• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU

Associate
Hey all, I was running a crossfire 7970 setup but recently one of my GPU's died. I don't want to go back to a dual GPU setup as it only worked well in a handful of games. (But when it did work it was great!)

Titles I play are Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, a few oldies like Crysis 3 and BF4 I'd like minimums of 60 fps @ 1080p.

Can anyone recommend a card that will at minimum will be the equivalent performance of my previous crossfire setup? Budget is around £300.

Associate
Last time I checked the 390X was better value than the 970. But considering how well the latter overclocks, it's debatable. I think it's a toss between the two, although the best option would be an used 980.

Associate
Whats the noise like on this card when under load?

I don't find it too loud at all, and I have the side of the case off at the moment. That said, I'm always gaming with speakers or headphones on so a little hard to say. It's certainly quieter than the likes of the jet-engine 280X cards.

Sorry I can't be much more specific on that - in any case I don't find it bothersome, and its silent when not on load.

Associate
R9 390 is the best bang for the buck card at the moment, however it is slightly worse than CF 7970 from what I can guess, it's a lot of guess work compared with some 290x vs 7990 benchmarks though.

You don't run in to any potential CF issues so I'd opt for the 390 to be honest.

Associate
I got a ref 970 which is awesome. If buying now I'd probably go with the MSI 390....but just for the change more then anything else. Either is great.

Associate
Having owned a GTX 970, a 390X and a 290X within the last few months, the GTX 970 was comfortably the best overall and the one I would repurchase if needed. In real world use, they all performed almost identically except in cases such as Project Cars and also GTA V where the Nvidia card was massively ahead, helped further by the fact that my 970 would happily do over 1500 MHz on core on stock volts. These cards are best suited for 1080p so the difference in vram size is neither here nor there (and I also preferred the 290X Vapor-X over the 390X Tri-X).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom