Potential scam

Soldato
Another possibility:

They were checking to see if anyone was in the property? If someone spotted them knocking on your door and challenged them,

Kind neighbour or eagle eyed Plod: "What are you doing?"

*****: "My drone landed in this houses back garden and i would like it back good sir".

When this claim is followed up, lo and behold the ***** story is actually true! Move along nothing to see.

If however, no challenge and no answer from the property - house is currently unoccupied - whay hey!!! In they go and you come home to no TV.

Associate
Get a boyger alarm they are cheap enough something that makes a loud external noise never mind ringing Plod The Uk Plod are a waste of space - backed up by a useless justice system. Good to be on ones guard and self-reliant

Permabanned
Just curious, what do travellers 'seem like'?

Another possibility:

They were checking to see if anyone was in the property? If someone spotted them knocking on your door and challenged them,

Kind neighbour or eagle eyed Plod: "What are you doing?"

*****: "My drone landed in this houses back garden and i would like it back good sir".

When this claim is followed up, lo and behold the ***** story is actually true! Move along nothing to see.

If however, no challenge and no answer from the property - house is currently unoccupied - whay hey!!! In they go and you come home to no TV.

Because that happens all the time... :D

Caporegime
Just curious, what do travellers 'seem like'?

Because that happens all the time... :D

Um...Yeah it does. At my old place they used to pose as the usual scrap man. They'd ride on the back of trucks looking over garden walls and fences if they saw something they liked they'd hop over and go for it. They always showed up whenever someone was getting work done on the house.
Next door had a brand new-boxed and packaged cast iron bathtub end up in the van. Police caught them red handed and were given the excuse 'it's scrap metal'. What., brand new, in a box, with the delivery sticker on it still?

Last edited:
Associate
Um...Yeah it does. At my old place they used to pose as the usual scrap man. They'd ride on the back of trucks looking over garden walls and fences if they saw something they liked they'd hop over and go for it. They always showed up whenever someone was getting work done on the house.
Next door had a brand new-boxed and packaged cast iron bathtub end up in the van. Police caught them red handed and were given the excuse 'it's scrap metal'. What., brand new, in a box, with the delivery sticker on it still?

Similar tactics:
I watched one of the many "lets film the police" shows on tv where they caught criminals posing as window cleaners and they actually start washing your windows whilst looking inside to see if it's worth breaking in.

Associate
Get a boyger alarm they are cheap enough something that makes a loud external noise never mind ringing Plod The Uk Plod are a waste of space - backed up by a useless justice system. Good to be on ones guard and self-reliant

This.

Much like when you get travellers set up camp at parks, police/council just give them a notice to leave within a week, which more often than not (from personal experience) they've just carried on living there for a few weeks after. When they finally do leave they always leave trash everywhere. ******* scumbags.

Soldato
Had a group of (what seemed like) travellers knock on the door earlier saying they had accidentally 'crashed' their drone in my back garden. I back onto a park so it didn't seem too suspect. Anyway I went and retrieved said drone and handed it back. Didn't hear anything more.

However it got me thinking for a while as it just didn't seem quite right. The drone wasn't 'crashed' in my garden. It was well landed, upright, and with flashing lights etc all functioning so clearly still powered. There was also a nice camera mounted underneath, presumably recording, which I have now just unwittingly shown the contents of my house as I walked back through to my front door.

Thoughts? Overthinking it? Or am I going to come home from work next week to find my TV has been nicked?

Interesting that you're from Bristol too, is this North Bristol per chance? They are everywhere.

I literally hate them. Not just dislike, but HATE them with a passion.
This isn't unwarranted, me and my family/friends have all had run ins with them. Urgh.

box

box

Associate
OP
Interesting that you're from Bristol too, is this North Bristol per chance? They are everywhere.

Correct :) Yea I've seen a few pitch up over the past few months. There were some in Bradley Stoke for ages and then a whole village of caravans appeared in a park near me a few months back.

Well sounds like I wasn't being too cynical in my concern at least. I'll just have to stay alert I suppose. To be fair, there are quite a few elderly couples on this street, making it a bit of a prime target for this sort of thing.

Soldato
Had a group of (what seemed like) travellers knock on the door earlier saying they had accidentally 'crashed' their drone in my back garden...
Thoughts? Overthinking it? Or am I going to come home from work next week to find my TV has been nicked?

No you're not over-thinking it. It's quite possible that had an elderly person opened the door instead of a fit bloke they'd have taken advantage. You should speak to the police and your neighbourhood watch / residents association etc to find out if anyone else has reported it. It used to be youths with footballs, and they'd steal cash or other small valuables laying around as they went through the house to your garden.

And flying the drone as they were is against the CAA regs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom