DENIS

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I assume you want to change the WCG preference to set that to zero so it only cuts in when DENIS is out of action. WCG do things their own special way !

It is under Settings, Device Manager, Device Profiles and at the bottom is Cross Project Settings, I'm assuming that should be changed from 100.0 to 0.0 to achieve the same thing. [Haven't tried it though, some projects don't let you set it to zero.]

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
I had visitors staying over the weekend and expected my output to drop but I think that also coincided with the DENIS ISP losing connections and the failure for everyone to run all the time :D

Also, I've been waiting for DNA work to get sent out but it still hasn't appeared so full speed ahead on DENIS :D:D

Associate
Decided to stick with climate prediction in the end rather than WCG. Got cpdn set to 0 and denis to 100 which works on 2 machines but no the 3rd. The 3rd will not fetch tasks for denis if i have another active project, even if that one is set to 0 and denis 100. It's weird but no more problems with denis so i'm happy for now, just trying to squeeze as much as i can to stay above you for rac, eventually i will catch up !! :D

Associate
DENIS website really really slow today, can't access some of it, i.e. account pages and message board due to timeout :( No issues with work download/upload again though.

Associate
Hmmm, I seem to be plagued with problems with this project, noticed my output dropping so checked:

PC1 - The optimized app had disappeared, have re-downloaded it and put it back in the project folder

PC2 - No longer downloading work again, no tasks

PC3 - No issues, running fast with loads of tasks downloaded and waiting

Bizarre :(

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
OP
Hey currob, none of your machines have updated since early yesterday evening, still having problems ?

I checked mine were all still running the optimised app.
I did lose a whole project from a machine once which was quite strange.

Boycie, see you are up to 3 machines now :D

Associate
Hey currob, none of your machines have updated since early yesterday evening, still having problems ?

Yes, I've had constant problems with the project tbh; not uploading/downloading and, bizarrely, the optimized app disappearing from the project folder. I have to keep removing and adding the project, even tried removing and reinstalling all traces of boinc and the project and reinstalling but same issues.

Hence for the meantime I've put my cpu's into folding at home as that seems to run flawlessly and combined they are giving me an extra 35-40k ppd with just 2 cores on 4460 and 4 cores on each 4790k (10 cores total across 3 cpu's).

I'm going to put Win10 on all 3 machines when I've got some spare time soon (do an upgrade followed by fresh clean install afterwards) and I'll put boinc and denis back on then and see how it goes.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting project! Have signed my machine up to it, but being a lowly Q9550 without a usable GPU I've no idea how much use it'll prove to be. Am running the two tasks I initially downloaded with the stock app, but have since downloaded and unzipped the optimised app so hopefully all other tasks I'll run from now on will use that.

Associate
Interesting project! Have signed my machine up to it, but being a lowly Q9550 without a usable GPU I've no idea how much use it'll prove to be. Am running the two tasks I initially downloaded with the stock app, but have since downloaded and unzipped the optimised app so hopefully all other tasks I'll run from now on will use that.

Sweet, once you unzip the files from the optimised app then start boinc all the tasks should be using it, you'll see the difference in speed imediately :) I'm going to start contributing again soon too.

Soldato
It's safe to say that the optimised app has definitely kicked in...

The stock app takes about an hour, whereas the optimised one is getting through tasks at a ridiculous rate; some are done in less than a minute and a half, with the longest only taking around six minutes to do. Their server(s) must be taking a right hammering with that date rate!

Associate
PC1 - The optimized app had disappeared, have re-downloaded it and put it back in the project folder

Interesting, I think I've found the cause of this ^^

Just cleared the quarantined files in MalwareBytes (I have it run a threat scan nightly and a full scan weekly) and as they were all clearing off the page I'm pretty certain I saw the files, and the path, of the DENIS optimized app.

Fingers crossed, will add the denis path/folder as an exclusion in malwarebytes before reinstalling boinc/denis :)

Associate
guys i've assigned my 5930k @ 90% to this so gpu's can continue with folding with a core each. Anything else I need to do? 53mins estimated time per WU, does that sound right?

Associate
guys i've assigned my 5930k @ 90% to this so gpu's can continue with folding with a core each. Anything else I need to do? 53mins estimated time per WU, does that sound right?

Nope, the optimized app will power through each task in about 3 mins, download the app and unzip the files from the folder that downloaded and put those 2 files in your DENIS project folder (be sure to quit boinc first) Project folder location: c:\program data\boinc\projects\denis.usj.es_denisathome\

Optimized App:
http://optos.sesef.pl/denis

Your 5930 will fly !!!! :)

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, fingers crossed, I've added the whole boinc projects folder as an exclusion in malwarebytes and put boinc back on the pc's, hopefully it won't quarantine the optimized app this time. Back in the game :)

Back
Top Bottom