Tank bags - scratching?

Soldato
Hi,
I found the tanklock ones, but that would mean I would never be able to 'quickly' use it (requires a flange thing attached to the filler cap which would be attached the whole time through Scotland of course, but then when I come to use it for something else, it'll be a pain to put the flange back on).

You can just leave the tanklock adapter on permanently, that's how they are intended to be used.

Soldato
Been using tank bags with magnets for years for rallies camping trips e.t.c never had scratch unless your a total **** all will be fine.

edit: I will have a check tomorrow my current bike has done over 4 years of trips with tank bag will take my magnify glass and have looky.

Last edited:
Associate
I've used Quick Lock tank bags on all of my big bikes. They work great, off and on in seconds, no straps, no scratches. U can get different colours of adapter/locking ring. I have grey one on the Speedy but had a black one on the Fireblade etc. Looked fine. I have a 15L bag for work/weekend rides and a bigger (Engage) one for touring :)

Soldato
druids.jpg

The Quick Lock fittings look ugly and cheap and the the bags are to small.

I carry lots of gear.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using tank bags with magnets for years for rallies camping trips e.t.c never had scratch unless your a total **** all will be fine.

As long as you keep the magnets absolutely clean they won't cause deep scratches, but they are almost certain to to put small micro scratches into the paint. This is the kind of thing you can cut out fairly easily however

Soldato
As long as you keep the magnets absolutely clean they won't cause deep scratches, but they are almost certain to to put small micro scratches into the paint. This is the kind of thing you can cut out fairly easily however

Like I said if your not a total **** all is ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
The quick lock tank bags go up to 22 litres. I'm not sure you'd really want anything significantly bigger on the tank.

22 liters will have a look.

Looking at the quick lock tank bag I take it you leave the clip on the tank at all times ?

If so it's dangerous I had a friend who slid up the tank on his xs400 which has a raised petrol cap broke his pelvis and the cap took one of his balls off that's why all new petrol caps are flat or am I wrong ?

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Exactly. I'm not sure how viable it is to keep polishing out the inevitable micro scratches though.

Soldato
Exactly. I'm not sure how viable it is to keep polishing out the inevitable micro scratches though.

The micro scratches you talk about will be in the lacquer which will take 2 mins to cut and bang out.

I checked mine today and to the naked eye I see none after 4 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest it also depends on the colour of your tank on red and black the scratches would be seen more I checked a friends on his gs1000 he has a red tank and there was a some small marks which i buffed out, my current tank is silver so hides very well and can not be seen by naked eye.

I still think it is a good option if your careful I am not to happy with the tank lock option due if in a accident you slide up the tank and loose your undercarriage :D

Friend of mine is part ****** for life after his impact and sliding up the tank.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
22 liters will have a look.

Looking at the quick lock tank bag I take it you leave the clip on the tank at all times ?

If so it's dangerous I had a friend who slid up the tank on his xs400 which has a raised petrol cap broke his pelvis and the cap took one of his balls off that's why all new petrol caps are flat or am I wrong ?

:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom