DENIS

PDW

PDW

Associate
There is a BOINC project called DENIS@Home that describes itself as:

DENIS uses volunteer devices to compute large amounts of cardiac electrophysiological simulations. DENIS uses the idle time on your computer (Windows or Linux) to simulate the electrical activity of the heart.

You can sign up for it in Boinc Manager but an optimized Windows app has been created that runs a lot faster that the project team are talking with its developer to get it integrated into the official app. This forum thread http://denis.usj.es/denisathome/forum_thread.php?id=53 discusses it and includes the link to obtain and install the optimized app.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I noticed today you had joined :)

Didn't know if you had seen the thread about doing the research up to ten times faster though so thought I would post about the project. As you say it seems a great cause.

Associate
I saw the thread and unzipped the files to the specified folder but haven't been able to see any major speed up. I couldn't see any other instructions but to unzip them. Is that all you did? The tasks still appear to take 30-35mins to complete.

Associate
Did you stop Boinc running before you copied them in ?

Yes, i exited boinc completely, unzipped them then started boinc up again.

Edit: I might've solved it...... in your "c:\program data\boinc\projects\denis......\" folder do you have a folder in there called "Denis" ? I might have unzipped the folder rather than the files within it.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow !! Yes that was the problem, just moved the files out of that unzipped folder and restarted boinc ! Much faster :) Tasks now completing in 3 mins !!

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Are you limiting the number of running tasks so you leave a core free for your folding work ?

Associate
Yes, and i run fah on gpu, boinc on cpu.

Now optimized on 3 pc's. No apparent increase on cpu load either, which is nice :)

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Okay. Will see how much you get done in the next few days to see how long before you overtake me :(

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
If you are running 24/7 I expect you will be putting out 60,000 - 80,000 points, maybe more :eek:

Soldato
would an i3 be worth running this on? I have my pc here but currently can only connect to the net with a cable which runs across the front room LOL, it needs updating ect so might set it up now as I want it ready for tomorrow so I can stick more gpus in for folding ;)

Associate
2 machines 24/7 but not on all cores as they are doing other things such as cctv monitoring and recording and satellite tv dvr too, so 24/7 is:
3 cores on 4790k
2 cores on 4460
Then one more pc is on from 7am to midnight on 3 cores of it's 4790k

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I'm running it on 3 cores of an i3 and it gets just under 4,000 a day according to its RAC.

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
2 machines 24/7 but not on all cores as they are doing other things such as cctv monitoring and recording and satellite tv dvr too, so 24/7 is:
3 cores on 4790k
2 cores on 4460
Then one more pc is on from 7am to midnight on 3 cores of it's 4790k

In that case it might be a long slow haul to overtake me, I'd assumed 7+7+3 cores. Will take a few days to settle down before we see who is kicking out the most points...

Associate
The new speed is insane, the 3 cores of 4790k has completed 50 tasks since post#7 less than 50 mins ago !! Was taking 30+ mins per task before. I hope the project has enough work to dish out !

Associate
Oh I like the sound of this project had a bit of a heart scare myself but all turned out well but its something I'd like to contribute to, will set it up next time home.

Back
Top Bottom