards ($60 per night) but I thought they were worth it. Stunning beach which was pretty much exclusively for Lazy Beach guests, large beach front bungalows with big terraces and hammocks. Fantastic for just chilling out and getting away from everything!

EDIT - completely didnt realise i'd already replied to this thread above haha!

No problem mate. I resurrected it. ;)

Soldato
OP
I think the big question is, I had everything more or less mapped out which included a week at a beach resort, doing nothing but boozing and beach.

However visiting Hoi An (which means also visiting Danang) means I will get less beach time. Is it worth it?

I could for example do 3 days in Hoi An and 4 days at the beach.

What about Danang it's self. Worth a visit?

Associate
Hoi An has a damn nice beach! Spend 4 days there and you will have seen everything.

Danang, Small city its popular with local/Asian tourists, Has a dragon bridge that breaths fire on a Saturday night, couple of decent expat bars filled with dutch guys who work ty the port & tons off seafood places along the whole lobster for a £5 !

The Hai Van Pass ( windy moutain road on top gear ) is just above danang and worth a run on if your into bikes.

Around Danang a moped is a great idea, Hoi an is small so you can just walk/cycle around it.

Soldato
OP
Hoi An has a damn nice beach! Spend 4 days there and you will have seen everything.

Danang, Small city its popular with local/Asian tourists, Has a dragon bridge that breaths fire on a Saturday night, couple of decent expat bars filled with dutch guys who work ty the port & tons off seafood places along the whole lobster for a £5 !

The Hai Van Pass ( windy moutain road on top gear ) is just above danang and worth a run on if your into bikes.

Around Danang a moped is a great idea, Hoi an is small so you can just walk/cycle around it.

Is Hoi An lively enough if I wanted to go out to a bar (young people/girls) :D?

This was the initial plan.

London to Bangkok stay 1 day. (Been here before)
Fly to Chaing Mia (stay 3-4 days) (This is another question. Get the sleeper train or not? Is it worth it for the experience or just waste of time when I can fly for £40)
Boat to Luang Prabang (stay a few days) (Boat takes 3 days to get there)
Get to Vientiane (I think you can fly) (stay a few days)
Fly to Hanoi and visit Ha Long Bay (stay a few days)
Flight to Ho Chi Ming city (stay a few days)
Flight to Seam Reap (stay a few days)
1 week at a beach resort. Partying and Sun.

Haven't workout how many days I'll stay in each place yet. On average 3-4 I reckon.

I think actually maybe 1 week in the sun is too much. I might* get board. I'm not a massive drinker nor a massive sun worshipper.

That leaves how to factor in Danang/Hoi An.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seven nights in Hoi Ann?! 4 max tbh.

7 nights for us as it was the end of our hols and we'd booked to stay in a nice resort for lots of chilling out :) Was perfect.,

I think the big question is, I had everything more or less mapped out which included a week at a beach resort, doing nothing but boozing and beach.

However visiting Hoi An (which means also visiting Danang) means I will get less beach time. Is it worth it?

I could for example do 3 days in Hoi An and 4 days at the beach.

What about Danang it's self. Worth a visit?

Danang is OK for a walk about I found. We got the public bus from Hoi An, took about 40 mins, spent the day mooching about the city markets and shopping centres. Don't be conned by the locals on the bus btw, it shouldn't be more than 18000-20000vnd iirc. They will try and get you to part with 100000-150000vnd.

Is Hoi An lively enough if I wanted to go out to a bar (young people/girls) :D?

This was the initial plan.

London to Bangkok stay 1 day. (Been here before)
Fly to Chaing Mia (stay 3-4 days) (This is another question. Get the sleeper train or not? Is it worth it for the experience or just waste of time when I can fly for £40)
Boat to Luang Prabang (stay a few days) (Boat takes 3 days to get there)
Get to Vientiane (I think you can fly) (stay a few days)
Fly to Hanoi and visit Ha Long Bay (stay a few days)
Flight to Ho Chi Ming city (stay a few days)
Flight to Seam Reap (stay a few days)
1 week at a beach resort. Partying and Sun.

Haven't workout how many days I'll stay in each place yet. On average 3-4 I reckon.

I think actually maybe 1 week in the sun is too much. I might* get board. I'm not a massive drinker nor a massive sun worshipper.

That leaves how to factor in Danang/Hoi An.

4 days would be enough in Hoi An, its not a massive town so not millions of things to do. Enough time to get a suit made, do a cooking class and enjoy the ambience along the river!

Soldato
I had a couple of awesome nights in Hoi An. We were only there for 3 nights, but it's definitely got a party scene. It's a bit quieter and tamer than other places, but there are heaps of bars and a handful of clubs. There's even a club which is free. To get into and drink. I kid you not.

Soldato
OP
Has any one done any of the Elephant or Tiger visits in Thailand?

To be honest I'm too chicken to go see the Tigers, I'm also too chicken to go see the Elephants. But I cant go all the way out to Thailand again and not do either.

Part of my trip involves Chiang Mia, so I'm thinking elephants.

I'm travelling on my own however. Stupid question, but there must be other people in Chaing Mia who will want to do this on the day and so I will be with a group of people?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So my current itinerary looks like this:

London to Bangkok
Bankok to Chian Mia
Chaing Mia to Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang to Hanoi
Hanoi to Hoi An
Hoi An to Siam Reap
Siam Reap to Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville to Bangkok
Bangkok to London

The above was going to take me 4 weeks. Maybe, in an effort to not get too fatigued moving around every 4 days and to cut costs I might drop Vietnam altogether.

London to Bangkok
Bankok to Chiang Mia
Chaing Mia to Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang to Siam Reap
Siam Reap to Sihanoukville
Sihanoukville to Bangkok
Bangkok to London

Do the above in three weeks.

Q. Vientiane worth going?

Q. If I'm in Siam Reap are there any other beach destinations I can get to easily enough better than Sihanoukville. What attracts me about Sihanoukville is I can fly to it from Siam Reap. Phuket also has an airport, but I fear Phuket will be full of drunks and ladies of the night as Koh Samui was when I went in 2013.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom