Need help with a strange wireless issue

Associate
I hope you guys might be able to provide some assistance with a strange wireless networking issues that I now seem to have at home.

The issue being that despite being connected to my Wireless network on the 2.4Ghz band when I browse from any wireless device it bring up the welcome page you get if you are using a BT Homehub as your router (which I am not).

From my laptop if I look at the IPconfig of the wifi adapter it has a default gateway address of 198.168.1.254. However if I connect the laptop to my 5ghz network it picks up the correct ip address 198.168.1.1.

If I look at the admin portal on my asus router the IP of the router and both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks appear to be 192.168.1.1.

The only thing that was different recently is that I installed a set of Devolo homeplugs one to connect the router to the power socket then a wifi enabled one in the lounge. Then as they seem to work so well my neighbor 2 floors above also got the same setup.

I first noticed the issue this morning when trying to browse on my tablet and instead of going to the page I was after I just got the Welcome to BT page (I am with Plusnet). When I then looked at my router admin page there where 26 devices connected including an Iphone and ipad which I don't have any of.

I also noticed on the Devolo app on my tablet 3 homeplug devices, 2 which I assume are mine and one must be his. Even though I have unplugged my 2 and rebooted the router the issue remains.

What I was planning to do was to remove them get everything back to normal then ring Devolo to see how I can stop his units connecting to mine as I assume the issue is down to being in a block of flats and having a common feed from the street / or common Earth?

Soldato
Did you use the pairing buttons on the Powerline adapters? If you didn't they'll be using default keys which means they might connect to any other adapters in range.

Associate
OP
It seems like it was something to do with setting up the home plugs using WPS. I have now found the web interface where I can setup the wireless networks manually in both my neighbors flat and my flat. So all seems to be working as it should now.

To stop any future issues I have turned off WPS on my home plugs and router.

Back
Top Bottom