Buying a second hand iPhone 6 on gumtree

Soldato
Soldato
As above, make sure he removes his ICloud activation, TouchID and his passcode and FindMyIphone as any of these will stop you activating it once you have it.

Also checkmend to make sure it isn't reported as stolen or blacklisted.

One more thing, make sure you put your simcard in and make a call, text and to activate it on your Apple ID before you leave, as to make sure it isn't blocked.

Soldato
As above, make sure he removes his ICloud activation, TouchID and his passcode and FindMyIphone as any of these will stop you activating it once you have it.

Also checkmend to make sure it isn't reported as stolen or blacklisted.

One more thing, make sure you put your simcard in and make a call, text and to activate it on your Apple ID before you leave, as to make sure it isn't blocked.

More than that, physically reset the phone yourself, noting the IMEI before and after the factory reset. AFAIK the Imei can't be changed permanently. And if it has been changed then it is a criminal offence.

Also make sure you write out a receipt and get it signed. They could after selling it to you, claim they lost it or had it stolen to the insurance company, they get a new phone, plus your money, the phone gets blacklisted and you become very angry. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. I'd probably do a secret audio recording and take a stocky friend, but then again I'm paranoid.

Last edited:

box

box

Associate
Doesn't sound worth the potential hassle. iPhone 6S will be here in a week. Why don't you pick one up then on MM when they will be going like hot cakes.

Soldato
Don't do it. I bought a cellophane wrapped 5s from gumtree, guy said it was an unwanted upgrade. I literally opened the cling film myself and it was locked 2 weeks later as it was reported stolen by the carrier. Police involved and guess what? I lost my money and the phone. I couldn't even prove I'd bought it off him in the end....

Permabanned
Don't do it. I bought a cellophane wrapped 5s from gumtree, guy said it was an unwanted upgrade. I literally opened the cling film myself and it was locked 2 weeks later as it was reported stolen by the carrier. Police involved and guess what? I lost my money and the phone. I couldn't even prove I'd bought it off him in the end....

yeah phones and gumtree = no!

he probably reported it as never arriving, got a new phone and pocketed your cash.

Soldato
If you want too save I rather just get a refurb unit from smartphone store then trust someone of gumtree. The only time I would maybe buy it from Gumtree is if it is Sim locked and brought directly from Apple and they have proof as they won't be able to lock it by reporting it stolen (I believe this is true).

Back
Top Bottom