Leviathan - X99, SLI 980ti's and watercooling!

Associate
OP
Hey guys and it is update time yet again! This is update four of the build log!

This update is focusing on the CPU/ RAM and the watercooling associated with the CPU/ RAM!

Here is the EK Supremacy EVO that is going to be used in the build! It was used in my last build and it did a great job in that!

EK Supremecy Evo by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Hello guys!

Hello! by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Not the cleanest it has been but it was as clean as I could get it after 4 cleans with Isoproplyn... Again, this has been used before and would be the reason it isn't a complete mirror.

EK Supremecy EVO by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Now its the RAM's time to shine!

I bought a 32gb (4x 8gb) DDR4 set for the system! It is a 2400mhz kit but I intend to overclock this to at least 3000mhz! I had the choice between the value RAM or paying a little more for the Ripjaw branded ones. I went for these as the heat spreaders were going to be coming off anyways...

G.Skill 32gb DDR4 by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

I am glad that they chose to have the PCB black! It makes it a lot easier to hide under the EK heat spreaders unlike previous RAM I used which was blue...

G.Skill 32gb DDR4 by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

I gave the system a boot with the RAM in before putting the heat spreaders on to make sure that they werent bricked on arrival or that I had bricked them while putting the EK heat spreaders on...

I just love the aesthetics of RAM with the monarch kit attached! It just looks amazing compared to all this super aggressive looking RAM. I love a minimalist style and this fully ticks the box for me!

EK Monarch by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

A little look at the outer packaging of the Monarch RAM waterblocks!

Here are the RAM waterblocks for the system! These things again tick the box for looking so sick!

One of these came from my last build but I have also got a new one!

Here is the RAM installed into the motherboard! It looks so amazing! I am loving it!

5930k + Asus Sabertooth X99 by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

I did a little research and found that the best method for applying thermal paste for 2011 CPU's is to use the X shape on the processor. It allows the thermal paste to be spread out evenly and not have any air bubbles within it...

X marks the spot by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

The CPU waterblock has landed! I have installed it up side down because I am going to have the CPU/ RAM pointing one way as you will usually view it from the left side and will look the right way up.

The block has landed! by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

I had to look at this picture/ computer multipe times after installing the blocks onto the RAM as it just didnt look straight! I had the spirit level out many times and I can confirm that they are straight and it is just the lens distortion causing the bend!

RAM, CPU and Motherboard by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Here is another angle for the RAM and CPU blocks! I am so happy with how this is looking! I cant wait to be putting the fittings/ tubing in place to make this look awesome!

RAM, CPU and Motherboard by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Finally here is a look at the fittings I will be using. These are the 16mm Barrows fittings. These things look great!

Realistically these are just copies of bitspower multi link advance fittings. However these don't cost an arm and a leg!

16mm Barrow fittings by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

16mm Barrow fittings by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Thanks guys for checking out this fourth update of my build log! There is loads more stuff coming so make sure you subscribed to the thread but also make sure you drop a comment in! Its always nice to talk to you guys! I am always open to ideas!

Thanks again guys!

TPK Awwwwaaayyyyy

Last edited:
Associate
That mobo looks so nice, especially now you got ram & blocks on it. Great build log so far man.

Slightly off topic, is that some kinda special photography sheet you're using under the components?

Associate
OP
That mobo looks so nice, especially now you got ram & blocks on it. Great build log so far man.

Slightly off topic, is that some kinda special photography sheet you're using under the components?

Thanks man! I do love the ASUS Sabertooth Motherboard range!

Nope, it is a A1 piece of black mount board, same with the backdrop (I got it from my local art store)... I need to get some more as I have got thermal paste on it.

Associate
i dont know if you have used barrow before but be careful Ive had some of the 90`s and straight fittings and they were good but i used two 30 degree ones (i think thats what they are)on my cpu waterblock and lets just say waterfall!

hope it goes well looking good so far

Associate
Thanks man! I do love the ASUS Sabertooth Motherboard range!

Nope, it is a A1 piece of black mount board, same with the backdrop (I got it from my local art store)... I need to get some more as I have got thermal paste on it.

Well it looks very professional mate, I'll be looking out for some ahead of my planned build. Keep up the great work and more pics please!! ;)

Associate
I have the same motherboard for my warships project, I think its a stunning piece of kit and the design is just perfect atheistically for me.
Really enjoyed viewing your progress and photos.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys and here is update number five!

First of all, I would like to apologies with the amount of time it has taken to get these images together! There has been lots of problems and things taking up my time! First off I had to take some time off for the project to be the head of press at the Weyfest music festival! That was a long but really fun weekend! Got to meet some amazing artists and take some "good" photos of them! Then a few days after that I flew off to my holiday in Spain! I am now back in the UK and have also got some good and bad news...

It is best to start with the bad news, while I was away I had to send off my compact flash card which held some of the Weyfest photos and a fair few of the build log images. Unfortunately the card is dead and it has taken some of the photos with it. I sent it off to be recovered and they managed to save some stuff but not all of it. I am now missing all the tube bending images, so I am going to try and take some photos to fill the gap! Now for the good news! My Linksys 1900AC ( A pile of crap router) finally conked out on me. I had to send it back to Linksys to be RMA'd. They checked it and there was a technical fault. They have now sent me out a new one, hopefully the V2 of the router! which will be here shortly!

Here is a quick image I put together of one of my photos from Weyfest and a photo from my holiday!

Holiday Image by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

But now back to PC time!

Here is some photos which were recovered from the CF card of the PC in my garden with the radiators installed! I have got a Alphacool NexXxos Monsta 240mm and 360mm. These were taken from my previous build as they are simply brilliant radiators! They fill the space at the front of the case beautifully and they are solid!

Caselabs Mercury S8 by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

In the basement I am using the trust AF120 fans from Corsair! These are great case fans and this one in the basement is to help cool the SSD (Not that it needs cooling) and the HDD.

I must have had the PC outside for like two minutes before little bugs started to land on the case! He must just be a fan of my work. Or just a fan of Caselabs cases!

Here is a shot of the two radiators in place! These things are huge, but perfectly sized for this type of case! You will also notice the hole in the case, this is going to be drilled out using the new £35 drill piece I had to buy to be able to extend the size to fit the EK-AF pass through fittings. Who said watercooling was cheap!

Here is one of the drain ports at the bottom of the radiator. The drain ports are placed here because it hides them the best. I am not a fan of showing off drainage systems as they usually look fairly ugly!

Everything has fan filters on it! Love the aesthetics these give! The ones internally are black and the external ones are chrome! I am a sucker for black and chrome!

Here is a shot of the other drainage system within the system. This is directly bellow the 240mm radiator and fits through a small hole in the case. Also here are the braided front panel connectors. I braided them myself in the last build! It took a long time for me to get them exactly how I wanted them, multiple attempts for something that never gets seen!

At the front of the case protecting the rest of the system from dust is all the Silverstone magnetic dust filters! I have the system in a heavy postive airflow system (5 blowing in and 2 blowing out). This means that I need dust filters or the system will get seriously furry quick! The only problem with these is that the ones of the 360mm radiator are really difficult to clean as the front of the case there isnt removeable... It means it need a vacuum and a paint brush to clean them.

The only problem I have with the fans I am using is that I cannot directly mount the fan filters to the fans. The issue is that the blades actually stick out a couple of MM's and because of this, they will rub and not spin because of the filters. so... I have had to take some rubber washers to space them out. This also hopefully helps with reducing the noise of them. I am using Phobia E-loops on a 7v fan speed reducer. These are amazing fans and I highly recommend them as watercooling fans!

Rubber washer by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Some of the smaller details of the caselabs case! The hex mesh looks on point and everything is made to be solid!

Behind the AF120 fans I am using rubber silencing material to help reduce the noise these give off. I have always found the AF120's to be quite noise fans and these do help with the noise output of them. The main reason that I use them is because of the fan rings. I love matching the colour with the coolant!

Rubber sound dampening by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Here is a macro shot of the fan grill and the fins of the 240mm radiator!

Fan grill by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

And finally a little bit of the EK branding coming through on their reservoir mount! It holds the res very tightly in place, otherwise I would probably of had wet parts in my last build...

EK Res mount by Mathew Teague, on Flickr

Thanks again for checking the build log out! There is plenty more content to come! I have got tube bending, case drilling and part fitting still to come! And there may even be some cable braiding to come!

If you haven't already, please sub to the thread to receive updates on the thread so you can be the first to see kill the parts in my system! (Hopefully that wont happen!)

Associate
The photo skills on here never cease to amaze me, I'm not usually a fan of the filters but the seeing them black on the inside and chrome on the exterior does look good. Also the radiators look very beefy :)
Looking forward to the next update to see more excellent work :D

Back
Top Bottom