New rider do's and dont's

Soldato
This is why I love my top box, don't understand why more people don't have them.
1/. Have to buy top box, fitting plate, rack and fixings all as separate items. Even second-hand, these are FLIPPIN' expensive!!!

2/. Can't carry as much in a topbox as in my pack, can't collapse it down and can't as easily cart it around town.

3/. Would have to get a pillion backrest (more money) and lug the wife around!!

4/. Racks all attach to the indicator mounts, which on my bike were damaged in the off and even with serious welding I'd still not trust them to bear more than a couple kilos of weight.

Soldato
1/. Have to buy top box, fitting plate, rack and fixings all as separate items. Even second-hand, these are FLIPPIN' expensive!!!

2/. Can't carry as much in a topbox as in my pack, can't collapse it down and can't as easily cart it around town.

3/. Would have to get a pillion backrest (more money) and lug the wife around!!

4/. Racks all attach to the indicator mounts, which on my bike were damaged in the off and even with serious welding I'd still not trust them to bear more than a couple kilos of weight.

1. Mine was free :D Givi

2. I can carry 2 crash helmets.

3. **** the wife.

4. No they do not, not all.

But they do look Fugly.

That is why only my work horse has one.

Last edited:
Associate
Ha, they usually say that either on the tags or a tag in the pocket.

This is why I love my top box, don't understand why more people don't have them. No worries with fitting stuff in, getting wet or damaging your spine from wearing a backpack - not to mention not wearing a backpack is always more comfortable.

I don't like top boxes but my bike is all about practicality and for commuting it's a necessity even though I have a frunk too. I also don't think Rucksacks are safe and only use mine when absolutely necessary.
Still I had my phone in my pocket and got caught in heavy raid mid commute.

I managed to get a barely used Honda top box and rack for £100. You should really be able to get top box and rack for any bike for around £200 if you shop carefully but if you want the Givi or bike branded stuff then yeah it'll cost ya.

Soldato
I managed to get a barely used Honda top box and rack for £100. You should really be able to get top box and rack for any bike for around £200 if you shop carefully but if you want the Givi or bike branded stuff then yeah it'll cost ya.
They don't make cheap stuff like that for my bike. Even the Ventura soft stuff *starts* at £260 for a full outfit. Givi is insanely expensive!

2. I can carry 2 crash helmets.
I get that, plus 40L of spare space. Plus the pack compresses down, while a box remains a big rigid thing that gets in the way.

3. **** the wife.
Oh, I do! :p
But until I can finish getting her bike fixed, or get sorted with a car, I am obliged to ferry her about on the odd occasion.

4. No they do not, not all.
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW - If you can find me one (decent) topbox rack that doesn't use the indicator mounts, I'll be impressed!!

Soldato
I get that, plus 40L of spare space. Plus the pack compresses down, while a box remains a big rigid thing that gets in the way.

Yamaha FJ1200 3XW - If you can find me one (decent) topbox rack that doesn't use the indicator mounts, I'll be impressed!!

Are you talking about a back pack ?

I thought you was referring to all racks on all bikes not fj1200 specific.

Soldato
Are you talking about a back pack ?
Yup.
Pack, Bergen, Backpack, Rucksack, that sort of thing.

I thought you was referring to all racks on all bikes not fj1200 specific.
Nah, I meant all the rack models that fit mine. I haven't a clue what other bikes' kits are like - Just explaining why I don't have one on mine.

Givi racks are only £100.
It's the total cost that kills it.
Rack - £107
Mounting Plate - £42
Fixings Set - £23
Top Box - £240

Even second hand, they're over £350.

You seriously carry 47litres plus on your back?!
40+ litres is just the space I'd have free after I've packed two lids.
I carry up to 109L, depending on the job, or 112L if I have a first aid kit. If it gets too bulky for my tastes, I can quick-lash it to the tie downs and use it as a backrest. Tankbags and tailpacks just aren't big enough.

And you don't carry the top box around with you, you leave it on the bike :p
Exactly - That's why it's pointless for me. No point in having large luggage capacity if I then have to empty it all out before I can lug it further than wherever I've parked.

Caporegime
40+ litres is just the space I'd have free after I've packed two lids.
I carry up to 109L, depending on the job, or 112L if I have a first aid kit. If it gets too bulky for my tastes, I can quick-lash it to the tie downs and use it as a backrest. Tankbags and tailpacks just aren't big enough.

wait what??

picture of this gargantuan back pack needed

lXb2dxV.jpg

cause thats a basic 100l backpack!?

you seriously cant be riding with something like that on?

im starting to see why you think filtering is dangerous Jesus

Soldato
bags connection cargobag?
Wrong shape and a bit awkward to carry across muddy fields to reach site.

wait what??
picture of this gargantuan back pack needed
Karrimor SF Tecmac 50, with PLCE side pouches, two large PALS dump pouches, first aid kit and lid floated to accomodate bulky work PPE.
It's basically a smaller version of the issue Infantry Bergen - That one IS big!!

cause thats a basic 100l backpack!?
Not far off. The Infantry Bergen is 165L.

you seriously cant be riding with something like that on?
As with all my other packs on all my other bikes, if it gets too big, it gets lashed to the tie downs. Only really affects the handling at (ahem) higher speeds and it doesn't even stick out as far as my indicators - Benefits of having a wide, supportive pillion seat!

im starting to see why you think filtering is dangerous Jesus
If you wanna get into that again...

I think filtering is dangerous because every road cop and riding instructor tells us this, every statistical report supports this and my own experiences so far concur.
Doesn't stop me doing it.

Certainly it's far more dangerous to filter than to sit stationary in the middle of your lane in stopped traffic, worrying about whether you're going to be rear-ended!

Soldato
Task, buy a car... :p
Who's gonna pay for it?

Task must be more ripped than Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson carrying all this gear haha :p
I'm... 'comfortably acclimatised'. ;)

To be fair I was at the front of the queue when it happened :p
And yet, if filtering was the answer to avoiding the statistically VERY low chance of being rear-ended, why aren't all the riding schools teaching it?

Back
Top Bottom