Acer XB270HU - Worlds First IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gsync

Associate
What an amazing slow-motion train wreck this has become. It seems that a key part of Acer's business strategy is to work hard on creating a poor reputation with customers. Its innovative genius.

My Hazro HZ27WC, purchased back in December 2011 for £329.99, came with only 1 stuck pixel, which I cant actually find any more, no bleed and no glow, and its still like that. But now you can get so much more! For only a few hundred pounds extra you can buy pure misery :D Yes, things have really moved on in the last few years, haven't they?

Soldato
When a company needs to go to an armpit site called "Public Relations Web" to sell £800 monitors, you know it's not going to end well.

This had disaster written all over it from the start. The "first IPS screen with Gsync" when it's not IPS just screamed hype train.

Soldato
Just when you think it cant get any worse. Someone here at work just bought this monitor (not from OCUK) and yesterday he was grinning from ear to ear and I told him to check the monitor as soon as it arrives and explained the horror stories but he didnt believe me. They leave today too its his final day at work. Not sure whether he bought it as a present to himself. Anyway we've just opened it. The box looked brand new but when we took the monitor out you could tell it wasn't brand new. The instruction manual etc wasn't in a bag it was just floating round. There were no tie wraps on the cables and the plastic covering etc on. Took the monitor out and the screen had finger prints all over it. Connected and fired it up and the screen flashes corrupt/different colours on the right and there are lines on the display. Worst of all there is a letter inside from what looks like the original owner complaining about the problems with the monitor !!! Not sure who its addressed to as it just says Dear Sir but the persons address is in Slough!
From the outside of the box it looked brand new.

Just gone back to see if I could take some pictures to show on here but hes gone now.

Blimey.

Associate
Brother bought one of these, battered box inside and out and half screen green. Why are OC sending these duds out?

Sounds like my one...:mad:

It's very odd. Not sure if its a Acer or OC problem but as to why you would re-send faulty equipment out I've no idea? It doesnt make any sense!

Problems with the batch/returns system they have?

I could understand if it was faulty out of a brand new sealed box those things can happen but I cannot understand why they would re-seal and send it out again to someones else??!!

Associate
RMA is confirmed and a new one is going to be dispatched by OCuk as soon as stock is available...I just hope its the actual proper brand new stock!

Never had this before buying any components or monitors.

Same, it had all the badges stuck on etc but you could tell the box/foam was worn or tatty. I assume the retailer tests it says its broken and sends it back to Acer who then surely must test/fix/replace the stock? In these cases it seems they just re-box it and send it out in the same state.

MP7

MP7

Associate
Hello everyone!

Just got mine yesterday and decided to test it today.
My new build is on standby because of some things, and since the 780ti has a water block on it and everything is already tubed together I'm too lazy to demount everything and put its standard air cooler so I cna put it in my current computer.

In my current computer I have an old 5850 and since I'm having some problems with the screen I was wondering could it be because of the GPU?
The GPU is fine, that's for sure, I'm thinking is it strong enough or something?
Please check the picture below, it's not like that all the time.

Associate
Can someone tell me why ocuk stopped selling fractal cases awhile ago but acer seems to be getting a free pass to release rubbish onto the market ???

Soldato
Thing is even if you get a decent one of these how long do you think it is going to last? I don't think they are going to have much longevity and just hope the next 165hz Swift is decent.

Associate
Its certainly damaged consumer confidence. I really want to find an Etailor that provides an impartial checking / testing service prior to shipping now. Maybe something similar to 8Pack's speed binned CPU's, but for basic monitor QC. I'd happily pay a small premium to avoid the currently perceived panel lottery. Just having to think along these lines is depressing though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its certainly damaged consumer confidence. I really want to find an Etailor that provides an impartial checking / testing service prior to shipping now. Maybe something similar to 8Pack's speed binned CPU's, but for basic monitor QC. I'd happily pay a small premium to avoid the currently perceived panel lottery. Just having to think along these lines is depressing though.

There is an etailer near me that does Monitor checking for dead/stuck pixels and defects and also offers 7 day enhanced warranty. Price not bad either cant mention it on here.

Soldato
Didn't see this thread before I bought mine the other day. So far though, all seems to be fine. No stuck pixels, a bit of backlight bleed near the power LED, but nothing I could notice when sitting in my room with my normal lighting, only noticeable if all my lights are off.

Seems like I may be one of the lucky ones...

Edit:
Just to add, mine is a March one, but has 120Hz ULMB option available. which is a bit confusing reading the current threat. And reading it, I am a bit disappointed to have picked up an older batch so long after the v2 was announced. Do these monitors degrade over time with dead pixels? Or are they okay, assuming you don't have any from the offset?

After looking at the box again, I can see there is a 2nd check seal strip over the original one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom