New rider do's and dont's

Associate
It's the total cost that kills it.
Rack - £107
Mounting Plate - £42
Fixings Set - £23
Top Box - £240

Even second hand, they're over £350.

That seems a bit too expensive, although parts may be more expensive for your bike.

From what I've seen either the rear rack comes with the mounting plate and fixings or the top box does for many bikes.

You shouldn't need to spend more than £200 on a top box. A new Givi V47 can be had for £170 and Givi are pretty much the top end of the market. You can get a Shad top box and fittings for £133 and second hand Givi for much less.

Exactly - That's why it's pointless for me. No point in having large luggage capacity if I then have to empty it all out before I can lug it further than wherever I've parked.

I'm confused I'm not sure that makes sense. It's like saying a boot is useless if you can't take the boot with you or am I missing something. For me I just don't want to be carrying anything on my back should I get into an accident.

Caporegime
Not far off. The Infantry Bergen is 165L.

i find most hiking backpacks tend to sit a bit low on the ass for riding, or do you just let it res ton the pillion seat and let that take the weight and really tighten up the shoulder straps to stop it being lose as its lifted by the seat?

Caporegime
You shouldn't need to spend more than £200 on a top box. A new Givi V47 can be had for £170 and Givi are pretty much the top end of the market. You can get a Shad top box and fittings for £133 and second hand Givi for much less.

Kappa stuff is basicaly givi under a differnt name and a fair whack cheaper too. easpecialy if you dont mind waiting for shipping from italy when they do some stock clearance on older stuff.

Associate
Kappa stuff is basicaly givi under a differnt name and a fair whack cheaper too. easpecialy if you dont mind waiting for shipping from italy when they do some stock clearance on older stuff.

I used to think that but having a look around their monokey stuff doesn't seem that much cheaper but Givi design does look better imho.

Shad is definitely cheaper and Coocase used to be really cheap for big top boxes but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Soldato
That seems a bit too expensive, although parts may be more expensive for your bike.
It's an old bike, so yeah some things are pricey.
But it's a moot point, because they'd all need an indicator bracket that can bear weight, which mine cannot.

From what I've seen either the rear rack comes with the mounting plate and fixings or the top box does for many bikes.
A few bikes require one type of rack, with a different plate and then another top box, rather than a set mounting system. It was a Mix & Match solution to cover additional bikes, rather than making a set specificially for those few. Mine seems to be one of those.

I'm confused I'm not sure that makes sense. It's like saying a boot is useless if you can't take the boot with you or am I missing something.
The point is that I do need something I can take with me. Backpack, detatchable topbox, something like that. Often parking is quite far from where I need to take the luggage.

For me I just don't want to be carrying anything on my back should I get into an accident.
When loaded, the pack usually gets strapped to the back, so not a problem.

i find most hiking backpacks tend to sit a bit low on the ass for riding, or do you just let it res ton the pillion seat and let that take the weight and really tighten up the shoulder straps to stop it being lose as its lifted by the seat?
Military packs, especially infantry kit, tend to sit above the waist to accomodate webbing pouches.
Previous packs did sit quite nicely on the pillion pad, but you don't want the straps too tight as you need the shoulder movement for countersteering, especially on Cruisers and the like. Using the waist belt can help, but if you have that much weight/bulk, lash it to the tiedowns instead and enjoy the backrest!

Soldato
OP
Went on the back of a friends ZX12R (is that right? ZXR1200?) Either way... Good lordy the speed. All on private tarmac of course. The speed that thing red lines 2nd in and then that savage power tries to spit you off again into 3rd... Oh my!

Edit; quick Google, it's a ZX12R

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can't imagine physics would allow anything to be much faster... I mean yeah it's not a nippy little sports bike per se but between corners it's an absolute missile.

It's made me realise why people recommend not to get a litre bike straight off... You can lose your license in 1st gear for christ sake!

Soldato
OP
So why are these big heavy bikes? Did they put the busa/zx12r/zzr14 engines into smaller bikes? Are they all 'sports tourers' as the ZX12r apparently is? Surely in a dick dance to make the fastest bike they'd focus on making it as light and as basic as possible?

Back
Top Bottom