Magic the Gathering (MtG)

Associate
Went along to my first casual Monday tonight. Good fun! Won one, lost one and met some new people. Definitely back next week, hopefully for longer than a couple of hours. Everyone also seemed to have not only several decks but folders full of swaps! Only problem is i don't have a standard legal deck and they rotate in two weeks with BFZ so, might need to build one as I'd get more games.

Associate
Oh jesus... I am going to have to get a fatpack then.

HA! Yes, I've come to the same conclusion. One of the main websites is offering a fat pack + booster box deal for £99.95, cheaper than buying them separately from any of the other main online shops and certainly (sadly) the high street.

Associate
The full art lands will probably drop in value over time with the massive influx onto the market. I was going to get a fat pack for the lands but I have plenty, would be paying a lot for aesthetics! Going to the pre - release event next week though.

I was meant to be playing in FNM with my weird manifest morph mill deck but missed out. Ended up playing my friend for boosters against his Dragon control deck and won. I pulled my second Hangerback :)

Associate
Would be interested to see the deck list. I'm off to casual Monday's again later, taking two decks. Neither of which are really played and could go very wrong. I'm hoping my W/G/U twisted version of soul sisters comes together!

I also have the original Zendikar basic lands so know what you mean about simply paying for aesthetics but, they look so good!

Soldato
Messaged my local shop and they seem open to the idea of me ordering a couple of prerelease packs for Zendikar but not opening them in store, the plan was to play in store with my wife but we don't have anyone to babysit for the kids and although the youngest loves playing snap with the spare land cards and the eldest is currently obsessed with cardfight vanguard! I don't think they would enjoy a few hours in the store.

Going to pop in and book a couple of slots and preorder a fat pack while I'm there.

Still plan to buy a booster box but that will be online.

Soldato
Messaged my local shop and they seem open to the idea of me ordering a couple of prerelease packs for Zendikar but not opening them in store, the plan was to play in store with my wife but we don't have anyone to babysit for the kids and although the youngest loves playing snap with the spare land cards and the eldest is currently obsessed with cardfight vanguard! I don't think they would enjoy a few hours in the store.

Going to pop in and book a couple of slots and preorder a fat pack while I'm there.

Still plan to buy a booster box but that will be online.

Are you talking about attending a pre-release event? If so, if you can't take the time to play but want the pre-release cards you should be able to register for the event then drop before the first round.

Soldato
Are you talking about attending a pre-release event? If so, if you can't take the time to play but want the pre-release cards you should be able to register for the event then drop before the first round.

yeah, i asked them and they stated they cant sell the prerelease boxes without attending the event but if i attended they cant force you to play after buying them.

Ideally i am planning to play a game or 2 but as we dont have babysitters I would be by myself and my only experiences so far is playing against my wife and AI on the tablet app so I would prefer to play atleast one game of the prerelease stuff against her as she is loving it too.

Associate
Would be interested to see the deck list. I'm off to casual Monday's again later, taking two decks. Neither of which are really played and could go very wrong. I'm hoping my W/G/U twisted version of soul sisters comes together!

I also have the original Zendikar basic lands so know what you mean about simply paying for aesthetics but, they look so good!

Mainboard (26)

Creature (15)
2 Ainok Survivalist
2 Dragon's Eye Savants
2 Guardian Shield-Bearer
2 Hangarback Walker
3 Icefeather Aven
3 Sigiled Starfish
1 Thousand Winds

Sorcery (3)
1 Shamanic Revelation
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Wildcall

Instant (6)
2 Anticipate
2 Disperse
2 Reclaim

Enchantment (10)
1 Cloudform
2 Mastery of the Unseen
1 Monastery Siege
2 Secret Plans
4 Sphinx's Tutelage

Artifact (2)
2 Altar of the Brood

Land (8)
3 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
2 Foundry of the Consuls
9 Island
1 Mage-Ring Network
2 Plains
2 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
2 Yavimaya Coast

Sideboard (5)
1 Animist's Awakening
2 Palace Familiar
1 Thopter Spy Network
1 Treasure Cruise

Basically, I'd picked up a load of rare cards that I wasn't using and made a deck from them. Milling revolves around playing out Sphinx's Tutelage and drawing from Secret Plans, draw spells and Monastery Siege. Alter of the Brood was a cheap rare I picked up to help that along whenever I put anything on the field. The creatures are mostly there to stall, be flipped or generate permanents for Altar of the Brood. I have a fun combo whereby Hangarback Walker can be put to the top of the deck with Reclaim and then manifested by Wildcall. It can be flipped anytime for free :)

How did you do last night?

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting! I've never done a mill deck myself but I'm going to pick through your deck and see what i can learn, always good to know what you could be up against. Thanks for posting!

Annoyingly, I lost all 4 games last night. I played two incredibly fast elf decks, one 8 rack and a junk deck full of deathtouch.

Basically, my combo deck is too slow. It relies on a 3 card combo to work but I think there is space to work some removal in, get the right counters and some low cost impact creatures. The mana base might be a little slow also, so that can be improved. If it works, it'll work but so far I've not been able to have all 3 on the field at once.

Associate
I think my deck least might be a bit wrong as I have only one Mastery of the Unseen! Will figure out what is missing... Most of the mill decks will involve ST at the moment, so will probably have a load of drawing. Mine will be slower and less competitive but more fun for all hopefully.

What is the Soul Sisters deck? Have you got your decklist?

Permabanned
Has anyone heard of a program called "cockatrice"? It's basically an online card game simulator that has MTG built into it along with every card that ever existed.

Anyone fancy a game? :D

Associate
What is the Soul Sisters deck? Have you got your decklist?

Soul sisters is a life gain deck named so because it contains Soul Warden and Soul Attendant, a good run down of it can be found here.

The deck I'm trying to make work uses a combo of Archangel of Thune, Horizon Chimera and Fathom Mage to loop card draw, life gain and creature buffing. There are versions of the deck that run Spike Feeder and Sage of hours to throw infinite life and turns into the mix but, I'm not doing that as it's hard to throw together and keep track of!

The rest of the deck is counter spells, birds of paradise etc..and some board removal but, i've been finding it too slow so added a staple of the Soul Sisters deck Ajani's Pridemate as a two drop that will grow huge, fast. Have scope to add in another two/three drop and refine the counter spells, maybe looking for some removal. The mana base needs looking at also, too slow again.

Soldato
placed booked on a slot for the prerelease on saturday, going to make it a very long shift :(

also preordered a fat pack and a few sleeves and deck boxes for the new decks that will be built. plan is to get an extra 3 boosters to go with the fat pack to have 6 each with the wife.

next step is the boardgame to go along with our growing analog gaming collection

Associate
Man, it's almost booster time again! Almost forgot! Was only gonna get 1 booster box, but might as well get 3. by the time I take the cards I want, I should have enough to make my money back from selling. Might go for a whole new deck!

noj

noj

Associate
all sold up now and that's the end of MTG for me.

It was a bit sad boxing up all the cards and sending them off but the reality was they'd sat in cupboards for about 5 years and I'd not really thought about them.

27kgs of cards....now going to pay for a very nice holiday somewhere sunny for the wife and I next year plus a new Ipad for me.

Keep em in sleeves is my advice :D

Associate
all sold up now and that's the end of MTG for me.

Was this all on the bay? I'd have liked to have seen a link or a list! Well done though, going anywhere nice? Given my experience, you'll get the urge to pick it up again in a few years!

noj

noj

Associate
Was this all on the bay? I'd have liked to have seen a link or a list! Well done though, going anywhere nice? Given my experience, you'll get the urge to pick it up again in a few years!

no, i didnt ebay it, in the end i sent the whole lot up to magic madhouse as a collection. They valued it all, agreed a price with me and job done. I tried listing them all but couldnt be bothered going through every card...there were 1000's. Maybe i missed out on some value but I got a price I was happy with so all good

Yes.....we're currently looking at Maldives :)

No, i honeslty think thats me done with MTG. I'd not played in about 4 years and whilst it was a bit sad looking through and boxing them up I've not missed playing.

Back
Top Bottom