Project Arcade

Permabanned
rsz_testbanner.jpg

Redoing post as apparently images were to big.

Building an arcade machine from a raspberry pi. No the above image is not mispelt. Building it for my nieces and nephews whos surname is Sharp. ** Removed **

** Removed **

So I got my parts a few weeks ago. I have the raspberry pi 2 board which is about £30. Got a 32gb memory card which should hold a nice about of games.

wp_20150905_20_50_31_pro.jpg

Buttons and Stick ordered from Ultracabs. Comes with a USB control board. Easily connects to the pi. Buttons also light up.

wp_20150905_20_54_55_pro.jpg

Wired it up... works well :D

wp_20150906_15_48_00_pro.jpg

wp_20150906_15_54_45_pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
OP
Not sure what design I wanted. I was originally going for a mario and luigi theme.... hence the red and green, but my little nephew loves spiderman so i then changed my mind to a comic book theme.

ive ordered some cool posters to paste on there.

6188dC5I8tL._SL1000_.jpg

Permabanned
OP
Here is the bootup vid i originally made. I decided to stick with the marvel comic book theme.

I am not a pro with after effects but there are some awesome tutorials online so thats how i did the first bit. The second bit i knocked up quickly in Sony Vegas

Boot up takes around 30 seconds anyway so this works well.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Eventually changed the second part of boot up video. I didnt like the quality of it compared to the first bit. Also my partner wanted his name in there as he is helping (a little).

Found another nice tutorial on youtube and amended it to my needs :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
So this is as far as I have got now.....

wp_20150926_16_47_25_pro.jpg

Continuing piecing it together tomorrow. Some of the wood pieces were not correct on that drawing to ive had to recut / sand down some pieces.

Some of the issues come from the MDF wood only being 18mm thick. I think a lot of other countries normally have slight thicker wood such as 20mm... but most timber merchants in the UK seem to only stock up to 18mm.

Caporegime
Hi,

I've removed certain parts from your thread.

Emulator discussion is not allowed so please keep to the hardware aspects only.

Thanks.

Permabanned
OP
Majority of it is built now. I havnt attached the montitor piece yet as i dont know which one to get (something cheap i hope). Then i can measure the thickness to get the glass lying exactly on top of it.

wp_20150927_14_26_30_pro.jpg

Permabanned
OP
im wondering weather to switch to a PC build instead of a raspberry pi. People keep telling me to switch to PC as the software is a lot more customisable, runs better and MAME is much more compatible.

Im not sure what to do, as the Raspberry Pi OS is very smooth, as more importantly, easy for Kids to Navigate.

Anyway, I went to the car boot sale undecided and scouted for a PC just in case. Im now the proud owner of a Core 2 duo pc with 4gb ram for £10! Didnt come with hard drive, but Sister had 2 broken laptops so i nabbed the hard drive out of them... also got a monitor for £5...what a day... so happy :)

wp_20151004_11_47_20_pro.jpg

wp_20151004_13_06_51_pro.jpg

I get a real satisfaction on making something usable again that people find junk.

One question about laptop screens....... it seems a waste to throw a working laptop screen away. I have no idea what this connection is but there must be some of of convertor to HDMI, DVI or VGA. whats the connection called and can i connect it to something else?

wp_20151004_11_42_21_pro.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom