• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Advice for this combo

Soldato
For £600 I'd get this:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (C98TP-1SDN-N5HNX) £569.99
Total : £579.59 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Quiet, clocks well, keeps cool. You'll need a 120mm fan mount somewhere in your case for it though.
Avoid Inno3d their RMA after 28 days is based outside UK as per this thread here only buy these brands or wait up to 28 days for after 28 days RMAs:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28578976&postcount=2
KFA2
Zotac
EVGA
Gigabyte
MSI
PNY

Soldato
WoW thank you for that info

Interesting, thanks for the link

These are the same people saying that the FuryX is better for DX12 because of async compute...

This is how that is working put so far;
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18690671

We're still 5 months away from knowing what's going to be best for VR, so if VR is your number one concern you are best off not buying now and buying when the reviews are out... For right now the 980ti is clearly miles ahead of where the FuryX is, even with async compute thrown in to the mix

Last edited:
Associate
Avoid Inno3d their RMA after 28 days is based outside UK as per this thread here only buy these brands or wait up to 28 days for after 28 days RMAs:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=28578976&postcount=2
KFA2
Zotac
EVGA
Gigabyte
MSI
PNY

Last time I had to RMA a graphics card, I sent it out on monday, received the replacement card on wednesday. Around here, the retailers don't make the customer wait for the manufacturer to process the RMA, instead the retailers give replacements straight from the shelf as soon as the faulty product has been inspected and deemed, indeed, faulty.

Never had to consider the locations of the various manufacturers' service facilities when purchasing a card. :)

Associate
With OcUK that's the case within 28 days, afterwards it has to be sent off to the manufacturer.

I wasn't aware the Inno3D warranty was in Asia, but I have heard nothing but praise for the card which is why I suggested it.

Soldato
You should quit whilst behind.

Lol at the damage control from the usual Nvidia followers. I didn't write the article or tell the Occulus guys what to say. Just making the OP aware of the potential issues since he wants a card for VR, especially Occulus VR.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
Lol at the damage control from the usual Nvidia followers. I didn't write the article or tell the Occulus guys what to say. Just making the OP aware of the potential issues since he wants a card for VR, especially Occulus VR.

No but you are spreading ridiculous info, in turn giving the guy bad information.

Associate
If i was me i would get the KFA2 GeForce GTX 980Ti Hall of Fame model, al be it its white so might not go actually, meh that or the MSI is a good choice

Associate
I've also got the Corsair Air 540 case, with your budget get the Inno3D 980ti Hybrid and put the radiator on the rear fan mount. Got a Hybrid cooler on my card and it topped out at 48 degrees in Mad Max last night :D

In regards to Inno3D's RMA, I had to send my card back to Evga in Germany, it cost me £43 to fully insure it and I got back a "recertified" card in a plain box that wasn't the overclocked model I had originally. Process only took a week though...

All companies can let the customer down, don't worry about what might happen buy the best card you can and enjoy :)

Soldato

So anyone who disagrees with what you post is a Nvidia follower.:rolleyes:

Maybe if you didn't post bias crap, people wouldn't pull you up.

Soldato
Mariusz said:
In regards to Inno3D's RMA, I had to send my card back to Evga in Germany, it cost me £43 to fully insure it and I got back a "recertified" card in a plain box that wasn't the overclocked model I had originally. Process only took a week though...
Seems abit expensive; I just did a quick random quote with parcel monkey via DPD pickup classic, it came out at £13.43 + £9.99 for £600 insurance cover.

Permabanned
That's a huge budget for 1080p (IMO). I'd rather get something cheaper, like say a GTX 970, and save up for a new monitor.

That means probably needing to buy another card later on if he's upping the res later.
I'd go for a top end gpu now such as a 980ti or a Fury X if you prefer AMD and save for a monitor later on, That's how I've done it, Regardless of what gpu you get it will still be pushed at 1080p even if you only have a 60hz monitor. So it's not wasted performance it just means you get to use more eye candy.

A 390 8GB and a 2560 res 144Hz Freesync monitor can be had for under £600 :p

That's a good option, Another thing to note is G-sync has quite a big premium over free-sync.

I went with a Fury Tri-x and plan on getting a free-sync monitor and they seem to often be around 150 quid cheaper than the G-sync equivalent. Check out the 34" 21:9 monitors, I think that's where gaming really shines.

Last edited:
Soldato
The next gen of cards are all claiming an amazing jump in performance, would be better waiting for them if wanting VR. The Fury x2 should be the most powerful card released this year (or any) but I expect the price of that to be insane and possibly still not great for VR. May be better to just get yourself something cheapish, say a 380/390 now if you need a card for some gaming and upgrade again next gen. HBM is supposingly big for VR and both AMD and Nvidia should be offering it next year and in 8gb flavours or more. The 4gb HBM the furies have now may act like 8gb or more of GDDR5 but no idea if that's enough for VR, probably worth investigating.

Back
Top Bottom