** SAMSUNG M.2 PCI-E Super-Fast AHCI & NVME SSD's IN STOCK (ELITE TIER SSD's)!! **

OcUK Staff
OP
Would the SM951 run at full speed on a MSI Z97 Max AC? Getting confused with some of the info on my motherboard spec sheet.

It does say supports up to 10GB/s but just checking encase they mean Gb/s.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but full speed is 32GB/s I think?

So it would work but at 1/3rd of advertised speed. You need a PCI-Adapter or an upgrade to Z170 / X99 platform.

Associate
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but full speed is 32GB/s I think?

So it would work but at 1/3rd of advertised speed. You need a PCI-Adapter or an upgrade to Z170 / X99 platform.

Each PCI-e 3.0 lane is 8Gb/s so yeah, 32Gb/s is full speed.

When Gigabyte X99 boards (for instance) advertises 10Gb/s it's because they're running PCI-e 2.0 x4, not 3.0. A tad misleading when they say they offer "M.2 x4" speeds in my opinion.

Associate
Yep - Gibbo mentioned it earlier on in this thread:

We looked at the Lycom DT-120 which seemed a great solution but the factory inform us it is not bootable with Samsung SM951 series, so we cancelled our order.

Do you know of a tried and tested bootable PCI-E card for the M.2 PCI-E SSD's such as SM951?

Obviously the one which Plextor use works but they do not sell it separately.

I've seen people selling off their Asus Hyper adapters which they don't use to try and coup some cost back from the X99 motherboards

Can 100% confirm the SM951 boots in a Asus Hyper adapter on my Z97 board. Just abit pricey and seem abit harder to find but they are black which fits builds a lot better than the green ones.

Associate
These are much cheaper than I expected, will probably look at getting the 256gb the next time I do a full upgrade.

Soldato
There is a review on the rainforest saying that they are using an SM951 on a DT-120 that is bootable into windows 10. Would bootability depend more on the motherboard?

dd08dad5ae58e750546afe12a8c297e8.png

My BIOS had an update to fix issues with Samsung m.2 drives.

eb4e4ab4811283a14d38e2af9b003b42.png

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the difference between the AHCI and the NVMe versions? All these different terms are confusing the hell out of me. Scared that i'll end up buying a PCI-E adapter/ SSD that are incompatible.

Last edited:
Associate
AHCI is an older technology meant for spinning media, NVMe is designed specifically for SSD storage.

NVMe is slightly faster if I recall, but you can't go wrong with either. - NVMe is more likely to cause you less issues (if any) from what I have read too.

Back
Top Bottom