** DRONES: WHO HAS ONE, WHO WANTS ONE?

Associate
I build and fly the 250 size FPV models, wicked fun, and a whole lot more customisable than the pre built, way over priced DJi products.

The one thing I hate though is the word " DRONE " because of all the bad press about drone this and drone that, and yes I understand that with certain flight controllers they can have GPS, and can basically fly themselves so in that instance they're drones, but in most peoples eyes, there is no difference between a £150 hobby grade quadcopter/multirotor, and a £17 million killing machine.

Associate
Are drones noisy? Can't say I've ever seen one in the air but I'd only look if I heard it I guess?

They can be yes, I had mine down the beach once and it was driving a dog absolutely bonkers, I put this purely down to the noise. I had to get my brother to catch my quad to land it as the dog wanted to eat it, as soon as the rotors stopped turning the dog calmed down and went away.

Associate
south-park-s18e05c11-drone-riots_16x9.jpg

Associate
When I used to fly RC planes and helicopters we used to only be permitted to fly on private property and even then club membership + insurance was required, are you allowed to fly drones in public spaces?

Associate
Gibbo, nice idea but i would avoid, I am a member of the bmfa and have qualifications in model aircraft flying, since this drone "craze" the CAA and bmfa have put huge constrictions on flying them i.e max height 400ft (so no dreams of cloud flying or ufo hunting), not near public place,if using fpv a mate has to have a master control to take over at any point. otherwise your liable for lot of lot of damage etc, and dji "fantastic" gps go home system tend to send them somewhere else and loses your £800 bucks along with your go pro camera. i would stick with cheap drones with hd cameras for the fun element. i.e 2-400 pounds.

I have seen no end of lost adverts which go as follows, " reward £100 lost model drone DJI make with go pro camera, was meant to return home but will be somewhere in the nottingham area. what tends to happen is some one who finds it , checks ebay and sell it.

you would also have to educate the buyers on li-poly battery and very real fire hazards ( i.e petrol in your living room type level) ,this only learnt as part of being in a club and having years of experience with electric r/c aircraft, i introduced electric aircraft to most my clubs when they were still fixeated on glow engines and glow was best.

sorry to be the bearer of doom and gloom , however you probably would gain more negative press than positive on this venture.

i would however reccommend the cheap quads with hd camera ,bubble gun,water gun, evac attachments, therre gggrrreat. and only £50

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom