***** Official 2015 BBQ Thread - Sun is out, time to broil!! *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How would that work with a rotisserie setup? Wouldnt the probe not read wrong from the heat in the skewer? Great idea but I do all of my meats on the spinner so not sure it would work.

Associate
Here are some pictures of yesterday's brisket. It was the first time I've tried smoking a brisket, and generally it went well. I kept the rub simple and only used salt & pepper. I used the minion method on my Weber kettle, which provided 10 hours of heat without the need to top up the coals.

The meat was smoked over hickory chunks for the first 3 hours and then after 5 hours I wrapped it tightly in baking parchment.

After another 5 hours I removed it and allowed to rest for 1 hour before serving.

Overall it was pretty good, maybe marginally overcooked as it wasn't as moist as I'd hoped, but it was by no means dry.

Sorry for the dodgy phone pics...

Man of Honour
Sorry, I didn't see your question :( I'm glad it turned out okay though.

I've had a 2.5kg bit of chuck from Littlewoods in Heaton Chapel marinading/salting for a week. I just stuck on a rub of chipotle, pepper, coriander, rosemary, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and a little salt/sugar. It's now in the smoker and will be good to go for lunch tomorrow....I hope :p

Man of Honour
I forgot to get pictures sorry but the hunk of chuck turned out pretty well. 4 hours smoked before being finished in the oven for another 12 or so at 100C. After that I wrapped and left it for another hour or two to rest. As I suspected, the top part (more fat and connective tissue) was pretty much perfect whereas the leaner part was a little on the dry side. Possibly not something most would notice but I'm a bit anal about this sort of thing :p

Quite a nice meal anyhow. It ended up being essentially carne asada with a pilaf to accompany.

Big brisket to go on tomorrow. Looking at 8+ hours on the Cobb with some oak chunks:)

Only 8 hours? Are you sure it'll be done so quickly? :)

Associate
Lidl now sell rolled shoulder of lamb, grilled one last night with a Moroccan rub and it was absolutely marvellous. I will definitely be repeating this.
syLormJ.jpg

Man of Honour
A good few hours on the smoker. Now to finish in the oven overnight. Tomorrow at about 12:00 I'll wrap it and reduce the heat from ~100C to whatever residual heat there is. At about 18:00 we'll eat :)

I'll get another pic before crutching tomorrow.

(I'd hoped for a deeper smoke but I hat an annoying flame-out :( Also, ignore the random bit of extra meat on the top left. That is essentially all rib meat that was also included by the butcher. It may get taken off early and devoured :p It's about 700g for size/weight reference.

umyMoRw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom