Parking advice at home

Soldato
So I've lived in my home now for almost a year, and parking hasn't always been ideal, but as of latel it seems to be getting much worse. To the point where I've been blocked in, and my garage has been parked in front of.

Oz0N8tQ.jpg

Ok, so I'll try and explain:

I own house A and garage A is also mine.

Houses A, B, C & D are the only houses on the estate where the garage is set off from the property. Houses F,G,H,I & J are no problem, they have ample parking area both front and rear of the house. House E is the only property which has a small raised area 7 which a car can park on, but spot 6 is know "his", so in effect he is the only person in the whole estate which has bagged 2 parking spots.

So then it's a tussle between houses A, B, C & D for spaces 1,2,3,4,5. Spot 4 isn't an ideal parking spot, but it's frequently used.

My issue is that house B has 2 cars, and they are taking up two spots, then there are 3 other cars from houses C & D. Sometimes guests from houses E maybe up to J are using spots 1,2,3 which royally ***** up everything.

Anyone have similar experience with this? I know the initial response will be to liaise with the neighbors to try and get a mutual agreement in place, but this isn't going to happen. Already had 2 arguments with house E regarding parking.

Is this something I could take to the council? Parking permits maybe with a maximum of 1 permit per household? I know permits have come into force in other streets in the town, probably down do other reasons though.

Soldato
there is no parking rule or parking allocated bays in this estate so i believe there is nothing you can do.

i have 1 car, both side neighbours has 2 cars which cause parking problem sometime. i have to park further up the road. i just accept it

Soldato
Houses with more than 1 car should be courteous enough to realise that they're taking the pee, and park their less used cars accordingly.

The spaces you've marked in red, I'm guessing none of them are actually marked in any way? Is there not enough space to just park in front of your garage? You may block the space marked 1 a little bit, but it isn't actually a defined space so who cares.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Houses with more than 1 car should be courteous enough to realise that they're taking the pee, and park their less used cars accordingly.

The spaces you've marked in red, I'm guessing none of them are actually marked in any way? Is there not enough space to just park in front of your garage? You may block the space marked 1 a little bit, but it isn't actually a defined space so who cares.

I've parked in front of my garage before, but unfortunately it blocked the guy opposite getting his car out.

You have a garage; why aren't you parking in the garage?

The garage needs a good clean, something I haven't managed to get around. The main issue being I can't get a water source to it to spray the floor!

Associate
If there isn't allocated parking, then there's not much you can do.

Even if the council were to implement permits, which is a colossal undertaking, they tend to give people as many permits as they want (for a fee).

I suppose if someone is the landowner you could get a Private Parking Company involved, but I sure as hell wouldn't do that out of choice.

Soldato
Unfortunately you've drawn the worst house for parking on that image, the only real option you've got is park in your garage as they aren't any marked spots even if your neighbours where to add drives on their land you still wouldn't be able to park in 5 or 6.

Soldato
Just going to have to suck this one up I think. It sounds like there's more cars than spaces, so either you manage to get an empty space before someone else, or you don't.

You've got a garage which you aren't using - which is surely a large part of the problem.

Getting the council in is unlikely to help. If they start a permit system, you can bet that you'll lose at least 50% of those 'spaces', when they start marking out designated bays.

Soldato
Is it definitely council owned highway or private (i.e. have the council adopted the road?)

If it is privately owned you may be able to discuss with the land owner a fairer system, if it's council owned it is purely first come first served. Your property does not come with the benefit of an allocated parking space or driveway so there is absolutely nothing you can do.

The simplest solution is to go clear your garage out with some buckets of water and use it to put your car in.

Caporegime
If his garage is being parked in front of, if his car is in there... it will be blocked in? So the problem is still there.

Murder your neighbours, it's the only option. Or move.

Soldato
Knock on the door of the house behind your garage and politely ask him if he has an outside tap you could use for a few minutes? Offer him a few quid or something for the trouble.

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing it's a build up of very fine concrete dust that's built up over the years, it's horrible. Sweeping it about would probably **** my lungs!

Plans for the garage is to have a home gym and storage for bikes. I use the car daily so shouldn't have to fanny around getting in/out of the garage when I should be able to park in one of the 5 spaces that are available.

Just looks like I'm going to have to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom